Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

🌺 GTG IHC CONTEST 🐋 Winner is back from vacation!

Comments

• Options
    calgolddivercalgolddiver Posts: 1,406 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU58 - thx for opportunity !!

Top 25 Type Set 1792 to present

Top 10 Cal Fractional Type Set

successful BST with Ankurj, BigAl, Bullsitter, CommemKing, DCW(7), Elmerfusterpuck, Joelewis, Mach1ne, Minuteman810430, Modcrewman, Nankraut, Nederveit2, Philographer(5), Realgator, Silverpop, SurfinxHI, TomB and Yorkshireman(3)

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    where is the L?

@ChrisH821 said:

@291fifth said:
    AU55 details, cleaned. The color is off for an Indian cent with the "L". I suspect that is why the date has been hidden ... most will think it is copper-nickel when it is actually bronze.

Indeed, did not notice the L.

There isn't an L, just something that resembles it, in the wrong place.

Okay:

Just for fun, I'm going 64 And this is one you got before you decided to go for true quality.

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 63 ish. :)

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options

MS 63

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

@Paradisefound said:
    where is the L?

@ChrisH821 said:

@291fifth said:
    AU55 details, cleaned. The color is off for an Indian cent with the "L". I suspect that is why the date has been hidden ... most will think it is copper-nickel when it is actually bronze.

Indeed, did not notice the L.

There isn't an L, just something that resembles it, in the wrong place.

Okay:

Just for fun, I'm going 64 And this is one you got before you decided to go for true quality.

Interesting. I was backwards anyway...
    Ignore the RB on my guess :D

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,612 ✭✭✭✭✭

Clean, lustrous fields, but maybe a little lackluster overall? Strike weakness in the feathers. Hard to make out in these pictures.

I'm going to guess MS63 ... but it's rally a WAG.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tom

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

🌈 Thank you FRIEND 🐟🐋🐡🐬🐠

@D808LF said:
    58, grading for a friend. :)

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's a 65.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    JeffnluJeffnlu Posts: 283 ✭✭✭✭

Another great contest by Paradisefound. Educational, entertaining, and engaging.
    My guess is ms64.

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,304 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice enough to reach MS64

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭

AU58. Nice coin hon🌺🙋‍♀️

• Options
    justindanjustindan Posts: 699 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au 53

• Options

MUST BE raining in most part of the Mainland !?!?! 🤔

374 members + 274 OG’s (Outside Guests)

HOT Spot for anything Bling 2

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

right around 90F for me.

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,814 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hot and sunny here.

• Options
    mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 5,980 ✭✭✭✭✭

Temperatures in the 90's and high humidity. Friday and Saturday weather here will be "irritating" according to the TV weather lady. Sunday will be "sticky." Weather like this is one big reason I decided to leave south Louisiana for Colorado in the 1970's.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options

If the GTG coin is a copper-nickel issue 1860-1864 it would be a nice companion for the CN cent I bought a few days ago at my favorite B&M shop.

1862 in MS 62?

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Paradisefound said:
    MUST BE raining in most part of the Mainland !?!?! 🤔

374 members + 274 OG’s (Outside Guests)

HOT Spot for anything Bling 2

We need some rain badly here in the midwest, temps in the high 90's-low 100's the last few weeks, lots of sun, not much clouds or rain.
    You know its hot and dry when you raise puffs of dust just walking on your lawn ;)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS-65

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭✭✭

Au58
    Looks like a CN cent

Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

So generous are you :) and it's very helpful that some of the pros have already chimed. I have a number in mind but will resubmit for reconsideration and get back later after the grapes...

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say AU58+, since no one has claimed that grade!

Obviously hard w/o seeing the coin in hand .........

Thanks for posting - love GTG's!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

104 today 🥵

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Keep brush fire 🔥 off!!!!!!

@crazyhounddog said:
    104 today 🥵

• Options
    CoinscratchCoinscratch Posts: 7,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

She's one tough cookie - I'll wager a 61 with a wag.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will guess MS63.

Thanks for the opportunity.

You are kind and generous. If I should win, please sent it to a young numismatist.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    heavymetalheavymetal Posts: 570 ✭✭✭✭

AU-58. Nice coin.

• Options

If I should win, please sent it to a young numismatist.

That young numismatist would be me. :#

• Options
    OnastoneOnastone Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

93 here...I couldn't take 104.

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice IHC! Ill guess MS63, (just for fun-BN)

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,234 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

65+ Too clean for 64 or lower. Nice IHC.

OINK

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful... and I like her at MS64BR with a green bean.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭✭✭

Mr_Spud

• Options
    ColoradoCoinGuyColoradoCoinGuy Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

Nice clean coin. Can't tell from photos if there is a slight bit of wear. Feathers are weakly struck. Has to be 1886 T2 or later date, but not an S mint. I will go with a guess of AU58+ and assume it is any date but the 1886 T2.

Member of LSCC, EAC, Fly-In Club, BCCS
    Life member of ANA
  • Options
    fastfreddiefastfreddie Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

61+

It is not that life is short, but that you are dead for so very long.
  • Options
    Bigbuck1975Bigbuck1975 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS 64 with a weak strike

• Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,379 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65

GrandAm :)
  • Options
    BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭

62, thanks for the contest.

• Options
    gtstanggtstang Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll take a wild guess at ms63.

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

I'll guess 64+.

• Options
    waisaacswaisaacs Posts: 88 ✭✭

Maybe it's more likely from a weak strike, but I'll say that the lack of detail on the upper feathers is a sign of the slightest circulation wear, so will go with 58+.

• Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

There have been a couple of hints given so far. The OP implied in the initial post and repeated it a couple of times that this is a copper-nickel cent as a color is not included in the grade. It was also stated that the grade is less than MS66.

We can also reconfirm that the date range must be 1860-1864 as there is a shield and there is no L. I might also eliminate 1861 and 1864 as these are the higher value years in the grade range, but then the OP may be more generous than I!

The image resolution is not high enough to accurately determine weak strike from very light wear. I am assuming that the OP would only be dealing with MS examples and go from there.

The strike is too weak for the coin to make MS65. I am torn between MS64 and MS63. There is not much difference in value between these grades for these years, but the step up to 65 is quite a bit. Wish we could have had a TrueView Max image if there was one, with the number hidden. If I knew it had a PhotoSeal on it, I would go MS63. Since I almost never win contests, I will go with MS64 and put a hex on all you other folks that picked that one!

• Options

@hbarbee 🤔 I don’t recall hinting the composition part 😬

• Options

Overall good observation @hbarbee ☺️

• Options
    hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 169 ✭✭✭

Thanks @Paradisefound.

The hint (I assume) was when you said the color designation was not required because that composition does not get one assigned when graded.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file