Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What the Hell is this ?

warpig57warpig57 Posts: 10
edited January 11, 2023 12:55PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I got this cent from my father; all of the markings are cent however its shinny like a dime. I would say it's a steel cent because it will stick to a magnet however from my understanding steel cents were only made in 1943? this is dated 1965 D

Comments

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like a polished (damaged) 1964-D cent.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 651 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much wrong on everything.
    Shiny doesn’t mean dime. It’s not 1965. If it sticks to a magnet then it’s not even a genuine Cent.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks plated and is worth 1 cent.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 14, 2022 5:29PM

Plated after it left the mint. Electroplating cents is a common high school science experiment. It's not an error

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    FredWeinbergFredWeinberg Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭

As above, it’s been plated as novelty item – not an error of any kind

Retired Collector & Dealer in Major Mint Error Coins & Currency since the 1960's.Co-Author of Whitman's "100 Greatest U.S. Mint Error Coins", and the Error Coin Encyclopedia, Vols., III & IV. Retired Authenticator for Major Mint Errors
    for PCGS. A 49+-Year PNG Member...A full numismatist since 1972, retired in 2022
  • Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

How strongly does it stick to a magnet, compared to an actual 1943 steel cent? If it only sticks "weakly" in comparison, then it's likely to have been nickel-plated. A bronze coin plated with a thin layer of nickel will still stick to a strong magnet, but not a weak one.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely plated. Value is one cent. You can spend it.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭

@gumby1234 said:
    Definitely plated. Value is one cent. You can spend it.

Well, technically, there might be legal difficulties if they try to spend it now. It's been plated and, as per the OP's description, it kind of resembles a dime now, thanks to the plating. Under 18 USC 331, not only is the actual act of plating a penny to try to make it look like a dime illegal, but spending a plated penny in the hopes that it is accepted as a dime, is illegal too - that would qualify as "fraudulently uttering" a coin that they know has been plated.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options

Thank for the info however if the cent is plated that does not explain what is sticks to a magnet, that would indicate its steel?

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

@warpig57 said:
    Thank for the info however if the cent is plated that does not explain what is sticks to a magnet, that would indicate its steel?

It would indicate that it is fake

• Options
    ACopACop Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or maybe enough electroplating is magnetic

• Options
    1Mike11Mike1 Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks copper colored to me. It's plated or someone laid into it with a buffing wheel. :s

"May the silver waves that bear you heavenward be filled with love’s whisperings"

"A dog breaks your heart only one time and that is when they pass on". Unknown
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

It is plated with a ferro magnetic metal, that is why it is attracted to a magnet.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a plated coin. The added metal accounts for the color, condition and magnetism. No numismatic premium. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Aspie_RoccoAspie_Rocco Posts: 3,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

What kind of magnet? If it is a super strong magnet, it is probably picking up the plating. If it is refrigerator magnet and the cent sticks, it is most likely counterfeit.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@lcutler said:
    It is plated with a ferro magnetic metal

Is it even possible to plate with a ferrous metal?

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭

@conrad99 said:

@lcutler said:
    It is plated with a ferro magnetic metal

Is it even possible to plate with a ferrous metal?

Ferrous and ferromagnetic are not the same, nickel is ferromagnetic and one of the most common plating metals.

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

I see. So ferromagnetic metals are not ferrous?

Well, I just looked it up. Learn something new every day!

https://www.moleymagneticsinc.com/a-comprehensive-list-of-ferromagnetic-materials/

• Options
    2ndCharter2ndCharter Posts: 1,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Could you please ask any future questions without the foul language? Thank you.

Member ANA, SPMC, SCNA, FUN, CONECA

• Options

@2ndCharter said:

HELL is not foul language

• Options
    Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭

@warpig57 said:

@2ndCharter said:

Welcome.
    Around here hell is where we get sent for breaking the rules.
    If you don’t appreciate a gentle reminder perhaps you should check said rules. Also, we can flag any post found offensive and that’s not exactly what you want. I’ll take a friendly reminder anytime.
    Enjoy and remember to collect what you like 😉🙀🦫

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@warpig57 said

I agree with you on that. ........but that's the only thing I agree with you about.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2022 1:56PM

@Lazybones said:
    That is the extremely rare issue from the Brasso collection.

A few years ago,....out of boredom,..... I embarked on a new coin project!!!!...... I had tubes of wheat and memorial copper cents laying around. So,.....I had a GREAT IDEA!.......Search through the tubes, pick out one date and all the mint marks from each year, Copper cents from 19??-82?, then polish them up and put them in a coin folder!!!!!! Make them all look like CAMEO PROOFS!!!!.... So, I did it......I used BRASSO for the polish and a very soft cloth.....Every morning I worked on it while drinking coffee..... Lots of coffee.......Very, Very painstakingly!!!!.... I got beautiful results!!.... Every penny turned out looking EXACTLY like warpig57's specimen!!!!....I never did put those pennies in an album........What was I thinking?????.......Anyway,.... You're correct, Lazybones.....BRASSO!!!!!!😂

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nickel is magnetic so if your coin does stick to a magnet as you say then you have a nickel plated Lincoln cent - Hell yeah! B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

agree with above. likely nickel plating since nickel is magnetic and it looks like it has a relatively thick layer of plating judging by the mushy details

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

QUESTION ABOUT TOKEN
    Does anyone have any information on this Mahoney token? I looked all over the place and can't seem to find any information regarding it such as the date or how Minney was made, or how much it may be worth?
    Any info would be appreciated!!

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 10, 2023 8:37AM

@warpig57 said:

@2ndCharter said:

Your language is inappropriate. See rule # 1. Read and heed the rules in link below.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/1009079/pcgs-forum-rules-and-guidelines-updated-4-19-2021#latest

• Options

@warpig57 said:

QUESTION ABOUT TOKEN
    Does anyone have any information on this Mahoney token? I looked all over the place and can't seem to find any information regarding it such as the date or how Minney was made, or how much it may be worth?
    Any info would be appreciated!!

Why are you bumping your old thread on something completely unrelated, instead of starting a new one?

Young Numismatist

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

:/

• Options
    erscoloerscolo Posts: 494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Take your language elsewhere, thank you.

This discussion has been closed.