Home U.S. Coin Forum

For Grading: 1865 Two-Cent

CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

What grade do you think this two-cent piece is?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 12,187 ✭✭✭✭✭

I dont think it would receive a straight grade with scratches on the lower portion of the numeral 2.

VG-08 Details.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@oih82w8 said:
    I dont think it would receive a straight grade with scratches on the lower portion of the numeral 2.

VG-08 Details.

They don't look that bad in person--which is why I included the second picture.

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

Lighting angle can reveal and/or hide details, this is why it is best viewed in hand and not judged by images. The scratches appear to be present in the second image and not appear in the third.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore, Nickpatton, Namvet69,...
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a VG10 to me.... Cheers, RickO

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like VG8 Details (scratches and perhaps cleaned)

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,921 ✭✭✭✭✭

VG details? You are kidding, right? You can barely read any part of the motto, "In God we trust." The obverse is somewhere in the AG-3 to Good-4 category. The the reverse might approach VG, but given that obverse, does it matter? Add to that cleaning, and you have a details grade.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good Details cleaned

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,160 ✭✭✭✭✭

@BillJones said:
    VG details? You are kidding, right? You can barely read any part of the motto, "In God we trust." The obverse is somewhere in the AG-3 to Good-4 category. The the reverse might approach VG, but given that obverse, does it matter? Add to that cleaning, and you have a details grade.

I can make out some of "God" and "Trust" but you're right... I'm looking at the ANA Grading Standards book and leaning more towards G4 details. ..and it doesn't really matter at this grade. The price spread between G4 and VG is ~$5??

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Submit it let PCGS make the call.

• ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,102 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4 is my take if it would straight grade.

K

ANA LM
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

G4 details, probably cleaned.

All glory is fleeting.
    edited July 25, 2022 5:27PM

@BillJones said:

"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."

George S. Patton

...and I won't quit my day job.

• Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 8,158 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 25, 2022 2:55PM

AG3. Too worn.

Coins & Currency

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file