Precious metal premiums

13»

Comments

• Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,621 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 15, 2022 5:12PM

Fairy dust and magic. Lol.

Hope you learned a little something.

https://finra-markets.morningstar.com/BondCenter/BondDetail.jsp?ticker=C1039573&symbol=

Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

https://finra-markets.morningstar.com/BondCenter/BondDetail.jsp?ticker=C1039573&symbol=

Those must be all your investments in the background ;)

• Options

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

Obviously!!!! Gun powder and kerosene. Folk say one will be able to get lots of silver for it. And probably at discounts.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,381 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did learn something. I learned that you think T-Bills at 0% interest are the same as bonds. As you well know, T-Bills are cash equivalents, not bonds. The benchmark 10yr Treasuries are losing value daily as rates are being pushed up.

As usual, you are just blowing smoke and misleading the conversation. Get real.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    element159element159 Posts: 493 ✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

I did learn something. I learned that you think T-Bills at 0% interest are the same as bonds. As you well know, T-Bills are cash equivalents, not bonds. The benchmark 10yr Treasuries are losing value daily as rates are being pushed up.

Uh, no. T-Bills are absolutely bonds. They are short term bonds, ones that mature very quickly (i.e. around 30-90 days), but absolutely, completely, 100%, bonds.

Short term bonds will be less affected by interest rate changes, and the price drop of principal when interest rates increase will soon be overtaken by the increased interest received on bonds/T-bills bought to replace those which have matured. Thus, I am positively delighted that my money market funds (aka very short term bonds) are living with increased interest rates, now I finally get a return on that!

Long term bonds will be much more affected by interest rate increases, and much slower to have newly purchased bonds with higher interest replacing the old ones, so holders of 30-year non-inflation indexed Treasuries are surely much less happy about things. But that is why I have plenty of the first (money market) and hardly any of the second.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmski52 said:

T-bills are zero-coupon bonds that are usually sold at a discount and the difference between the purchase price and the par amount is your accrued interest. The only difference between them is their length until maturity.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,008 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 16, 2022 10:55AM

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

Obviously!!!! Gun powder and kerosene. Folk say one will be able to get lots of silver for it. And probably at discounts.

It wasn't all that long ago that you were touting how great everything was with the economy. What happened ?

Things you buy (and recommend that others buy) seem to have a way of going up in flames ?

• Options

@jmski52 said:

I did learn something. I learned that you think T-Bills at 0% interest are the same as bonds. As you well know, T-Bills are cash equivalents, not bonds.

Lol. What college did you say you went to?

They say you cant argue with ignorance. True words have never been said.

• Options

.> @dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

@dcarr said:

@cohodk said:

It wasn't all that long ago that you were touting how great everything was with the economy. What happened ?

Things you buy (and recommend that others buy) seem to have a way of going up in flames ?

Bonfires everyday in Cohodkville. Dont need no natural gas this winter. Just burn $100 bills.

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I bet there isn't a person in this forum, despite all the wonderful advice given, that net any new savings, has increased their personal wealth (adjusted for inflation) over the past year. PMs are down, stocks and bonds down, real property is trending down, volatility (e.g., uvxy) is a loser. Holding cash, while still a loser, is performing much better than anything else. Best investment was series I bond, lol, a break even at best proposition. Treading water in this environment is a win.

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@cohodk said:

Bonfires everyday in Cohodkville. Dont need no natural gas this winter. Just burn $100 bills.

and finally coho understands where we are heading...

• Options
    edited September 16, 2022 2:17PM

@taxmad said:

@cohodk said:

and finally coho understands where we are heading...

Black and white photos and bad haircuts?

• Options
    edited September 16, 2022 4:15PM

@RobM said:
    I bet there isn't a person in this forum, despite all the wonderful advice given, that net any new savings, has increased their personal wealth (adjusted for inflation) over the past year. PMs are down, stocks and bonds down, real property is trending down, volatility (e.g., uvxy) is a loser. Holding cash, while still a loser, is performing much better than anything else. Best investment was series I bond, lol, a break even at best proposition. Treading water in this environment is a win.

I'll take that bet. B)

volatility is a loser only to losers.

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

This inflation has made me and the misses even more frugal than before. We have already saved more money this year than any year since we've been together. Her salary is up big, I took a pay cut for better work life balance but still within 10% of my max. Property is up, our energy stocks are up big, and they are a large chunk of our portfolio. All that said as of today our net worth has increased exactly11.92% for the year. Don't know what the actual inflation numbers are but we are at least keeping pace, even with the overall market down, crypto winter, gutter in the toilet etc. Sleeping like a damn baby. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options

@blitzdude said:
    This inflation has made me and the misses even more frugal than before. We have already saved more money this year than any year since we've been together. Her salary is up big, I took a pay cut for better work life balance but still within 10% of my max. Property is up, our energy stocks are up big, and they are a large chunk of our portfolio. All that said as of today our net worth has increased exactly11.92% for the year. Don't know what the actual inflation numbers are but we are at least keeping pace, even with the overall market down, crypto winter, gutter in the toilet etc. Sleeping like a damn baby. RGDS!

probably a good time to wake up

• Options

@derryb said:

@blitzdude said:

probably a good time to wake up

I'm wide awake brother. Maybe it's time you exit the bunker and lay off the Bulgarian Kool-aide for a minute. Get some sun, breathe the fresh air and take a look around. It's a beautiful world out there. You can thank me later. RGDS!

• Options
    RobMRobM Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

@blitzdude,
    Good job! You have done better than most. Since CPI is up 8.3% the past 12 months, your wealth may have barely increased due mainly due mainly to your diligent saving (real property being somewhat illiquid and likely to fall at current interest rates could of course drag down net worth going forward).

I don't have an estimate for myself, but have also seen an increase in nominal net worth. Very modest stock exposure, a few winning short trades, savings; mostly parked in cash/low yield instruments for now. Looking,for S&P500 sub 3K.

@derryb,
    Of course, you are buying low and selling high.:)

• Options
    edited September 19, 2022 9:48AM

T-Bills are absolutely bonds. They are short term bonds, ones that mature very quickly (i.e. around 30-90 days), but absolutely, completely, 100%, bonds.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The point I was making is that coho's truck full of bonds is a loser, and it ain't getting better anytime soon. The fact that T-Bills are short term makes them less susceptible to interest rate fluctuations puts them into the cash-equivalent category. Regardless, coho isn't making money on bonds right now, no matter which bonds you are talking about. Blowing smoke, as usual.

It looks like OPA's cash position is the best position at this time.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    T-Bills are absolutely bonds. They are short term bonds, ones that mature very quickly (i.e. around 30-90 days), but absolutely, completely, 100%, bonds.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. The point I was making is that coho's truck full of bonds is a loser, and it ain't getting better anytime soon. The fact that T-Bills are short term makes them less susceptible to interest rate fluctuations puts them into the cash-equivalent category. Regardless, coho isn't making money on bonds right now, no matter which bonds you are talking about. Blowing smoke, as usual.

It looks like OPA's cash position is the best position at this time.

What do you think OPAs cash position is invested in? Lol

That truck full of bonds contains more dollars than started with....so if that's a loser.....haha.

Your point is dull.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

6 month t-bills are my favorite short term holdings. Although they do not match the current inflation rate, they are still a net gainer, unlike most other investments. ( Let treasury direct be your no fee broker) B)

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited September 21, 2022 8:13AM

Do you find it strange that the new US Mint director has no mint or numismatic experience and spent her entire career in Human Resources outside of the mint? At the same time the mint has lowered it's monthly ASE output to 850,00 coins per month. The reduction is not a supply issue. The US Mint buys 1000 oz silver bars directly from the COMEX and then ships them to Sunshine Mint or Perth Mint to be converted to silver blanks. The blanks are then sent to the US Mint where they are fabricated into silver coins.

Why an HR professional and why a winding down of output? For one thing an HR professional comes in very handy when dealing with reductions in a work force. Is the Mint preparing for a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) that will eliminate the need for coins and the need for a facility to strike them.

Then there's the current law that requires all American Eagles to be struck in enough quantity to meet demand. How will that affect any plans to eliminate coins?

• Options
    edited September 21, 2022 8:15AM

@hvellente said:

@derryb said:

Why an HR professional and why a winding down of output? For one thing an HR professional comes in very handy when dealing with reductions in a work force. Is the Mint preparing for a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) that will eliminate the need for coins and the need for a facility to strike them.

Then there's the current law that requires all American Eagles to be struck in enough quantity to meet demand. How will that affect any plans to eliminate coins?

Absolute bollocks - if you ever wondered whether @derryb is a Russian bot now you know!

Hola, comrade! You'll note that I simply asked questions. Questions normally invite discussion about the topic. You bring it to a new level with name calling. Very mature.. LOL, comrade.

There is no winding down of production. Reduction yes, winding down no. We all want more Eagles, heck, we all want unicorns and lollipops, but you get what you get. If you think the Secretary isn't fulfilling her duties, call your Reps and Senators. Till then, you're not really worried.

Congress is currently investigating!l Congress says there is a winding down: Are you claiming to be smarter?

"Rep. Alex Mooney (R-WV) is calling out U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and U.S. Mint Director Ventris Gibson for the "long-running production slowdown" in the Silver American Eagle bullion coin program that has caused "shortages and dramatically higher market prices for this iconic silver coin as compared to its peers worldwide."

Then @derryb poses a statement as a question. This psychological tactic has been used by pollsters since at least the early '60s. The goal is to confuse the reader, and to convince the reader that the question is based in fact. For example, a pollster might ask: "Have you heard that Richard Nixon hates cheese?" Well, no, we haven't heard that, but now a large fraction of the population thinks that Richard Nixon hates cheese. So @derryb queries:

"Is the Mint preparing for a Central Bank Digital Currency (CBDC) that will eliminate the need for coins and the need for a facility to strike them."

Goal of the post was to ask the simple question that was asked. If that confuses you, then you are not very smart.

Which is utterly preposterous, and not based in fact at all. Yes, the concept has been suggested, but so has the idea of arming rats for offensive combat missions in war. (FYI: Sweden vastly reduced its coin and banknote production a few years ago and the program did not fare well.)

Get your head out of the sand. Fact is CBDCs are becoming a reality. All I'm asking is "Is the mint giving us a premature heads-up?"

As for the "current law" about sufficient quantity of Eagles... well, the law has been around since 1982 and there is no effort to change or repeal the sections regulating the sufficiency of quantity or quality.

Yet the mint is reducing its production of ASEs and as ASE premiums tell us, they are not meeting public demand. In 2015 the mint struck 47 million ASEs. Since then mintages have gradually been reduced. This year it is averaging 850,000 a month, one fourth of the 2015 production run. Why?

• Options

@derryb said:
    The US Mint buys 1000 oz silver bars directly from the COMEX and then ships them to Sunshine Mint or Perth Mint to be converted to silver blanks. The blanks are then sent to the US Mint where they are fabricated into silver coins.

Actually Sunshine provides the gutter and is required to deliver the blank planchets to the mint at spot price. There is no physical "shortage". Sunshine is far better off minting their own products that they can sell at a premium above spot which is exactly what they are focused on. The mints requirements are outdated. It's not a gutter shortage conspiracy and it's certainly not rocket science. RGDS!

• Options
    edited September 22, 2022 5:24AM

cohodk says:
    What do you think OPAs cash position is invested in? Lol

That truck full of bonds contains more dollars than started with....so if that's a loser.....haha.

Your point is dull.

OPA says:
    6 month t-bills are my favorite short term holdings. Although they do not match the current inflation rate, they are still a net gainer, unlike most other investments. ( Let treasury direct be your no fee broker) B)

So........................the truck full of "bonds" (notes, cash equivalents, whatever) has more of the devalued dollars - which at 8% inflation (closer to 18% when calculated as in 1980) - the purchasing power of those dollars is losing value quite a bit faster than the dollars are increasing.

Like I said - blowing smoke, as usual.

The interesting point that nobody's mentioned yet is the yield curve, which (as of yesterday stood at 4% for a 1-year note and declines from there as the terms increase. So much for the time value of money. The Fed and Congress have mutually decided to destroy the currency, and they're doing a bang-up job of it.

As a leading indicator for recessions, the inverted yield curve is saying that nobody in their right mind is buying bonds right now. That was my "dull" point. What was your point? Conflating short term Treasury Notes with "bonds" is just blowing smoke and not much more.

As far as OPA's cash position goes, he has picked the best short-term option available, and we'll have to wait & see how that turns out. Hopefully, he's nimble enough to dodge a currency devaluation if the bond market self-destructs.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

jmski52 As you well know, a short term position is the place to be in rising interest rates. The time to jump into long or longer term positions, is after the Fed finishes off with their rate hikes. 2023 is my guess, and I'll keep an open mind or be in a cash position, to take advantage if & when it occurs. PM's as a rule, are not my choice for long term investment strategies, but can be profitable in the short term scenarios, if you don't mind a profit margin of 10-12.5%, which btw, I don't.

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    edited September 23, 2022 5:04AM

@OPA said:
    jmski52 As you well know, a short term position is the place to be in rising interest rates.

But he doesn't know. That's his point.

Obviously my "smoke" has blinded him.

His lack of understanding and contradictory statements is duly noted. I just wish he would listen for once.

Jmski.....is a CD a bond?

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 5:48AM

Not really. They might be invested in various term Treasuries but I don't consider them to be a bond. Frankly, I stay as far away from the banking system as possible, so I don't really care about CDs.

To be clear, if you look up the definition of a bond on the US Treasury website, a Treasury Bond is issued for a 30 year term, and that is what I am referring to. You are calling TBills bonds, which they are not. Look it up yourself.

I have been saying repeatedly that I wouldn't touch a bond now, even with cohodk's money. Well, maybe with his money, but not mine. ;)

jmski52 As you well know, a short term position is the place to be in rising interest rates.

Better than being in bonds, true. Better than being in stocks right now, true. For the last few weeks, even better than being in gold if you are actively managing your portfolio. I am waiting to see if we get a repeat of 2008 on a larger scale. Gold recovered much more quickly and on a sharper trajectory than stocks did.

Timing is always a problem when politicians & bankers are involved. I am cashing out of real estate and going to cash with my "excess" funds, but I'm leaving my physical metals right where they are.

I wouldn't touch bonds with a 10 foot pole right now, regardless of how cohodk wants to redefine what a bond is.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 s> @jmski52 said:

Not really...... cohodk wants to redefine what a bond is.

Lol

• Options
    edited September 23, 2022 7:21AM

This is why it's so tedious to deal with these type of comments. He adds zero to the discussion but takes time to snipe away without making any contribution.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

@jmski52 said:
    This is why it's so tedious to deal with these type of comments. He adds zero to the discussion but takes time to snipe away without making any contribution.

That's exactly what I say. I give you facts yet you still disagree. Tedious isnt the word I would use.

But.....I see some ASE offered at $30 each on this forum. $11 premium. How does that compare to other venues? Is this more or less representative of the market?

• Options

@cohodk said:

But.....I see some ASE offered at $30 each on this forum. $11 premium. How does that compare to other venues? Is this more or less representative of the market?

If so then market price of an ASE is carrying a 60% premium. Glad to see low premiums in the real world. LOL

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 7:19AM

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

If so then market price of an ASE is carrying a 60% premium. Glad to see low premiums in the real world. LOL

I have ASEs available at $50 each. That's a 150% premium. Dang!!!

So 18 months ago the premium was 40% and one would have to cough up $42 to buy an ASE and now the premium is supposedly 60% but one only needs to cough up $30.

Tell me why premium matters? Cuz it looks like losing to the real world.

Premium up 50% and dollars lost 30%. How much we gonna lose if premium increases 100%?

I think you should be rooting for no premium or discount to premium for that would mean silver price is way up.

• Options

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

I have ASEs available at $50 each. That's a 150% premium. Dang!!!

buyers are paying the 60% premium, they are not paying your 150%. Your dream world is expanding.

So 18 months ago the premium was 40% and one would have to cough up $42 to buy an ASE and now the premium is supposedly 60% but one only needs to cough up $30.

They matter because they are part of the price paid formula.

Premium up 50% and dollars lost 30%. How much we gonna lose if premium increases 100%?

I think you should be rooting for no premium or discount to premium for that would mean silver price is way up.

Does it really matter, except to your ego?

• Options

Modern gold coins are showing a nice jump in premiums, just as predicted. B)

• Options

@cohodk said:

Some call it Gutter Math. RGDS!

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 1:25PM

@blitzdude said:

@cohodk said:

Some call it Gutter Math. RGDS!

And we wonder why society is as it is.

Derryb, the real world doesnt care about premiums. Especially when 1000 oz can be had for a relatively small amount of cash. Premium only matters to the reseller selling 1 oz at a time. The real world cares about the ability to convert their holdings in more dollars, and funny enough, as the premium rises theyve been getting fewer dollars.

Truly is Bizzaro World.

We should be rooting for no premium as that would mean silver is breaking out to new highs.

And BTW-- why the constant personal jabs?

• Options
    edited September 24, 2022 6:45PM

@cohodk said:

Derryb, the real world doesnt care about premiums.

Yet the majority of stackers here say premiums are too high for them to buy the quality of silver they want in their stack. LOL

And BTW-- why the constant personal jabs?

Poking you brings out the best of you.

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Yet the majority of stackers here say premiums are too high for them to buy the quality of silver they want in their stack. LOL

On one hand you say premium is elevated due to high demand and on the other you say stackers arent buying.

Yeah, I guess that is funny.

• Options
    edited September 26, 2022 6:12PM

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

On one hand you say premium is elevated due to high demand and on the other you say stackers arent buying.

No, You funny. Your typical misdirection on what someone else actually says is right on que.

What I said was, "the majority of stackers HERE say premiums are too high for them to buy the quality of silver they want in their stack."

You tell me smarty pants: Why are premiums high? You obviously have no clue.

• Options

@derryb said:
    Modern gold coins are showing a nice jump in premiums, just as predicted. B)

Gold down $400, premiums up $50. #Winning. > @cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

Perhaps some would say: "Spin doctor"? RGDS!

• Options

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

@derryb said:

@cohodk said:

No, You funny. Your typical misdirection on what someone else actually says is right on que.

What I said was, "the majority of stackers HERE say premiums are too high for them to buy the quality of silver they want in their stack."

You tell me smarty pants: Why are premiums high? You obviously have no clue.

So stackers here are different from stackers there. Got it. Lol

I know why premiums are high. I just disagree with your reasons.

BTW---i rely on facts, not clues.