Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this an example of natural or artificial toning?

Could someone help me with their expertise? I don’t wanna be feeling stupid if I got it to find it is some bs 😆

Comments

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭

Artificial

Trade $'s
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like an ugly attempt at artificial tarnish.... Which would make it UAAT. :D Cheers, RickO

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like liver of sulfur toning. Artificial.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Bdog9027Bdog9027 Posts: 46 ✭✭

Figured it was just some has been trying to swindle people. Well I have one more example to show if anyone views my discussion

• Options
    Bdog9027Bdog9027 Posts: 46 ✭✭

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bdog9027 said:

Looks AT too

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clearly AT, but It’s bullion and doesn’t matter. If you find enjoyment in the colors, then good for you! 🙂

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first one is definitely AT, the second one probably AT, if there was about 50% less color I might say Natural Toning but as it is that's pretty wild...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first is definitely AT. The second is probably AT.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glaring examples of AT, someone was baking coins in a potato for fun and profit

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 6:33AM

Hard boiled eggs in a Tupperware container with your coin produces a lighter toning than your examples. Colors too vivid ( yes , we experimented).
    AT all the way.
    I would like to add the catalog guys are selling AT ( advertised as such) ase’s so it would seem to becoming a regular deal.
    I don’t care AT or natural ( which is a huge discussion point) their all natural or their all artificial . If I like it, I buy it. Because……,.
    Collect what you like. Thanks 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,443 ✭✭✭✭✭

A quick dip in E-Z-Est will fix them. :D

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

1 AT

2 Possible NT

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ugly, ugly artificial toning.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options

🙁

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bdog9027 said:
    🙁

Hey, at least you hadn't bought them yet... I like the looks of the second if the colors were just slightly more muted.

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options

@erwindoc said:

@Bdog9027 said:

Looks AT too

You should ask yourself. In 22 years ( ase 1990) how would this intense color occur? What natural thing happened to cause what your seeing
    After looking at many different toners you will get better and don’t stop looking for toners. I collect em and as I said, don’t care how it happened. Only that it’s pleasing to me 😉🙀🦫

• Options
    JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1990, it's been sitting in coin drawers for over 30 years now. I'm not saying the OP's coins are NT, but the intense colors do happen without chemistry.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog said:
    My 1990, it's been sitting in coin drawers for over 30 years now. I'm not saying the OP's coins are NT, but the intense colors do happen without chemistry.

Yes, those cardboard holders do artificially toned a coin naturally.

I still think it's a silly distinction. The agency of the low-grade high sulfur cardboard creates the toning. That is equivalent to putting it in a potato at room temperature. But it is called "natural" (by some) even though it is man made.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

paper/cardboard toning. Might be intentional, might not.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    I still think it's a silly distinction.

It is silly, isn't it? If you deliberately put a coin in a holder you know will cause toning with the intention that the coin ends up toned, it's AT but if it just happens to get put in a comparable holder with no particularly intended outcome and winds up toned, it's NT.

Yeah, sure. ;)

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just like artificially white coins. :D

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a NOGO!

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Horrible attempt at AT

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've seen this type of toning before. Not sure if the same method was used but it looks like it was dipped and purposely not rinsed off. AT

• Options
    spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually natural toning has more muted coloration and also has more gradual changes from one color to another. Hard toning edges are usually a good sign of high likelihood of artificial toning.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@JeffersonFrog said:

Yes, those cardboard holders do artificially toned a coin naturally.

I still think it's a silly distinction. The agency of the low-grade high sulfur cardboard creates the toning. That is equivalent to putting it in a potato at room temperature. But it is called "natural" (by some) even though it is man made.

LOL. By your reasoning everything is AT then, because all coins start out brilliant. One doesn't accidentally place a coin inside a potato... but they can put a brilliant coin in paper 2x2 envelope or their newly purchased Wayte Raymond or Library Of Coins album in the 30s/40s/50s/60s with no foreknowledge of how it would look decades later. Even the earliest ASEs are now 36 years old...that' s plenty of time for them to acquire toning on their own that is natural (like that of JeffersonFrog's piece- nice coin btw.)
    I think for most people, when they think of AT they think of something purposely done, perhaps with the intent to deceive, hide issues, etc.. As the name implies, NT pieces happen naturally, as a byproduct of whatever environment/album/holder/folder/envelope they were stored in. Remember the killer rainbow toned Oregon Trail that sold for, I believe, $69,000 some time back that would have been less than $10K at the time if brilliant? Or the $54K toner FB Merc being discussed elsewhere on these forums? Would that have brought the same money untoned?

As to the OP coin... toning from a bottle IMO.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    One doesn't accidentally place a coin inside a potato... but they can put a brilliant coin in paper 2x2 envelope or their newly purchased Wayte Raymond or Library Of Coins album in the 30s/40s/50s/60s with no foreknowledge of how it would look decades later.

Of course that happens. But then again, other people intentionally put coins in Wayte Raymond or Library Of Coins albums because they know it will tone them. Doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to be anything natural about that.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@telephoto1 said:
    One doesn't accidentally place a coin inside a potato... but they can put a brilliant coin in paper 2x2 envelope or their newly purchased Wayte Raymond or Library Of Coins album in the 30s/40s/50s/60s with no foreknowledge of how it would look decades later.

Of course that happens. But then again, other people intentionally put coins in Wayte Raymond or Library Of Coins albums because they know it will tone them. Doesn't seem (to me, anyway) to be anything natural about that.

Putting a coin inside an old album hoping it might tone an attractive color months or years down the line isn't the same as taking the coin and dousing it with chemicals to hide an issue or problem and/or with the intent to hornswoggle someone.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

@telephoto1 said:
    Putting a coin inside an old album hoping it might tone an attractive color months or years down the line isn't the same as taking the coin and dousing it with chemicals to hide an issue or problem and/or with the intent to hornswoggle someone.

No, it's not. And (aside from the intention to tone the coin) I'm not suggesting otherwise.

• Options

I suppose it gets down to philosophy.
    There’s those who say any act by man is divinely driven and therefore natural.
    There’s those who believe that everything is random and therefore possible natural but doesn’t explain AT.
    Then there’s those who don’t believe and therefore it doesn’t matter. Making judgment calls about it is up to individual preferences.
    Then there’s me who don’t care about AT or NT. I buy what I like.
    Some random thoughts. 😉🙀🦫

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

AT. Artificial

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file