Home Sports Talk

Does bad weather ruin good football?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pat McAfee says he believes that every stadium in the NFL should be a dome, or at least have a retractable roof. He says that when there is no weather factors such as rain/wind to interfere with the game, it is simply better football.

Do you agree?

Comments

• GroceryRackPackGroceryRackPack Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2022 11:27AM

Do you agree? -- "it is simply better football" -- Do you agree?
    Um.. That would be a big No for me...
    Ice Bowl: Packers Cowboys
    Fog Bowl: Bears Eagles
    Chargers Dolphins OT in 82
    and again in 82 Freezer Bowl: Bengals Chargers.
    Those were a few quick ones that I thought of... :)
    Oh, and Super Bowl IX Steelers Vikings on that rain soaked poly-turf in Tulane stadium

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think what Mcafee means is, like when the elements are so bad that the game slows down and all they can do is run the ball and we don't get to see football at it's full speed, full throttle. I must admit, I have watched some bad weather games that were played at a snails pace and they couldn't even throw a pass and it was boring as heck, so I understand what he's saying. But, I still enjoy a good cold weather game and I love the snow games.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 7, 2022 11:46AM

why can't the scientists just make better weather? no dome needed.

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,164 ✭✭✭✭✭

It absolutely ruins certain team’s strengths and takes away from the game BUT it’s fun as hell to watch a game played on a muddy field!

Look at last years Pats vs Bills game, it was a fun game to watch but it literally ruined the Bills chances of beating the Pats

I say let each team decide if they want a dome or not

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not fun for fans sitting in the freezing cold, rain or snow, but sure is nice to watch in front of my fireplace!!

• TabeTabe Posts: 6,006 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with McAfee. I definitely prefer goods weather games.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

No and weather is part of the game.

Michigan- Ohio State November 1950... HORRIBLE WEATHER... GREAT AND MEMORABLE FOOTBALL

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,121 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 1:17PM

@GroceryRackPack said:
    Do you agree? -- "it is simply better football" -- Do you agree?
    Um.. That would be a big No for me...
    Ice Bowl: Packers Cowboys
    Fog Bowl: Bears Eagles
    Chargers Dolphins OT in 82
    and again in 82 Freezer Bowl: Bengals Chargers.
    Those were a few quick ones that I thought of... :)
    Oh, and Super Bowl IX Steelers Vikings on that rain soaked poly-turf in Tulane stadium

The cold weather, and mainly the wind, absolutely ruined the Freezer Bowl!!!!!

Steve

Sean Landetta agrees.

https://youtu.be/l-RfBnHfSCQ

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh Jeez, does this mean the "New wave" athletes are getting soft? Show them some of the "Good Ole Boys" - no matter what weather.....

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 12:10PM

No.

edited July 17, 2022 6:53PM

In 2016(?) the Dolphins came to L.A. to play the Rams.......It rained during the game.....the crowd loved it!!!!!

• AFLfanAFLfan Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd say that perfect weather (dome stadium) allows football to be played more like it is intended to be when draw up on a chalkboard, and allows for things like Barry Sanders' unimaginable juking ability that would be severely compromised in heavy weather. The addition of weather may reduce the "perfection" of the football being played, but it also adds an element that can make the game unforgettable such as those listed above by @GroceryRackPack. I guess it depends what each fan would rather see.

Todd Tobias - Grateful Collector - I focus on autographed American Football League sets, Fleer & Topps, 1960-1969, and lacrosse cards.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 18, 2022 1:11PM

Rain is no good for football, and lightning certainly bad for the game because they have to stop it.

A nice ice bowl or snow game can be fun as long as I’m watching it on TV. :D I well remember the game when the Patriots got by the Raiders in the middle of near blizzard conditions which started their dynasty.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
    edited July 18, 2022 1:42PM

@BillJones said:

I well remember the game when the Patriots got by the Raiders in the middle of near blizzard conditions which started their dynasty.

I don't recall that Raider/Patriots game......but the same thing happened in the 1969 Ram/Vikings playoff game.....The Rams went to Minnesota and it was total snowbowl!......The Rams did not have a chance in that game...they were at the total mercy of the weather!....and the Vikings.....Beginning of the GREAT Viking teams of the 1970's. Before the enclosed stadiums,...... the West Coast teams were at a real disadvantage against the Eastern teams......especially in the playoffs!

Those Viking teams were awesome!..... And Bud Grant was a very good head coach..... PURPLE PEOPLE EATERS!

edited July 22, 2022 6:46PM

No.

Then why do some of the indoor sports take the chance and plan outdoor games? The NHL has been doing this for nearly 2 decades and the NCAA basketball is going back to doing a game on an aircraft carrier.

@Alfonz24 said:
    Then why do some of the indoor sports take the chance and plan outdoor games? The NHL has been doing this for nearly 2 decades and the NCAA basketball is going back to doing a game on an aircraft carrier.

Those games, like the NHL Classic on New Years’ Day, are “showboat” games. They are rare and give the league publicity.

Here in Florida, the Tampa Rays have to play in domed stadium. Otherwise, there would be so many rainouts and suspended games that they could never finish the season.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?

The Trop is a joke!. They needed something like Miller Park, which is awesome.

@BillJones said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Those games, like the NHL Classic on New Years’ Day, are “showboat” games. They are rare and give the league publicity.

Here in Florida, the Tampa Rays have to play in domed stadium. Otherwise, there would be so many rainouts and suspended games that they could never finish the season.

edited July 18, 2022 2:35PM

Chances are the team will be leaving Tampa when the lease expires in, I think 2028, if not sooner. The local politicians have little interest in helping pull a deal together to build a new stadium, and attendance is not good, even with a winning team. The Rays management has already looked to split the home games between Tampa and Canada, but that idea was shot down.