Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Your Best Bourse Experience

keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post Yours! :smile:

Mine was Cherrypicking a dealer at FUN that did not want to give me the time of day for the first ever discovered Mint State example of the 1941 DDO Merc. The coin was toned and raw. I paid $50 for it because of the toning, the coin graded PCGS MS65 (7 points higher than the next highest example) and I later sold it for close to $2,000 at auction.

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

The year at the IPMS in Memphis where I bought 11 different National Bank Notes from my home state.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great formative recollection Todd!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    keyman64keyman64 Posts: 15,455 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    My best experiences are chatting with friends and buying coins that look great in hand.

I can agree with this. Some of us don't get out as much as we should so going to a big show and having the opportunity to spend time with friends in a hobby that we really enjoy makes it pretty great, The coins we buy could just be nice souvenirs from the experience. I'll post a another really great experience later. :smile:

"If it's not fun, it's not worth it." - KeyMan64
    Looking for Top Pop Mercury Dime Varieties & High Grade Mercury Dime Toners. :smile:
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 9, 2022 6:29AM

I liked all coin shows when I lived in areas that had them. Particularly the PNW... They had great shows and I met a few forum members there. Chatting with collectors and dealers is - for me- an important part of the hobby. I find it enjoyable, informative and often some good laughs. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins said:
    My best experiences are chatting with friends and buying coins that look great in hand.

Yes! The first FUN show I attended, I was lucky to meet several members here and had a great time discussing coins with them over a few beers. It was also the first time I'd really talked coins with someone in 30 years (the local dealer offers good prices for bullion and junk silver but he isn't talkative except over politics), and I'd forgotten how many great people enjoy this hobby.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always had good interactions with the HA professionals at major shows as well as the Hendricksons who ran Silvertowne.

• Options
    No HeadlightsNo Headlights Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brian Greer, Dave Kahn, Liz Coggan. Always a good experience. My three favorites.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 12:15PM

When I was senior in High School in the early 80s, my buddy and I skipped school on a Friday and drove 75 miles to a larger regional show in my 1969 Triumph Spitfire with the top down on a Nice late spring day.

Had a great conversation with Art Kagin about full bell line Fraklins, bought a copy of one of the first large Krause World coin volumes, and picked a 1745 Geo II LIMA 3 pence and rare Canadian Blacksmith token in a 50 cent junk box. (Years later I traded the Blacksmith token for a very nice Mass copper!)

Drove back over the mountain ridge with the car overheating but made it home. A good time was had by all.

BTW: I attended a lot of local shows in HS and college and can't recall any horror stories worthy of the other thread. Nothing more than being ignored if the dealer was busy with others. Generally, many dealers were very willing to help a young guy if they weren't busy. Maybe I just got lucky.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,686 ✭✭✭✭✭

@No Headlights said:
    Brian Greer, Dave Kahn, Liz Coggan. Always a good experience. My three favorites.

I enjoy talking with David Kahn, I saw him last week. :)

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic said:
    Agreed... the good experiences vastly outweigh the bad ones.

I was working on the second iteration of my 7070 Type Set and looking for 3CN's. I was all over the map grade wise on that set but wanted to get as nice of a piece as I could get. I happened upon Lynn Ourso at Baltimore and we talked for a bit... he sold me a super clean 3 center for AU money... turned out to be MS63.

JJ Teaparty... too many positive experiences to narrow it down to just one... especially when Liz was there.

When I got back into Large Cents I had the fortune of meeting Tom Reynolds... again in Baltimore. I think it was a Saturday, but the show was pretty slow. Tom gave me a 15 minute tutorial... complete with stunning examples... on what to look for on early copper. I ended up buying the 1837 I have in my Type Set... and many more pieces over the years... great guy... incredible stock!

I could go on... but those are the top 3 that spring to mind...

Tom Reynolds is a great guy. I always stop and say hi and chat a little bit when he’s got nothing going on.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    DollarAfterDollarDollarAfterDollar Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I almost never buy anything at shows but I look forward to a few Dealers inventory just to look. Dennis King has the most impressive toners I've ever seen. Angel Dee has the most impressive cents and Dealers like Legend just bring the power coins that would all be mine if the damn lottery would just cooperate for once.

If you do what you always did, you get what you always got.
  • Options
    NewEnglandNotesNewEnglandNotes Posts: 260 ✭✭✭

As a kid in the early to mid 1980's going to the local show at the Haverhill Ma Howard Johnson's with my grandfather. Still have the coins and notes from those monthly shows almost 40 years later. He wasn't a collector himself, but always encouraged my collection. I still see one of the dealers from back then setting up at the local shows today.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file