Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Look what I found-2 toned mercs-1943 and 1945-S-UPDATE

TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 3, 2022 1:31PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Found at my favorite coin shop and purchased for a bit of a premium. Both were sold as 66 No FB. Personally I grade the 43 as a 65, but who really cares. I'll get them graded at some point with TrueViews, and I'll post in about a year at current turnaround times.
Comments welcome. Sorry for the bad pics, taken quickly with my IPhone and then cropped.

1943 10c with obverse toning.

1945-S 10c-not as nicely toned but a bit higher grade.

Tom

Comments

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Both look artificially toned.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 24, 2022 11:42AM

Interesting! I hope not and I thought they were NT. But I am no expert and we'll see. I know my shop wouldn't mess with them, but perhaps someone else did. And that is, in part, why I posted pics.

But what makes you think so, if I can ask? For example, the reverse of the 1943 is fully original with original skin. That leads me to believe that the obverse also is original and at least the 2nd pic appears to make it look original. And all that I did was point and shoot against different color backgrounds. I had light but it looked too washed out so I turned the light out. And I don't think the flash went off but perhaps it did. The 1945-s isn't dramatically toned, so is of less interest but it also appears original, at least to my eye.

Tom

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

@DelawareDoons said:

I must disagree on the first one, it appears to follow the Sunnywood toning progression. The second coin I am still on the fence about but I'm leaning more towards AT.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first obverse picture of the 1943 makes it look artificially toned and the second one makes it look at least questionable.
    The obverse pictures of the 1945-S make it look questionable and the reverse ones make it look artificially toned.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

@DelawareDoons said:

I must disagree on the first one, it appears to follow the Sunnywood toning progression. The second coin I am still on the fence about but I'm leaning more towards AT.

The shades are off. I'm sure it's AT.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 20, 2022 4:05PM

They are out there in straight graded holders.

More blue/green on the OP coins head but similar.

• Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,107 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations.
    Beautiful coins!

peacockcoins

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice pickups with great grades.
    At first glance, I too thought they were AT.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats! The 1943 is just what I like. Seeing this post for the first time, I can see why some folks said AT based on the cell phone pics. Good call on getting them graded and True Viewed.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

@FlyingAl said:

@DelawareDoons said:

Looks like a cheap cardboard album. I don't b get into the NT vs AT fiction.

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lovely! Well done Sir!

• Options
    nwcoastnwcoast Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic outcome and a hearty congratulations!!!
    Beautiful coins and thanks for the follow up :-)

Happy, humble, honored and proud recipient of the “You Suck” award 10/22/2014

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Nicely done!

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭

Congrats!

image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,812 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TPRC... Very nice Merc dimes... If it were not for that darned tarnish... ;):D Cheers, RickO

• Options

Looks like I was wrong, congrats.

Though I will say the toning seems much more natural in the TV's, and if I'd seen those initially, I doubt I would have called them AT.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coins and nice grades. Lovely toners.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file