Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The recent Mega million Lottery.

joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited July 30, 2022 3:23PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hi guys, you may have heard someone won in my home state, Illinois.
Well, NO, it's not me! Impossible, I didn't buy a single ticket, I don't gamble. Lol
Imagine what kind of coin collection that person can have?

What kind of coins would you purchase?

I would hunt down all the top PCGS grades of the Morgan Dollars, esp the CC's!
:D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Comments

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

I had two of the five numbers, no powerball. Not sure what it is worth yet.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options

@oih82w8 said:

Wow!
    :o

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

Another ticket or maybe $5 or $10 bucks! I usually buy a ticket or 2 when it gets this high...but never did it this time.

• Options
    djmdjm Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins buying these tickets is not gambling. It's a sure thing you are going to lose. Thin of it as a donation to your state and local government.

• Options

I would monopolize ALL the "W"
    Quarters!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 3:54PM

@djm said:
    @joeykoins buying these tickets is not gambling. It's a sure thing you are going to lose. Thin of it as a donation to your state and local government.

Tell that to the billion dollar winner along with the 20 $1 million and 6 $2 million winners.

One ticket sold in the Land of Lincoln matched all six balls in Friday night's drawing to win the $1.337 billion jackpot, according to the Mega Millions website.
    In addition to the jackpot, there are more than two dozen new millionaires. A remarkable 26 tickets matched the five white balls to win million-dollar prizes.

Twenty tickets winning $1 million prizes were sold in: California, Florida (2), Georgia (2), Illinois, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota (2), North Carolina (2), New Hampshire, New York, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Texas (2) and Wisconsin.

Six tickets had the Megaplier to win $2 million: Arizona, Florida (3), Iowa and Pennslyvania.

• Options

Incredible!
    Is that the IHC with ridges on its rim?
    :*

• Options

@joeykoins said:

Incredible!
    Is that the IHC with ridges on its rim?
    :*

It has words on the rim!

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 4:55PM

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought 5 tickets, not even one single number hit. But if I won a top notch $50 Octagonal Pan PAC. Always wanted one, love the shape and weight.

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

Other than make a nice 50s/60s/early 70s Topps baseball sets, try to get near all the NES/SNES games and perhaps my most recent hobby, coin collecting...I wouldn't even know what to do with most of it.

Though don't get too excited...the jackpot was up this high for a reason.  Even the second prize has about one in 12.6 million odds.  I think I read somewhere you're more likely to get killed on the way to or from buying the ticket than winning the jackpot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBtXieMeVnU&t=217s

PS: Hey, the first number is our anniversary, 17!  And the second number is my birth month, 3!   Wow I guess the Simpsons really can predict stuff!

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would have to re-evaluate the entirety of my collecting. I’d have to learn about entirely new sections of collecting. I can assure you I’d no longer be saving up for months to spend a couple hundred bucks on a Morgan or Walker. Might keep buying Morgans and Walkers, it they’d be a different kind of special.
    I’d definitely have a nice Gobrecht dollar

• Options
    ElmerFusterpuckElmerFusterpuck Posts: 4,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 30, 2022 9:10PM

Quick, go find a mirror and look very hard at that person there! They didn't win. Seriously though, I'd like to say I'd stay grounded, though maybe I'd chase a few more crazy toned Morgans.

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:

nuttin; you need to get at least 3 numbers sans megaball which pays $10.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 4:12AM

@GRANDAM said:

What kind of coins would you purchase?

All of them,,,,,,,,

Imagine combining the Bass, Hansen and O'Dowd collections?

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 4:29AM

@ricko said:
    If I were to win such a prize, coins would be the furthest thing from my mind.... at least for a couple of years. Such a windfall brings a true 'life tornado' to the winner. Managing the money is only part of the picture. Such winnings have destroyed a few people - the history of some winners was published in the days leading up to this drawing. Cheers, RickO

True, spending $100s of millions on coins right off the bat could have unforeseen consequences.

That being said, spending in moderation is still good as for some coins, the opportunity to buy is as rare as seeing the coin itself, or even more rare.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins .... Moderation indeed. And then managing one's life and the untold hundreds of relatives one did not even know existed :D, the charities - real or contrived, solicitations for causes one did not know existed, etc., etc., etc.. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 4:36AM

@ricko said:
    @Zoins .... Moderation indeed. And then managing one's life and the untold hundreds of relatives one did not even know existed :D, the charities - real or contrived, solicitations for causes one did not know existed, etc., etc., etc.. Cheers, RickO

I've read a few of the stories. My thinking is that if you spend as you normally would on "things", it's hard to go wrong. After all, there's only so many cars a typical person will buy. It seems that when people get into "investments" is when things could go really off track.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zoins... I agree... However, it is the major outside influences that never existed before that become the 'life tornado'. One's life just does not continue as before the major winning. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko said:
    @Zoins... I agree... However, it is the major outside influences that never existed before that become the 'life tornado'. One's life just does not continue as before the major winning. Cheers, RickO

A good approach to mange the tornado may be to not tell anyone for a few years. It may be hard but I'm sure some winners do it, the ones not in the news.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 4:56AM

Are you kidding?

Coins would be at the bottom of the list.

Mansion / estate in exotic place, high end sports car, yacht, girls…..

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

While talking about this with another member on the day of the drawing I had not a single numismatic future acquisition in mind had I won.

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options

@Cougar1978 said:
    Are you kidding?

Coins would be at the bottom of the list.

Mansion / estate in exotic place, high end sports car, yacht, girls…..

@Broadstruck said:
    While talking about this with another member on the day of the drawing I had not a single numismatic future acquisition in mind had I won.

This is probably why coins will never sell for as much as other items....

• Options
    PedzolaPedzola Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was a giant scrooge-mcduckian vault full of gold coins.

I'd probably be one of those stories on the news before the next big drawing.

lol

• Options

@ricko said:

Plus lawsuits from people that you supposedly wrong in life, esp. if you ran a business like the guy in Ohio. You might be smarter to have someone broker you a private sale for the ticket for say $50 million. You'd have less money, but maybe a lot fewer headaches. Just a thought.

• Options

@Pedzola said:
    My first thought was a giant scrooge-mcduckian vault full of gold coins.

I'd probably be one of those stories on the news before the next big drawing.

lol

I'd buy a few monster boxes of one ounce gold eagles or buffalo/es.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 11:01AM

I heard some business guy brought $55,000 tickets. Heard he as not big winner, fwiw here and a hear say

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,694 ✭✭✭✭✭

Honestly I’d rather win a smaller one in the 10-20M range. A lot less headaches.

• Options
    edited July 31, 2022 11:05AM

Get this guys!

Just got this news. I just got word my nephew used to go to high school with the person that WON! Yep.
    WOW!
    CRAZY

• Options
    DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,460 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 31, 2022 1:30PM

I would fill all the remaining holes in my current collections with similar-grade coins. Then I would expand into the series (like large cents, Barbers, SLQ's, etc) which I never managed to get into, and do likewise. THEN, I would get 1 beautiful example of each representative coin in a high grade to fill a type set album. Then I'd be one with the Universe and at peace................. :)

• Options
    Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

@joeykoins said:

Get this guys!

Just got this news. I just got word my nephew used to go to high school with the person that WON! Yep.
    WOW!
    CRAZY

Time to look him up and tell him how much you’ve missed him since high school... new best friend!

If I won I’d finally get that 34S peace dollar....

• Options
    acsbacsb Posts: 144 ✭✭✭

Well, if you believe some folks (Jeremy might get this...) 17 is the most random number...

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wonder how much $ I need to assemble a complete set of Seated silver + Liberty Head gold.

The jackpot would certainly be way more than enough.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

A billion? I guess I'm wealthy by most worldly standards, but a billion is a completely different animal. The interest alone would be six figures per day. There isn't any part of your life it wouldn't touch, and in reality, you'd be incredibly burdened by the weight of it. You'd become an instant target for fraudsters, invite endless legal challenges, have loads of "new friends", and those members of your family not trying to get their hands on it would be under constant threat. I would put the odds of being less happy vs more happy at 100:1. Life would be exciting and entertaining, perhaps, but satisfying..... I doubt it.

As far as coins, there's a good chance I'd concern myself with new and different hobbies. If there's no challenge to something, it sort of stops being fun.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

all of them

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    edited August 1, 2022 7:31AM

@BryceM said:
    A billion? I guess I'm wealthy by most worldly standards, but a billion is a completely different animal. The interest alone would be six figures per day. There isn't any part of your life it wouldn't touch, and in reality, you'd be incredibly burdened by the weight of it. You'd become an instant target for fraudsters, invite endless legal challenges, have loads of "new friends", and those members of your family not trying to get their hands on it would be under constant threat. I would put the odds of being less happy vs more happy at 100:1. Life would be exciting and entertaining, perhaps, but satisfying..... I doubt it.

As far as coins, there's a good chance I'd concern myself with new and different hobbies. If there's no challenge to something, it sort of stops being fun.

If you kept it strictly as cash what is the highest SAFE [essentially no risk] return that one could expect to get? A half percent? 2%? More? I assume the lottery folks pick the safest and best place to purchase their annuity from. I haven't heard of any places where the lottery defaulted on a payment and the state assumed the responsibility.

A $400 million sum invested at 1% would generate $4 million per year or about $10,960 per day and more if the interest was compound and paid daily.

It's fun to dream, but it might be more trouble than it's worth esp. considering safety of your family.

• Options

@derryb said:
    all of them

Your heirs might have fun dumping them into a Coinstar machine! :)

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,735 ✭✭✭✭✭

Why on earth would you invest it at 1%? Sounds like financial malpractice to me. Not keeping up with inflation doesn't sound very safe.

• Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 1, 2022 9:52AM

Take the annual average of all the money you spent $5-$10-$20 at a time on Lottery tickets over the last 10-20 years and compute what it would have done for you had you consistently put that same amount into a good growth and income mutual fund. You might be very surprised. Not that it isn't fun to throw a couple bucks at a big jackpot.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options

It was just an example. Also to show that the interest on the lump sum payout would not be 6 figures per day even at a 5% guaranteed return. Even a 1% return would generate more income than most people will ever need. Fortunately, now is a very opportune time to get into the market.

• Options

I might however pick up some MS 1893-S and 89-CC Morgans.

• Options
    edited August 1, 2022 11:16AM

How 'bout a whole BU roll of 1955 Double Die Cents?

Let's see, approx $2500 for each one?

$2500 × 50!!!

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,922 ✭✭✭✭

@Che_Grapes said:

@joeykoins said:

Get this guys!

WOW!
    CRAZY

Time to look him up and tell him how much you’ve missed him since high school... new best friend!

If I won I’d finally get that 34S peace dollar....

Oh plez, that is the oldest trick/cliche in the book! No lottery winner would be stupid enough to fall for that "I'm just now your awesome friend!" bit...right?

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭

...next coin I'm looking at for my 7070 type set... 1859 IHC in ~AU50-ish.

Only, I'd likely not get outbid... lol...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file