Home U.S. Coin Forum

Great GSA 1882-CC Morgans!

Comments

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 1:31AM

Thanks! I missed that one earlier somehow! Great thread :+1:

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I still do not understand why the coin was named 'The Grand Snake'... and no one has yet provided an answer. Why and who named the coin??? Cheers, RickO

• ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,811 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    I still do not understand why the coin was named 'The Grand Snake'... and no one has yet provided an answer. Why and who named the coin??? Cheers, RickO

David Camire actually provided that info. The name is from the US Mint and "snake" is US Mint terminology for what the hobby calls "off-center".

David Camire said:
    It was referred to as the “Grand Snake” by Mint technicians. The terminology used internally by the Mint does not always correspond directly to what is used in the numismatic/collecting community. Thus, a “snake” coin is referred to as an off-center by collectors.

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭

Awesome offcentered

• fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 9:20AM

Those are important toned specimens as they presumably went directly from the bag to the sorting tray and then holder.

Sidestepping the dip-friendly / AT / grubby-handed dealers and collectors. IMO that should be added value.

• DrewUDrewU Posts: 151 ✭✭✭

A little more fun backstory on the “Grand Snake” terminology. In early 1973 the GSA started to use a photo of the dramatic 82-CC off-center Morgan to publicize the first GSA sale. They ended up issuing a press release that caught the attention of Arnie Margolis who was the editor of Error Coin Trends Magazine which was a segment of the hobby that was really starting to come into it’s own. When the GSA issued a press release calling the coin a “Grand Snake” error, Margolis wrote an irate letter to the administrator of the sale admonishing him for using nomenclature completely foreign to error collectors. This actually started a friendly dialogue that I believe led to the visit that @FredWeinberg has mentioned a few times on the boards where they went and viewed all of the various errors discovered in the trove of 2.9m coins. Here is a brief excerpt from Margolis’s 1973 Mint Errors on Carson City Silver Dollars that tells a really fun part of the story.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... Thank you very much... That makes it clear. Cheers, RickO

• NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow interesting!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file