Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lurkers Only - Giveaway! WINNERS IN

CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 1, 2022 6:45PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Time to come out of the shadows :) and give the community something in exchange, and we all await with great enthusiasm!

TO ENTER: Simply post your particular interests in this hobby and elaborate only if you choose.
TO QUALIFY: Your post must be your very first - Time/Date stamped so don't worry if you accumulate more during the process.
THE PRIZE: A stack of 16 recently culled mint-pack silver half dollars.
LAST CHANCE TO ENTER AND THE WINNER RANDOMLY DRAWN: 7PM Central 08-31-2022

I encourage all engagements past present and future :)

Happy Hunting!

Comments

• Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice gesture. Lurkers assemble!!

• CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spyglassdesign said:
    This is my first post and I like Morgan's and ase's and gold eagles... 😅

Can't blame a guy for trying?

Your late to the party...Or wait a minute I'm late :D

• AdamLAdamL Posts: 165 ✭✭✭
    edited August 6, 2022 9:55PM

I guess I have 29 too many. Darn :D

@AdamL said:

Hang in there Adam, my original idea was less than 50 posts before I decided to go balls to the wall. So, should no precise newbies come forward you would still be in the running.

@AdamL said:

By the way you are new enough so, what are your current interests and how did you find your way into this mess?

I guess I have 29 too many. Darn :D> @Coinscratch said:

@AdamL said:

By the way you are new enough so, what are your current interests and how did you find your way into this mess?

Hey, thanks! Well, I got back into the hobby in 2020 after about an 8 year hiatus. Prior to that I collected almost all raw coins, and made most of my purchases in person. Although my interests in numismatics have always varied wildly, I've done pretty well at staying focused on some goals. I started a raw album set of Walking Liberty Halves back around 2006 and have picked back up on that.

A big change though, has been buying more online and more certified slabbed coins. I started with a few MS65 and MS66 Walkers and then caught the registry set bug. Decided to collect coins by type as well. So my main pursuits are Walkers, both raw and slabbed (2 separate sets) as well as a slabbed U.S. type set. I've had to cut my coin budget a little bit recently, so I am having some cheaper fun filling Whitman and Dansco albums with coins for as close to silver value as possible: Franklins, SLQ's and Barber dimes and Quarters.

I've been active on other forums off and on over the years and heard "CU" mentioned from time to time, so recently I finally sought this place out. I can always use more coin discussions to read on nights like this when sleep eludes me. So I was glad to find this forum very active and with a wealth of knowledge.

I feel like I just rambled on, so I hopefully I didn't over-elaborate :)

• 1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

I win!
    @Coinscratch is the official music / noise administrator.
    And this its the first MTV music video
    The first post of it. Yes!!!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W8r-tXRLazs

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 12:02AM

@AdamL Welcome to the board and let’s rumble! 🥰

@Paradisefound said:
    @AdamL Welcome to the board and let’s rumble! 🥰

Thank you! :)

• ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

😘 Thank you @Coinscratch for a wonderful contest!

Although ….. I am a few years late to the party 😬 I think you are ON with the concept.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭✭

This thread will be very illuminating. :)

• Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,624 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am first to say.....Good morning! Drink coffee cause you can sleep when you're dead. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52

• MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭

Hmm I like half dollars but I don't actually know how many posts I have.

• MS66MS66 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 4:18AM

Turns out I have 33. Needed to post to see it.

I say break up the hoard!

[Edit: stupid autocorrect]

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 6:52AM

Nice idea and prize... B)

• jeffas1974jeffas1974 Posts: 293 ✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 1:57PM

I'll go ahead and post in the event you do open it up to 50 posts or less :)

I have a number of interests in US coins but I'm currently working on a date set of problem free slabbed large cents. I'm currently a third of the way through with the classic head cents being the toughest for me to win via auctions so far as I'm goose egged in that category for now lol.

Thanks for hosting the giveaway regardless of whether or not I'm ultimately entered in it!

Edit: post count 26

• WQuarterFreddieWQuarterFreddie Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch

Great idea and a very generous giveaway! 👍

Wish I was a newb!😂🤣

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was a lurker for almost 10 years before I signed up at the end of May this year. I guess I joined a few months too soon. :D

Philippians 4:4-7

It's all good people. The original prize to the original target but... I will add a secondary Prize for all members under 150 at the time of their post. Now, the question becomes, can I really time/date stamp?
    I was having a bottle of Pinot Noir last night so anything was possible, then. But now, it's today! And I'm afraid (of the poof) to edit inside the main post so...

STATE YOUR POST COUNT WHEN YOU POST

• Glen2022Glen2022 Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭

Post count 137 before this one.

Found this site end of May, 2022, joined at that time. Amazed at the amount of advise and information available from members including topics I never knew existed, such as Colorado silver. Enjoy the beautiful, and sometimes exhilarating photos (of proofs) that are shared on this site. Makes me very jealous that some of the coins don't reside in my safe.

I started with coin collecting when I was about 11 years old, mid 50's. In those days you could get many coins in mid grade, F-AU, except rarities like 09svdb, 14d Lincolns, 16D Mercuries, etc., in circulation. Able to mostly complete all circulating coins, except rarities, from circulation. Did buy a few coins from local coin shop or at local coin club.

Then things got in the way of collecting. High school, sports, girls, college, more sports and girls, Military service. marriage, grad school, kids, business, kids sports and their college, life in general.

Away from collecting for a LONG time. Did pick up some of the 100 year gold anniversary Merc, SLQ and WLH in 2016 and an occasional ebay purchase.

Current interest; Military medals. Also trying to accumulate complete $2 1/2 Indian set in AU and fill the holes in those collections started as a kid and perhaps upgrade some of those coins.

Only regrets:

1. That I did not buy higher graded coins as a kid (went for quantity - fill the holes rather than buying fewer higher graded coins.
    2. I find myself spending far too much time on this site to the detriment of other things that may need attention. (But this is not bad).
  • LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 7, 2022 10:14AM

.wrong thread. sorry

edited to add: since i already fudged up and posted to the wrong thread, may as well say: GENEROUS GIVEAWAY! :+1:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• UpGrayeddUpGrayedd Posts: 495 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch thanks for your generosity and the opportunity if I am eligible for the secondary prize. This should be my 103rd post.

I collect a lot of different coins/series because I enjoy the history. I have recently started to collect some world coins, and I have really enjoyed collecting old/rare slabs over the last several years because I enjoy their numismatic history.

Philippians 4:4-7

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,155 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacoin
    Welcome to the forum. Great choice, you got my vote.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain

I'm glad to see a couple of real bonafide lurkers come out of the woodwork :D
    Good contest idea.

• WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacoin said:
    Large cents

:):)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

@bud221 said:
    OK, someone finally got me out of my cave! I've been lurking here since about 2004 and finally became a member 5 years ago. Just checked and I have almost 3500 visits in those 5 years.

I learned so many things on this forum. Just happy to visit daily!

Wow, 18 years lurking is a long time! :) Congrats on finally coming out of your shell ;)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• spyglassdesignspyglassdesign Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinscratch said:
    It's all good people. The original prize to the original target but... I will add a secondary Prize for all members under 150 at the time of their post. Now, the question becomes, can I really time/date stamp?
    I was having a bottle of Pinot Noir last night so anything was possible, then. But now, it's today! And I'm afraid (of the poof) to edit inside the main post so...

STATE YOUR POST COUNT WHEN YOU POST

123 on my original post :smiley:

Welcome to the forum newbs...Now, drop down and give me fifty :D

• CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 8, 2022 6:51AM

You are very generous! And a great idea to get new or shy members actively involved in the forums. :)

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pacoin said:
    Large cents

Welcome aboard...
    Here's one of mine...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@Broom98 Thanks for posting! I love those Indians as well. No need for bushes the natives are friendly although a few may sound bombastic it's nothing to fret about.
    I suggest starting a new thread and showing off some of those IHCs. :)

• I only have a couple of photos linked to my Indians but I have a registry under lakelooper rank 71

@Broom98 said:
    I only have a couple of photos linked to my Indians but I have a registry under lakelooper rank 71

Cool I'll check it out later when I have time. Currently at work and I just come up for air once in a while (between sales calls) to see what's happening - Back to work now :D

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

To be a fair contest it should be for lurkers with 5 stars only. 4 stars or less? Ineligible.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

@mr1874 said:
    To be a fair contest it should be for lurkers with 5 stars only. 4 stars or less? Ineligible.

You only start out with one star right?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file