Home U.S. Coin Forum

******* HELP ME Identify this 1980p QUARTER PLEASE*****

Hi i was weighing out quarters an came across a couple of 1980 p an was weighing them one came out to be 5.6 for second then to 5.5 mine doesn't do the hundredth.. Then i throw the second one on an its 6.1 an drops to 6 theres nothing wrong with the coin looks in good condition.. Its also looks a whole lot thicker an it has more crisp looking edges instead of rounded..

Tagged:

Comments

  • cheezhedcheezhed Posts: 5,682 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Pics?

    Many happy BST transactions
  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Why are you weighing random quarters? 🤔

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Sonnydew420 said:
    Hi i was weighing out quarters an came across a couple of 1980 p an was weighing them one came out to be 5.6 for second then to 5.5 mine doesn't do the hundredth.. Then i throw the second one on an its 6.1 an drops to 6 theres nothing wrong with the coin looks in good condition.. Its also looks a whole lot thicker an it has more crisp looking edges instead of rounded..

    I'm going to go with environmental damage.

  • RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭

    @JBK said:
    Why are you weighing random quarters? 🤔

    YouTube told them there are billion dollar quarters just floating around... you just have to find them.

  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @Sonnydew420... Welcome aboard.... We will need pictures of both coins... You can post a link to a picture now, but you cannot post pictures for a few days (forum protocol). Cheers, RickO

  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,934 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Stop wasting your time looking at "fortune in your pocket change" videos.

    All glory is fleeting.
  • AlexinPAAlexinPA Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

  • TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

    HELP ME Identify this 1980p QUARTER PLEASE

    simple look at the bottom of the obverse:

    You will see the date there

    Frank

    BHNC #203

  • Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Or it could be worth millions ... keep looking and weigh all the coins you can

  • Thanks CHe_Grapes! I can't find anything out about it still and I've called auction houses, appraisers and authenticators. Does anyone know anything else I can do to figure out the value or if this has been found before?

  • ctf_error_coinsctf_error_coins Posts: 15,433 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Value = 25 cents.

  • Hi just to put this question up again.. i was weighing out quarters an came across a couple of 1980 p an was weighing them one came out to be 5.6 for second then to 5.5 mine doesn't do the hundredth.. Then i throw the second one on an its 6.1 an drops to 6 theres nothing wrong with the coin looks in good condition.. Its also looks a whole lot thicker an it has more crisp looking edges instead of rounded..

    Tagged: quarter

  • silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 9:02AM

    all you have is a common everyday quarter and worth 25 cents

  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 9:32AM

    Why do you keep posting? It's the equivalent of spamming the board.

    You received accurate answers from knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Did you not read them or do you have too many posts to follow? Go back and look at what members have told you. Continuing with additional Posts isn't going to change the answer

    Member of the ANA since 1982
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 10:50AM

    @Sonnydew420 said:
    Hi just to put this question up again.. i was weighing out quarters an came across a couple of 1980 p an was weighing them one came out to be 5.6 for second then to 5.5 mine doesn't do the hundredth.. Then i throw the second one on an its 6.1 an drops to 6 theres nothing wrong with the coin looks in good condition.. Its also looks a whole lot thicker an it has more crisp looking edges instead of rounded..

    Tagged: quarter

    Could it be struck on half dollar stock?

    Edited to add: this seems unlikely. Halves are 2.15 mm thick versus 1.75 mm thick for quarters. My math says that a quarter on half dollar stock would weigh 6.8 grams.

  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 10:52AM

    @Oldhoopster said:
    Why do you keep posting? It's the equivalent of spamming the board.

    You received accurate answers from knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Did you not read them or do you have too many posts to follow? Go back and look at what members have told you. Continuing with additional Posts isn't going to change the answer

    Actually, if you look at the photos, they may have something. It is thicker.

  • CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Just slightly over tolerance. It happens. Not significant.

    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,841 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Slightly thicker stock it appears. Not sure anyone would pay a premium for a coin that is only slightly out of tolerance.

  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

    Can someone pull the pics off Facebook and post here?

  • OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

    @jmlanzaf said:

    @Oldhoopster said:
    Why do you keep posting? It's the equivalent of spamming the board.

    You received accurate answers from knowledgeable collectors and dealers. Did you not read them or do you have too many posts to follow? Go back and look at what members have told you. Continuing with additional Posts isn't going to change the answer

    Actually, if you look at the photos, they may have something. It is thicker

    Other members previously posted the same conclusion on at least some of the half dozen plus posts made by the OP - slightly thicker stock.

    Member of the ANA since 1982
  • RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭

    @Sonnydew420 said:
    Thanks CHe_Grapes! I can't find anything out about it still and I've called auction houses, appraisers and authenticators. Does anyone know anything else I can do to figure out the value or if this has been found before?

    Dude he is just messing with you.
    You have your answer... From the board. If you disagree, which, I assume you do since you keep posting the same question... Send the coin into PCGS.

    The planchet of a half dollar is large and it would be obvious if it were on a half...
    SBA weight 8.1 grams

    You have a 1980 quarter on a slightly... SLIGHTLY thicker planchet making it worth .25 cents.

    It is not your lottery ticket.

  • JBKJBK Posts: 14,734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 3, 2022 11:57AM

    OP: if it is struck on half dollar or otherwise thick stock it is a very interesting find, but it would not make you rich. You seem very anxious as if this "find" could be worth thousands of dollars.

    If you want a best case scenario of what you might have, Google "quarter struck on dime stock" or "quarter struck on half dollar stock". Or "quarter struck on rolled thick planchet". The values might bring you back down to earth. ;)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file