Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buy The Book - Gold Liberty (Double) Eagles

Hi Folks — Would anyone recommend a book on Liberty Gold Eagles and Double Eagles?

The ideal book would include collecting strategies, grading guide, date details, mintage and survival figures, etc

Comments

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 9, 2022 9:36AM

"A Guide Book of Gold Eagle Coins" by Q. David Bowers would be my suggestion. "A complete source for History, grading and Values." I have tabs all over the place. I like that it is all color photos and (edited)** not** a B &W book. The forward is by Doug Winter and he is one of the best gold dealers.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I second the recommendation by @pcgscacgold. I have the book and it is excellent. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the type 3 double eagle book by Fuljenz. I think I got it for free on a bullion website.

• Options
    Cranium_Basher73Cranium_Basher73 Posts: 2,816 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:
    "A Guide Book of Gold Eagle Coins" by Q. David Bowers would be my suggestion. "A complete source for History, grading and Values." I have tabs all over the place. I like that it is all color photos and (edited)** not** a B &W book. The forward is by Doug Winter and he is one of the best gold dealers.

I have the Redbook that he did that first came out around 2004. No color pics in that one unfortunately. I would prefer the color pic one. I need to buy it.

Throw a coin enough times, and suppose one day it lands on its edge.

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

At the top of the first page of the us forum is a Resources thread. In the first post of that thread are some links to various sources. There are two for $20 Lib book by Doug Winter (copied below). There are some others about the specific mints. These are older versions but if they appear what you want could order newer editions.

NNP: Type I Double Eagles, 1850-1866 - Douglas Winter, Adam Crum (2002)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559680

NNP: Type Two Double Eagles 1866-1876, Second Edition - Douglas Winter, Michael Fuljenz (1999)
    https://nnp.wustl.edu/library/book/559681

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Bowers book is excellent and academic. The Fuljienz book was part of a marketing campaign for his company Universal Coin, very little in the book covers history or background of the issues; it has a rarity ranking and pricing from around 20 years ago.

• Options
    GoldFinger1969GoldFinger1969 Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 5, 2023 9:36AM

**2 More Options: ** Roger Burdette's SAINT-GAUDENS DOUBLE EAGLES book which is The Bible for Saints (heavy reading, over 600 pages).

Also, Q. David Bowers' LIBERTY HEAD DOUBLE EAGLES is a nice coffee table book but really not a resource for LH DEs per se. It's more of a year-by-year look at the financial, economic, and cultural happenings in the United States with a focus on what was happening to gold and LH DEs.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭✭✭

@pcgscacgold said:

My vote too. (Though in fair disclosure I am biased, being listed in the credits.)

• Options
    edited February 3, 2023 2:08PM

@1northcoin said:

@pcgscacgold said:

My vote too. (Though in fair disclosure I am biased, being listed in the credits.)

The problem is the book is dated 2004. It's a FANTASTIC book that is deserving of a 2nd Edition, if not by Mr. Bowers, then by someone else working with and in consultation with him.

Aside from the price data needing an update, the TPG, hoard, and collector data has moved light-years since 2004. They've done at least 4 and maybe 5 updated editions for the Morgan Silver Dollar in the 18 years since.

For Saints alone, you can get Roger Burdette's magnus opus for a recent perspective on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles. But no other book to my knowledge covers both Saint-Gaudens and Liberty Head DEs.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:
    **2 More Options: ** Roger Burdette's SAINT-GAUDENS DOUBLE EAGLES book which is The Bible for Saints (heavy reading, over 600 pages).

Also, Q. David Bowers' LIBERTY HEAD DOUBLE EAGLES is a nice coffee table book but really not a resource for LH DEs per se. It's more of a year-by-year look at the financial, economic, and cultural happenings in the United States with a focus on what was happening to gold and LH DEs.

Roger Burdette's book is no longer available for direct purchase any more. BTW- nice to see you here as well as ATS :smile:.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:

Roger Burdette's book is no longer available for direct purchase any more. BTW- nice to see you here as well as ATS :smile:.

Thanks Al !! Actually been a member here since 2015 or thereabouts but I never posted as I must have gotten scared off or something. :)

That's very surprising about the RWB Saint-Gaudens book. I know the original run wasn't that big but that could explain it: drip-and-drab purchases just depleted the inventory. I wonder if Heritage is holding some back....maybe going to do another print run....or maybe even reach out to RWB about a 2nd Edition if they think in a few years they can sell even more of a newer version with updated data (though it's the Bowers' Red Book that's really in need of a critical data and price update).

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@FlyingAl said:

Thanks Al !! Actually been a member here since 2015 or thereabouts but I never posted as I must have gotten scared off or something. :)

That's very surprising about the RWB Saint-Gaudens book. I know the original run wasn't that big but that could explain it: drip-and-drab purchases just depleted the inventory. I wonder if Heritage is holding some back....maybe going to do another print run....or maybe even reach out to RWB about a 2nd Edition if they think in a few years they can sell even more of a newer version with updated data (though it's the Bowers' Red Book that's really in need of a critical data and price update).

I'm not sure, but whatever the case there are no books left for purchase. I'm not sure why it's still up on their website.

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@1northcoin said:

@pcgscacgold said:

The problem is the book is dated 2004. It's a FANTASTIC book that is deserving of a 2nd Edition, if not by Mr. Bowers, then by someone else working with and in consultation with him.

Aside from the price data needing an update, the TPG, hoard, and collector data has moved light-years since 2004. They've done at least 4 and maybe 5 updated editions for the Morgan Silver Dollar in the 18 years since.

For Saints alone, you can get Roger Burdette's magnus opus for a recent perspective on Saint-Gaudens Double Eagles. But no other book to my knowledge covers both Saint-Gaudens and Liberty Head DEs.

My edition is 2017 and has Auction results from 2016 so many updates to the 2004 book you mentioned.

• Options

@FlyingAl said:
    I'm not sure, but whatever the case there are no books left for purchase. I'm not sure why it's still up on their website.

Did you attempt to buy a copy ?

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:
    My edition is 2017 and has Auction results from 2016 so many updates to the 2004 book you mentioned.

The Bowers Red Book on Double Eagles is still 1st Edition @ 2004 on Amazon and Whitman.

Do you have the right book ?

• Options

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

The Bowers Red Book on Double Eagles is still 1st Edition @ 2004 on Amazon and Whitman.

I’ll PM you.

• Options
    DeplorableDanDeplorableDan Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I think that you guys are talking about two different books. @pcgscacgold was talking about Q David Bowers "Guide book of Gold Eagle Coins" of which there is a 2nd edition. You were talking about the Q David Bowers Double eagle book that hasn't been updated since 04, right?

• Options

@DeplorableDan said:

@GoldFinger1969 said:

@pcgscacgold said:

I think that you guys are talking about two different books. @pcgscacgold was talking about Q David Bowers "Guide book of Gold Eagle Coins" of which there is a 2nd edition. You were talking about the Q David Bowers Double eagle book that hasn't been updated since 04, right?

Yes, I realized that too. Either way, I still needed to reply to his post where he quoted me, and have since PMed @GoldFinger1969. Thanks!

• Options

I also replied because I was quoted and a reference was made about the book being form 2004 (incorrect date).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file