Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Do you feel guilty buying coins?

DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

Assuming that it wasn't a "steal," or way over price guides, do you feel guilty when buying a coin?

Do you feel guilty buying coins?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 7:49AM
    I have mixed feeling, delighted to find the coin; but, feeling a little guilty spending the money.

I have worked hard and enjoy collecting and no one in my family sacrifices anything by my collecting (other than of course having to listen to me talk about coins). And collecting gives me pleasure and happiness which I deserve!

At the same time, there is a lot of trouble, strife, and need in the world and instead of "doing good" I spend a lot of money on bits of metal that sit in a box. For the cost of one coin I could change someone's life for the better.

So yeah, I'm conflicted.

EDIT - I'm flying to the Long Beach show today to buy more coins. Perfect encapsulation of these feelings.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

NO guilt feelings.......I don't know what I do or do not deserve, but certainly no guilt over enjoying coins.

• Options
    coinandcurrency242coinandcurrency242 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭
    No guilt feelings, I deserve it!

I like to treat myself. I don't feel guilty because I love the coins a pick out to buy.

Positive BST as a seller: Namvet69, Lordmarcovan, Bigjpst, Soldi, mustanggt, CoinHoader, moursund, SufinxHi, al410, JWP

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

It's part of my Entertainment Budget. I dont feel guilty about buying groceries either...

That said... it's one of the first things I'm ready to cut back on should the need arise. With inflation at record levels and two adult children living with me, its still discretionary spending.

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

I’m with @lkenefic. I budget for it and enjoy it very much. I have a very low level of what I think I “deserve” but when there’s money available to allocate to coins it’s just an expense that brings me pleasure, like the frozen fruit I bought for the kids last night or the 12 tacos for $10.
    It’s a low priority, but not one that makes me feel guilty at all (I’ve had regrets, but that’s a topic for another poll).

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭

i deserve it. im not going to blow it on rent (yet)

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

there are things i feel guilty for, buying numismatics ain't one of them. ;)

tbh, i usually feel guilty for not buying MORE!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

buying coins is something i have done since 2003 no guilty feelings what so ever

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting that the op did not vote in his poll.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

only after the one i let get away.

• Options
    oih82w8oih82w8 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭✭

My collection is primarily funded by my part time job. No worries.

oih82w8 = Oh I Hate To Wait _defectus patientia_aka...Dr. Defecto - Curator of RMO's

BST transactions: dbldie55, jayPem, 78saen, UltraHighRelief, nibanny, liefgold, FallGuy, lkeigwin, mbogoman, Sandman70gt, keets, joeykoins, ianrussell (@GC), EagleEye, ThePennyLady, GRANDAM, Ilikecolor, Gluggo, okiedude, Voyageur, LJenkins11, fastfreddie, ms70, pursuitofliberty, ZoidMeister,Coin Finder, GotTheBug, edwardjulio, Coinnmore...
  • Options
    giorgio11giorgio11 Posts: 3,821 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

I track what percentage of my assets are in rare coins as opposed to other assets and investments and have limits on how much is in coins/related (precious metals) at any one time.

VDBCoins.com Our Registry Sets Many successful BSTs; pls ask.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

I will give up the hobby when buying a coin causes guilt. I enjoy each coin I buy. I do feel guilty selling them for upgrades.

• Options
    air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 800 ✭✭✭✭
    I always feel guilty spending the money; but, I like collecting coins

I'm happy I have guilt when I make a purchase, it's just a small part of being a good money manager. I have some expensive hobbies; coin collection isn't one of them.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 30, 2022 1:12PM
    I have mixed feeling, delighted to find the coin; but, feeling a little guilty spending the money.

I'm a titewad. :D In that I like to know where the $ is going.
    I keep a loose budget, in that I know what most things run me each year (generally). But my hobbies tend to be out-of-budget "rainy day" funds. Having 1 income, I try to not run amok with spending; retirement is looming on the horizon.

My other hobby is guitars and glad I slowed down chasing gear there, but traded it for chasing this hobby in the last few years, back -filling things I may have missed when 1st issued. (Most of you are WAY more serious about it than I am.)

I get the guilty pang when I buy bigger ticket items, like the 95W proof ASE from HA this year. But I take solace in that it completes the proof ASEs I own. That palladium eagle really takes a bite each year too, but ... love the design.

I get a similar feeling when I need to do big-bux home improvements too, like the $4k to re-pave the driveway. I try to set aside the funds for something like that before I get the work done. But after its all done and paid for - aaahhh, I can enjoy the results. B)

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

I like the question but I can't let feelings in the way. It's just business.
    Or rather; I never feel guilty buying coins, because I am guilty of buying coins.

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

The only time I have another thought was on three occasions when I bought a coin - because my mentor said it was okay - when I thought it wasn't. I was right each of these three times.

Moral of the story. Your mentor may know more than you do, but that's more often than not, not always.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

Tell ya what I almost feel guilty about is when I submit coins for people who don't believe when I say " it's a problem", but they insist on submitting. Seems a waste of hard earned money for a "genny".

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Never guilty for a purchase. They’re all thought out and can always be resold

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the beginning--it felt right, but now, I ask myself: "How many coins does one person need??" :p:o

I thought that finishing my Walker set would give me some closure.....But instead, I now find myself looking at other series.... :#

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any questions?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never... I am not feeling guilty for continuing a numismatic journey that has nothing but various paths to pursue that can begin and end as my interests dictate

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no problem buying coins. In fact it's something that is supported by my wife. She understands them pretty good. It's guns I struggle with. I can't seem to sell and I just keep buying and she gives me hell every time she walks into my office and is surrounded by my pretty little hole punchers.
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OKbustchaserOKbustchaser Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

No guilt here...I figure the stress release from collecting has has saved me far more money in unspent medical bills than my collection will ever amount to.

Just because I'm old doesn't mean I don't love to look at a pretty bust.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

No guilt whatsoever. To me my coin purchases are for my hobby and they're recreational. I don't view my collection as an important part of my investment portfolio; though I do value it as an asset. If I was buying coins as investments then I think I'd feel guilty for not being better at managing my assets.

• Options
    CoinHoarderCoinHoarder Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

I would have voted “no guilty feelings”, but I don’t like the “I deserve it” part.

I do not spend large amounts of money on coins. Generally, most purchases these days are under $50. or $100.

I do have expensive and key coins in my collection that I purchased years ago before I retired.

• Options
    DisneyFanDisneyFan Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    Interesting that the op did not vote in his poll.

I wouldn't want to influence others' votes, one way or another. : )

Appreciate everyone's votes and comments

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have another thought.

Not at all! It's my money to do what I want with.

• Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 5:39AM

No, not at all. Everyone needs a hobby, and I have to believe that coin collecting is cheaper then playing golf 2/3 times a month or buying a boat...

Also, other then a few coin shows/shops, coin collecting is a hobby that pretty much keeps you at home...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file