Home Precious Metals
Options

Unpopular & Overpriced - Mint Offers 'Free' Gold

taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

I guess we know how the Mint is going to get rid of products people aren't buying. Overpriced ugly coins are not made pretty with a bit of free gold...

https://catalog.usmint.gov/american-liberty-gold-coin-2017-2018-24-karat-bonus-offer-22ALB1.html?cm_mmc=ExactTarget--Campaign--20220801AmericanLiberty1718GoldCoin24KaratBonusOfferEmail1_Purchasers-_-24KaratBonusOfferCTA&utm_source=Campaign&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_content=24KaratBonusOfferCTA&utm_campaign=20220801AmericanLiberty1718GoldCoin24KaratBonusOfferEmail1_Purchasers&cm_mmca1=Marketing&cm_mmca2=Purchasers&cm_mmca3=22ALB1&cc=ALHR

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a beautiful gold coin. I really like the design and the strike/detail is superb. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok. Buy one for $800 over spot and get a $200 gold coin , too. You'll only be shy 3/10s of an ounce of gold for the price you pay. How collectible is upside down ? Maybe in ten years you will break even. Maybe your heirs will get it for free. But I'd rather have a bullion 1 oz eagle and 4 $5 tenth ounce gold eagles coins made by the same entity in 22k gold, in the market.

Don't get me wrong. I like 24k Liberty , life, and the pursuit of happiness. It's our right.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

It says, "in appreciation of our loyal customers". The US Mint has no concept of appreciating their loyal customers. What a farce.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    SoldiSoldi Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bought ten of them scored a free ounce. I'll get them all graded probably do a walk thru at the next major. They're going to look nice in hand.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,210 ✭✭✭✭✭

At $2710 for the one oz coin, the tenth ounce coin is far from "free."

one and one tenth oz of US Mint gold at $2710 is a terrible price.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

No need to rush to buy one....over 1700 still available. BTW...the last PCGS PR70 coin sold on ebay, sold for less than $2,800
    Not a money maker....save your $$$$.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=2017+W+1+oz+$100+American+Liberty+High+Relief+Proof+Gold+Coin&_sacat=0&rt=nc&LH_Sold=1&LH_Complete=1

• Options

@derryb said:
    At $2710 for the one oz coin, the tenth ounce coin is far from "free."

one and one tenth oz of US Mint gold at $2710 is a terrible price.

That's why i ordered ten

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,380 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's why i ordered ten

The only justification I can fathom for buying ten of these is that the spot market will bail you out, which it might.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

I think it is a great looking coin. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

Agree that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and may be nice looking coins.

But price is reality.

----- kj
  • Options

The price of anything is based on what someone will give you. A scribble on a piece of paper by a renowned artist can cost more than a house.

• Options

Actually i liked the coin too bad about the price

• Options

I like the design too. Too much for me though.

• Options

The special offering did not achieve a sell out before time expired. There are still over 500 of the 1 oz available.