Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1959 no mint mark ddo/ddr die break????

Can anyone tell me what I'm looking at here doesn't look like postman damage

Comments

• Options

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

How do you think that could be made that way at the Mint? What process would it go through to result in that damage? Answer that and you'll have your answer.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 877 ✭✭✭✭

Hahahahahahahaha
    Postman damage certainly

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

PMD = Post Man Damage :D

• Options

Well yeah some of it is but look at liberty the E an Y are ok looking the rest not the best but how does those an the date survive that kind of post damage? I mean there's little chunks of metal everywhere an there might be a ghost d

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,074 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonnydew420 said:
    Well yeah some of it is but look at liberty the E an Y are ok looking the rest not the best but how does those an the date survive that kind of post damage? I mean there's little chunks of metal everywhere an there might be a ghost d

420 definitely.

It's just damage. PERIOD.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonnydew420 said:

I agree, as I doubt that the postman was the one who damaged the coin. There are infinite other possibilities.

To those who are taking this thread seriously, please reconsider.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,679 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don't blame the mailman, Wawa is the culprit! Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

seriously?

Did you ever hear of a car tire?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    BJandTundraBJandTundra Posts: 383 ✭✭✭✭

Apparently, this is the quality you get when you let a Postman work a coining press.

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're basically saying "I can't explain how that could be damaged, therefore it must be an error". That's the wrong way to justify an error.

In order for it to be an error, you have to explain how it could occur during the minting process. Extremely knowledgeable members who understand the minting process have told you it can't occur

Here are some basics to get you started. If you are searching for errors, and aren't spending a chunk of your time learning and studying the minting process, you'll just keep spinning your wheels.

This is going to sound rude (not intended), but recognizing that your coin is parking lot damage is something that is very basic. Even with a very rudimentary understanding of the minting process, it's obvious PMD. Your post really says you need to put down the loupe and spend time learning the process. You have to start somewhere

https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=104&v=mqPvKxJXC_Y&feature=emb_title

https://www.coinnews.net/2014/01/06/how-the-denver-mint-makes-dies-to-produce-coins/

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely Post Mint Damage... Severe, almost certainly a parking lot coin. No further explanation necessary. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,343 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newbies, please take advantage of the many free coin info sites available, suchas CoinFacts, and do a 1 minute research of the coin you think is special before taking photos of a destroyed coin and posting. 1 minute of your time. Please.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Newbies, please take advantage of the many free coin info sites available, suchas CoinFacts, and do a 1 minute research of the coin you think is special before taking photos of a destroyed coin and posting. 1 minute of your time. Please.
    Jim

Come on Jim! It keeps us entertained.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think (not just the postman), but anybody and everybody took a crack and a whack at this cent. Definitely an abused specimen.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭✭✭

2c melt value congrats!

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,745 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonnydew420 said:

Don't anger your mail carrier anymore and he might stop doing that to your coins!

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options

Ok look here smart guys

• Options

• Options

Let me guess post damage right? Found this one today with several others in my old winn Dixie warehouse that is now used for our furniture storage..

• Options

Found these coins in the corner under the desk where they used to count money

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Postman hates coins so he takes them out of their package and runs them over a few times with his truck, then repackages and delivers them - happens all the time.... B)

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options

• Options

So is it really pmd cause idk that don't... Want the next example

• Options

Seriously found all these in the same spot with some other various dates

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Sonnydew420 said:
    Want the next example

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

• Options

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 8, 2022 6:32PM

Hopefully you saved the links showing the minting Process that members took the time to link for you. Go back and look at them in detail. Now where could that have occurred in the process?

Or maybe it could simply be corrosion PMD.

If you're going to be searching for errors, you need to invest some time in learning the minting and die making processes. Not trying to be rude but even with a little knowledge of the minting process, it's obvious that your coins are not errors.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭

Post mint damaged coins are all you have nothing more, nothing less

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file