Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CRH - Do you keep your copper cents?

What do you do with your copper cents when you find them coin roll hunting? Just wondering. Comments are also appreciated. I just finished my first Lincoln Cent hunt and ended up with about 4 pounds of copper in two boxes. Thanks!

Young Numismatist

CRH - Do you keep your copper cents?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ya, if I notice them

Steve

Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

if i see them i put them aside

• Options
    ernie11ernie11 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭✭✭

Only the wheat ears.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I separate them from the zinc cents and keep them.

I do keep them, but I don't know why since I can't really do anything with them.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't separate them at all.

I only save the wheats also. Although the copper memorials do make good custom sized washers for my lawnmowers :D

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭

Don’t do a ton on CRH but have gone through $50 or so w/my kids. Never given a thought to copper content during that process, as far as keeping them goes.
    Until last year I worked at a copper mine and had all the copper exposure I could stand.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:
    I do keep them, but I don't know why since I can't really do anything with them.

Yeah, this is where I'm at too. I kinda find it fun to do though, although I haven't roll hunted in three years. I think I've probably got twenty pounds of them now. Who knows what I'll do with them!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    element159element159 Posts: 494 ✭✭✭

I used to save them, until about a month ago. Then I moved, and then decided that I did not need/want to move any more coppers, so I am done with that now.

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

There are approximately 145 copper pennies in a pound. The current price of copper as of June 24, 2022 is $3.74 per pound. SO no. how many pounds do you need to keep to make it wortwhile? plus the bulk of the actual pennies themself. NO THANKS.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is illegal to melt US cents for the purpose of selling the copper content, so there is no real reason to hang onto them unless you plan to build a bunch of folders/albums with those circ coins.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not CRH cents anymore, but I do keep all wheaties I find in change. So, if I were to CRH, I would do the same. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have every penny I have ever received for many many years!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 12:55PM

The real reason is because I know myself better than anyone. After all the CRHunting I've done from the beginning. I probably would of accumulated over $200-$300 worth (face value) by now. I absolutely would of just cashed it in for spending money. All would have been just a waste of time and space for nothing!
    To each his own. You guys can go right ahead. I'm good.
    :D

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

Copper not exactly rare. Not worth the effort. For the melt value, nickels are the better bet since you don't have to sort them except for a rare war nickel.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 875 ✭✭✭✭

I have 3 55 gallon barrels of copper cents sans Wheaties in one the outbuildings.
    Only separated on copper or not.

Wife picks me a few boxes a week and I separate to decompress.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of now, I save the copper pennies. They'll never go down in value so if I going to CRH, I'm going to keep them

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no sense in keeping them. The government is not under any pressure to eliminate the ban on melting copper coins even though they have been out of mintage for 40 years. During the silver melt ban of the mid 1960's there was a lot of pressure put on the government to reverse the ban on melting silver coins. There is plenty of copper to go around, melting coins will not influence the price of copper.
    Nickels the same way, there is no shortage of the metal. Since the government will not remove the ban because they are worth more than melt, until they come up with a solution, they will not end the ban on melting nickels. Thus the ban on melting nickels and pennies will be here for a long time yet. Younger people may want to save them for the metal content, but still the melting ban is here to stay until the nickel situation can be sorted out. This could take many years.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file