Home U.S. Coin Forum

Gold Buyers: Your thoughts on this eBay purchase?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 29, 2022 10:40AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Comments

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,614 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's fine as a coin. I wouldn't buy it as "gold".

• lermishlermish Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

As bullion, it's too expensive. As a "bullion-like" investment it's too expensive.

As a coin, it's fine. You can find better prices but if you like the look and/or holder, it's fine.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Overpriced in today's market, and, just based on pictures, I think it would be downgraded at our host's service. Cheers, RickO

• JeffersonFrogJeffersonFrog Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not sure from what angle you are asking. As a 20+ year, experienced veteran of these Boards, I assume you are not asking from a bullion point of view. It is the lowest priced coin of that date and grade on eBay at present and from the last 90 days' sales, it is in an NGC gen 2, "white core" holder, and it looks like a solid grade from the pictures (although the obverse is not lit very well). If you were looking for a Saint to add to your collection, I say you did well. If you are looking to resell, I would have passed.

If we were all the same, the world would be an incredibly boring place.

Tommy

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JeffersonFrog said:
    Not sure from what angle you are asking. As a 20+ year, experienced veteran of these Boards, I assume you are not asking from a bullion point of view. It is the lowest priced coin of that date and grade on eBay at present and from the last 90 days' sales, it is in an NGC gen 2, "white core" holder, and it looks like a solid grade from the pictures (although the obverse is not lit very well). If you were looking for a Saint to add to your collection, I say you did well. If you are looking to resell, I would have passed.

I do appreciate the variety of opinions expressed within this thread- including yours.
    Spending 20 years on these boards does in no way make me an expert. I value and learn from everyone here- truly on a daily basis. I know I paid retail for it yet as I don't plan to resell it didn't mind doing so. Not everything has to be a rip.
    It is a coin I wanted to add to my type collection. The gold is the last of it.

peacockcoins

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    Nice coin. I like those old NGC slabs with the gold embossed logo. You paid a fair price for it.

What I would say. 1926 is not one of the most common dates, gold embossed holder in good condition, and a fair(not cheap) price for the coin. If I saw it and was in the market for a $20 at this time ( I will be again not just now because I just bought one ) I would have snapped it up. I think it could sell for a bit more today because of the gold embossed holder.

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

A suggestion: if you desire more responses take a screenshot or others photo options, and post it to the thread rather than using a link that pulls us away from the forum.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,845 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MilesWaits said:
    A suggestion: if you desire more responses take a screenshot or others photo options, and post it to the thread rather than using a link that pulls us away from the forum.

Terrific suggestion! I have now done so. Thanks.

peacockcoins

• jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice 63

• MilesWaitsMilesWaits Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for posting the photos. Yes I agree I would only approach it from a near bullion cost point.

Now riding the swell in PM's and surf.
  • logger7logger7 Posts: 8,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you have a chance even though cac is not accepting a lot of submissions now, I'd include it with a submission, you may get lucky with a thumbs up in person.

• blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Historically way overpriced as bullion. From a collectible standpoint that coin looks closer to a 65 than a 63 to my amateur eyes. . No idea what that makes it "worth" in the collectable market..... $2300 is probably close. With gold I'm way more a bullion guy than a collector....so what do I know?. RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• ReadyFireAimReadyFireAim Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 10:17PM

@braddick said:
    Your thoughts on this eBay purchase?

It looks good to me. :)
    I'd guess MS64 but the picture is a bit too fuzzy to totally nail the grade.
    The 1926 is the least common of the common saints & I don't see the price getting lower on that one anytime soon.
    Careful...Saints collecting can get addictive ;)

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

When you get the coin in hand you can check for the TDO variety. ;)
    I don't see it in the photo but it would be tough to see with that photo.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,899 ✭✭✭✭✭

A nice Mint State St. Gaudens $20 gold is not a bullion coin. If you want bullion at bullion prices, a modern coin is the better choice.

Having said that, will the price of this coin fall if the gold price drops? ABSOLUTELY! You can’t be dealing with something that contains almost an ounce of gold, which derives a lot of its value from its gold content, and not its value sensitive to the gold market.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • ARCOARCO Posts: 4,387 ✭✭✭✭✭

A chunk of gold, one of the most aesthetic artistic designs and a piece of history. What is not to love?

• conrad99conrad99 Posts: 375 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Love the way ASG's glyph almost stands in place of a mint mark. Never really thought of it that way before.

• justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@ifthevamzarockin said:

Nice variety! I like👍👍👍

• Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s a nice coin, nothing wrong with it

Mr_Spud

• justmenutty72justmenutty72 Posts: 394 ✭✭✭

@braddick
    Very nice coin, looks solid for the grade👌 I love those old 2.0 holders. A lot of the coins in those holders have very good upgrade potential, with any service.

• raysrays Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you got the coin for about $500 over gold value, it seems to me maximum you could have overpaid is $500. In that context, I think it’s fine.

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think it's very nice.

Collector, occasional seller

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file