Home U.S. Coin Forum

2002 penny on a old comic coin

So I was looking under the scop on coins to see if I can find errors and I saw this not sure what to think about it but it looks like comic characters I saw more then the pics I took and words but it’s hard to Distinguish what they are some of it is faint I know there’s damage to the coin so you can’t make out all the letters and images would like some input from you guys it come in at 2.53 grams

Comments

• OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Circulation damage/scratches. The weight is well within the 2.50 +/- 0.10 gms spec.

Suggestion: Don't waste your time weighing and magnifying random coins. Do that for dates that have significant varieties like those found in the cherry pickers guide. Also no need for high mag. If you can't see something different with normal vision or glasses, it's unlikely it will have any extra value.

Doubleddie.com and Varietyvista.com are filled with numerous examples of minor doubled dies and repunched mm that have very little interest

Member of the ANA since 1982

• Did a little digging because it looks like a face and some comic characters and this is what I found

But I was bored and didn’t have anything to do so I just killed some time typically I wouldn’t but looking at it I noticed what looks like raised lettering not scratches so that’s when I put it under the scope and found multiple images and words under the scope you can see it better but it’s definitely noticeable with out a scope so I figured I would ask around

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:

Did a little digging because it looks like a face and some comic characters and this is what I found

But I was bored and didn’t have anything to do so I just killed some time typically I wouldn’t but looking at it I noticed what looks like raised lettering not scratches so that’s when I put it under the scope and found multiple images and words under the scope you can see it better but it’s definitely noticeable with out a scope so I figured I would ask around

If raised, it's maybe a die gouge. It is not comic anything. How, exactly, would such an entity come into being at the mint?

• Not sure but there was a coin minted on a no cash value coin so it can happen but as some have said damage and wear so I figured I would just around

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2022 6:52AM

There's a comic character around here all right.......but not on the coin......

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:
    Not sure but there was a coin minted on a no cash value coin so it can happen but as some have said damage and wear so I figured I would just around

I've never heard of a coin struck on a "no cash value token", can you post any information on it, or a link to it?

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

You are seeing Post Mint Damage (PMD) on the coin. It is not comic characters or words. Cheers, RickO

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't see a comic, with or without magnification. Are you really seriously seeing a drawing?

• @lcutler said:

@Coin_Hunter said:
    Not sure but there was a coin minted on a no cash value coin so it can happen but as some have said damage and wear so I figured I would just around

I've never heard of a coin struck on a "no cash value token", can you post any information on it, or a link to it?

I’m sure I saw it on TikTok #thecoinchannel with Eric miller I’ll see if I can find it and take a screen shot unless I can save the video and post it in this thread

• @Icutler I just found it it was on a YouTube channel that I follow couch collectibles and I took a screen shot of it actually graded

• OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:
    @Icutler I just found it it

Wow...wonder what the backstory is on this....can't believe it graded MS 65!

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:
    @Icutler I just found it it was on a YouTube channel that I follow couch collectibles and I took a screen shot of it actually graded

Definate shanagans going on with this one. Someone stopped by the arcade back in the 80's.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug...
  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:
    @Icutler I just found it it was on a YouTube channel that I follow couch collectibles and I took a screen shot of it actually graded

Almost certainly not a circulation find. There have been instances of mint shenanigans , most notably in the early 70s in San Francisco and 90s or 00s with the Philly fork truck oil pan smuggling. These errors where smuggled from the mint, and did not find there way into circulation. I would strongly suspect the token graded MS65 never saw circulation

There is a lot of contention In the collecting community regarding the legitimacy of these errors, but they are legal to own and do bring strong prices.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,618 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:
    @Icutler I just found it it was on a YouTube channel that I follow couch collectibles and I took a screen shot of it actually grade

If you can't see the difference between that coin and your scratched coin...well, I don't know what to tell you other than to study more coins.

• lcutlerlcutler Posts: 496 ✭✭✭✭

@Coin_Hunter said:

Really cool, thanks for the info!

• FrazFraz Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 29, 2022 6:16AM

When I learned about the 1909 matte proof Lincoln cent, I used a digital microscope to transform fourteen 1909 VDB business strikes into matte proofs. It only took ten hours for each coin.

• What? How?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file