Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NP: 1794 Large Cent (new pic by Bob added)

CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 19, 2022 8:11AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Edited to add new picture taken by @robec

I've always wanted a quality 1794 Large Cent and this coin represents an upgrade from an earlier one I had purchased/sold. This coin was a major expenditure for me and I perhaps paid too much to acquire it, yet I have no regrets. Click on the lower right corner for a larger view:

I'm not posting the TV since it is too dark when compared to the coin in hand. The video provides its true nature. The surfaces are really wonderful (but it does have a very tiny planchet pit in front of the face - insignificant). There is a slight scratch on the holder, not on Liberty's face.

This is the S-30 variety and in 1870, Dr. Edward Maris named this variety the "Amiable Face," for the pleasant expression to Liberty's portrait, a gentlemanly revision of his racier first moniker published in 1869, the "Amatory Face."

Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia about this year in our country's history:

Federal Government

President: George Washington (no political party-Virginia)
Vice President: John Adams (F-Massachusetts)
Chief Justice: John Jay (New York)
Speaker of the House of Representatives: Frederick Muhlenberg (Anti-Admin.-Pennsylvania)
Congress: 3rd
Governors and Lieutenant Governors

Events

January 13 – The U.S. Congress enacts a law providing for, effective May 1, 1795, a United States flag of 15 stars and 15 stripes, in recognition of the recent admission of Vermont and Kentucky as the 14th and 15th states.[1] A subsequent act restores the number of stripes to 13, but provides for additional stars upon the admission of each additional state.

February 11 – The first session of the United States Senate is open to the public.
March 14 – Eli Whitney is granted a patent for the cotton gin.
March 27 – The United States Government authorizes the building of the first six United States Navy vessels (in 1797 the first 3 frigates, USS United States, USS Constellation and USS Constitution go into service), not to be confused with October 13, 1775, which is observed as the Navy's Birthday Archived 2015-01-01 at the Wayback Machine.

July 17 – Whiskey Rebellion: 500 armed Pennsylvanians attack and burn the home of General John Neville.
August 7 – Whiskey Rebellion: President Washington invokes the Militia Acts of 1792 mobilize a federal army of 12,500 men. The force would later be put under the command of General "Light Horse Harry" Lee to be led into western Pennsylvania against the insurrection.
September 10 – The University of Tennessee is established at Knoxville.
October 14: Washington reviews the army assembled against the Whiskey Rebellion
November – Whiskey Rebellion: The federal army quells the uprising and begins the return march to Philadelphia with prisoners.

November 19 – The United States and Great Britain sign the Jay Treaty (coming into effect 1796), which attempts to clear up some issues left over from the American Revolutionary War[2] and secures a decade of peaceful trade between the two nations.[3] Britain agrees to evacuate border forts in the Northwest Territory (roughly the area north of the Ohio River and east of the Mississippi) and thereby end British support for the Indians.
December 8 – The Great New Orleans Fire (1794) burns over 200 buildings in the French Quarter.
December 23 – St. Louis Cathedral, New Orleans is dedicated.

Undated
Thomas Paine's The Age of Reason, dedicated to "Fellow Citizens of the United States of America", is published.
Springfield Armory is founded, one of the most universally known and influential gun producers in the United States.

Ongoing
Northwest Indian War (1785–1795)

If you have a coin from 1794, please feel free to share here! :)

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"

Comments

• Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

You have found a great example to add to your collection. It certainly was a major expenditure. The Liberty Cap is also my current focus for my type set. I am hoping to find a 1795 plain edge so I can get the highest grade for the price. You are correct that the TV is dark, but using that for details and your video for color gives a good overall picture. I would like to see others here who are more expert in EAC grading than I am to give their inputs. I think it would grade about EAC VF30.

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,940 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! You did good.

• Options
    MidLifeCrisisMidLifeCrisis Posts: 10,519 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent...Congratulations!

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,436 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

😘 she is beautiful @Catbert
    Here the picture Upped on contrast / brightness etc
    It is truly a BEAUTIFUL coin!

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great piece! Sometimes you have to stretch…

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gorgeous example! I'm glad you found one up to your standards. You have to pay up for quality, but you won't regret it.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,295 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! @Catbert
    That is an enviable coin. Beauty for an early cent. Thanks for sharing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@Paradisefound said:
    😘 she is beautiful @Catbert
    Here the picture Upped on contrast / brightness etc
    It is truly a BEAUTIFUL coin!

Yikes! I appreciate the attempt dear PF , but it’s a milk chocolate color. I’ll send to robec eventually for his accurate photographic magic.

Thanks to all for the comments!

• Options

All wonderful Eddi. I know your home would be classified as a lived in museum with coins like these lying about. They are all wonderful.

I imagine we could be sipping coffee in your study and then to my right on the windowsill would be oh say a raw early half cent to pick up and discuss. Next up a piece of silver glinting on a bookshelf.

What time was that again to visit? 😉

• Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fantastic addition!

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,470 ✭✭✭✭✭

CB, you continue to show time and time again that you want exceptional quality. Well done again!

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful!!! Outstanding surfaces and color... well done!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful coin... Congratulations.... I am fascinated by any U.S. coin whose date starts with 17.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet looking piece @Catbert

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert

What a gorgeous coin with great character, and wonderful color and surfaces! And thank you for the write up regarding the variety.

Wow!! Just WOW!!! <3

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:
    All wonderful Eddi. I know your home would be classified as a lived in museum with coins like these lying about. They are all wonderful.

I imagine we could be sipping coffee in your study and then to my right on the windowsill would be oh say a raw early half cent to pick up and discuss. Next up a piece of silver glinting on a bookshelf.

What time was that again to visit? 😉

You are welcome anytime you wish :)

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is one really nice large. The die characteristics are very interesting. Thanks for sharing your accomplishment. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    YorkshiremanYorkshireman Posts: 4,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice!

Yorkshireman,Obsessed collector of round, metallic pieces of history.Hunting for Latin American colonial portraits plus cool US & British coins.
  • Options
    WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

So that is how my 1794 coin is SUPPOSED to look like!🤣😂

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 21, 2022 8:41AM

if you have another order going in anytime soon, i'd request another TV, that one was obviously washed-out. crap happens and it is easily remedied.

lovely early large cent!

not matter what, i can never shake the notion of what it was like for people in that era to be using these as pie crimps, bread, milk, clothes etc.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

New pic by Bob - much more accurate than TV:

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,823 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting the updated pic... I never get tired of looking at that piece!!

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great coin!

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow great coin indeed, I am sure that it brings a smile when viewed in hand.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    opportunityopportunity Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭✭

That's cool. One of the easiest to recognize...the lower curls narrow it down to the S-30 and S-31 at a glace, with the dead giveaway being the right ribbon.

Early American Copper, Bust and Seated.

• Options

@Nysoto said:
    That is a great 1794 cent. Liberty does have an "amiable" appearance.

Another 1794 example F12 to show how nice the @Catbert coin really is

Am I the only one that likes that one better? :#

Young Numismatist

• Options
    JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

What are you doing paying too much for a premium coin. We don’t pay too much here don’t you know that ? We buy crap for bargain prices.

• Options
    bigtime36bigtime36 Posts: 961 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely stunning 😍

Collect raw morgans, walkers, mercs, SLQ, barber q. Looking at getting into earlier date coins pre 1900s.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file