Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Another BRNA Show Report

Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 6, 2022 6:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I drove up to Dalton, GA for the BRNA show Saturday with @habaraca. We got on the road at 7am and made good time. No traffic through Chattanooga for the first time ever in my life.

We got to the show and there were already a bunch of folks packed up. I would describe the bourse floor as sparsely populated. Our first stop is always Phil’s friend George at Kentucky Coin Cabinet. He looked at a few coins that I had for sale and we struck a deal for the 1826 I had listed in BST. Success! Off to the bourse floor.

I am always amazed at the nice raw coins at these shows around me. There were 3 or 4 dealers that had several trays full of original, or nearly so, bust halves. But a slabbed busty immediately caught my eye. The dealer didn’t seem interested in type coins and offered it to me at a great price. It has some pretty sweet die clashing, as is common with the date.

1814 O-107 PCGS XF45

I wandered around and made small talk with several dealers I know and looked at bullion for some friends. These guys are really having trouble. I didn’t see anyone buying any.

1 PM we met Glenn Peterson and had a good long chat about his bust halves and stories regarding discovery and sale of die marriages, die states, etc.

We bid each other farewell and I went back to the bourse floor to look at a raw, toned bust half I saw earlier. After discussion about its toning with several people a lot smarter than me, we struck a deal 😍 When I say this coin is amazing in hand, it’s an understatement.

1823 ~XF45

All in all it was a great show, even though it’s attendance was low. Saw a bunch of great people and struck some good deals! Can’t go wrong.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

Comments

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and you got some very nice Half Dollars.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 - I always enjoy reading your show reports. Congrats on the new Bust halves.

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh, now that sounds like a great time Paul, and what a lovely pair of coins ... both seemingly perfect for your set ... Congratulations!

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting your report, and your NEWPS look great!

The FL dealers usually rave about this show. Sounds like the timing was a bit off, and/or too many bigger shows too close together?

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭✭✭

The raw coin does look like a hit for you! Nice!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting report, thanks. And those are really nice acquisitions.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Pnies20Pnies20 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Crusty said:
    @Pnies20 - I always enjoy reading your show reports. Congrats on the new Bust halves.

After our talks about SLD, I always look. There were 0 nice ones for sale! One dealer has a few nice CAC proof SLD but that was it.

BHNC #248 … 108 and counting.

• Options
    CrustyCrusty Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Pnies20 said:

@Crusty said:

After our talks about SLD, I always look. There were 0 nice ones for sale! One dealer has a few nice CAC proof SLD but that was it.

Yup… That’s a typical show in a nutshell.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sounds like you were nicely focused. Love the CBHs. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, thanks for posting it! And, two nice newps, congrats!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file