Home U.S. Coin Forum

Who still wants a Negro Leagues Privy Silver Dollar ?

HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better hurry up as only 927 left and they could be sold out in a few months. :D

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater

Comments

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 11:10AM

HATTRICK wrote: Better hurry up as only 927 left and they could be sold out in a few months. :D

It is commentary like this that makes participating here so rich... And I will stop there.

edited to add initial post that started the thread

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• HATTRICKHATTRICK Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭✭✭

Remember that as commemoratives these coins will not be on sale after the end of the year

" If you push something hard enough, it will fall over. " The 1st Law of Opposition from The Firesign Theater
  • Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was just looking at mine and wondering why these didn’t do well? I like the design but there’s been some discussion about the lack of certain elements and the inclusion of others. Anyway, it’s a shame. 😉🦫🙀

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin.... However, not at that price. I would consider it at about half that price. Cheers, RickO

@ricko said:
    Nice coin.... However, not at that price. I would consider it at about half that price. Cheers, RickO

That seems to be the issue with many coins as well as almost everything else these days.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just another overpriced modern made-for-collector issue.

All glory is fleeting.
  • kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 10, 2022 10:51AM

Are we ignoring that five dollar gold uncirculated coin? 😵‍💫

The law enforcement five dollar uncirculated coin hasn’t moved much in the aftermarket despite being a heavy key so I think I can understand why.

It’s hard to believe the Jackie Robinson $5 gold used to bring 5K

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.

The number of Boomers that can be hyped into believing artificial limited quantity equals high value and appreciation is dwindling rapidly and all that went up will come down and the market for them will disappear.

Dodgers visiting the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum today before the Diamond Celebration game.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HATTRICK said:
    All in fun but demonstrates the demise of massive flipping of mint products. In spite of all the hype the flipability has died and collectors are able to purchase the coins they want at mint prices.

Disclaimer: I did purchase five of these as prizes and a lesson in history for kids in my grandson's little league team.

And the collectors are losing more money faster...

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 13, 2022 3:31PM

@Jzyskowski1 said:
    I was just looking at mine and wondering why these didn’t do well? I like the design but there’s been some discussion about the lack of certain elements and the inclusion of others. Anyway, it’s a shame. 😉🦫🙀

One missing element I thought was curious is a curved shape, given the recent baseball and basketball coins. I wonder why they didn't make this a curved coin like the other recent "ball" coins.

Did the curved baseball and basketball coins sell well?

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:
    All in fun but demonstrates the demise of massive flipping of mint products. In spite of all the hype the flipability has died and collectors are able to purchase the coins they want at mint prices.

Disclaimer: I did purchase five of these as prizes and a lesson in history for kids in my grandson's little league team.

Are collectors losing money if the purchase at Mint prices, either from the Mint or on the secondary market?

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could be worth millions some day

• JazzmanJABJazzmanJAB Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:
    Could be worth millions some day

Avoid Disappointment and Future Regret.

edited September 28, 2022 7:00PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@HATTRICK said:

Not correct as collectors can buy much cheaper than the ridiculous prices flippers create when a product is in demand.
    Thankfully the big boys will now be able to get what the need without going to the flippers market and the flippers will crash and burn.

Not Available ! Remind me ! Your time is up.

• kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    I think that privy marks are a gimmick, but I know that’s a minority opinion.

These will be the darling of the Home Shopping Network auctions for years to come. 😨

"I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2022 1:56PM

@HATTRICK said:
    Not Available ! Remind me ! Your time is up.

Drat! ;)

I did buy the three piece set, but that might be my last modern commemorative set of coins.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 447 ✭✭✭✭✭

I purchased the proof and uncirculated half dollar and silver dollar issues, along with the silver dollar and medal set and the privy mark silver dollar. Gold is too rich for me, so these six coins will do it.

• djmdjm Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭✭✭

I ordered them months ago and still have not received them. I don't care if I get them or not at this point.

• jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2022 7:34PM

They are terrible quality; spots, smudges, lint/fabric in capsule... I'd advise anyone with an order to cancel, or be ready to return what they get. These may be the worst quality coins I've ever seen come directly from the U.S. Mint.

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 1, 2022 7:51PM

@jessewvu said:
    They are terrible quality; spots, smudges, lint/fabric in capsule... I'd advise anyone with an order to cancel, or be ready to return what they get. These may be the worst quality coins I've ever seen come directly from the U.S. Mint.

Stick around..............more to come.
    I believe we are all in a world where nobody gives a damn anymore, And no one is accountable!
    They don't care if the coin has problems, they just ship it and hope that you just give up on returning it and knowing that it will take months to get your money back, IF you get your money back. They got the money!

• 7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,228 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ah, sorry for peoples' coins not pleasant. I got 5 different issues of the half dollar and dollar and there was excellent quality all around, really superb. I was not pleasantly amused by the lousy quality of the OGP holder on the gold half dollar which was cheesier than the privy marked dollar.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file