Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1857-S Seated Liberty Quarter

EddiEddi Posts: 455 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is the last of my auction wins at the November 1988 Norweb Collection sale.
It was a bit brighter when I bought it. It has been sitting on a windowsill literally for decades and has toned further.

I would appreciate your opinions including grade.

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

Xf45 -au50

• Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU50 by current standards. It was probably considered to be XF in 1988.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited June 29, 2022 6:34AM

Thank you.

You will notice that there are some very small edge nicks here and there.

Would they be serious enough to detract from the grade in a significant way?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like an XF45 to me.... including the edge nicks. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll go au50 fwiw

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

XF45+... The rim nicks are the only thing keeping it away from AU, IMO...

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Eldorado9Eldorado9 Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it has some original mint luster, I could see it as AU.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

I guess the large S is not significant ?

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm thinking 50 and the rim nicks are trivial IMHO!

• Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 2:11PM

45 and very pleasing!

Tom

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it at XF45 but would not complain about AU50 either.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 29, 2022 2:51PM

@Treashunt said:

Most of these early S mint coins had huge mintmark punches.

My grade is 45, and a very nice 45 at that.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see it in an XF45 holder. Nice example!

• Options

@Omegaraptor said:

@Treashunt said:

Most of these early S mint coins had huge mintmark punches.

My grade is 45, and a very nice 45 at that.

Thanks

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    7Jaguars7Jaguars Posts: 7,255 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yikes, do not ask an English dealer to grade that one! Good VF there. I see it as a 40 even though the reverse quite nice.

Love that Milled British (1830-1960)
    Well, just Love coins, period.
  • Options

Thank you for your comments and your opinions on grade. They are very much appreciated.

This was another of the lower grade coins in the Norweb Auction, but this one did deserve a photo in the catalogue.

There were two 1857-S quarters in the sale. The other one was graded MS, and this one was graded EF if my memory serves.

@Catbert said:
    I would like to visit your house just to see random raw coins lounging throughout your home! You have posted some quality coins, especially your early copper. :)

Actually, yes, I do have my coins lying around various rooms in the house, a fact which my very understanding wife (much against her inner wishes) puts up with, but only on condition that they do not accumulate dust. She hates dust, so she insists on dusting my coins, even those lying around in open trays.......thankfully she has some very soft dusters which she insists will not damage my coins.... :#

• Options
    SmudgeSmudge Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Treashunt said:

No, all the "S"'s on 1857 quarters are large.

• Options

@7Jaguars said:
    Yikes, do not ask an English dealer to grade that one! Good VF there. I see it as a 40 even though the reverse quite nice.

If you have any seated liberty quarters that look like this and grade them VF, I will buy all you got. This coin is at least XF45 and if it is not at least XF45 OP needs to re-submit it.

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

50 here.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@7Jaguars said:

If you have any seated liberty quarters that look like this and grade them VF, I will buy all you got. This coin is at least XF45 and if it is not at least XF45 OP needs to re-submit it.

I suggest you then check some British Auctions such as Baldwin's or Nona's that have been around a very long time, respected, and you will see exactly what I mean - they will reject it as an EF. I collect Victorian silver and as an example bought an 1839 currency half crown as EF in a Glendining auction that later graded MS64 at our hosts and a later GB penny bought as gEF that graded MS65RB. So yea this coin would grade in at gVF as they like to say. In any case as nice as this coin is, it is not IMHO above the 40. So no it is not an EF on that basis.

• Options

As I said "if you have any vf liberty seated coins that look like that I will gladly pay you vf prices for them". I have been collecting liberty seated coins for a long time and know what an xf looks like using US grading. British grading is different.
    Please sell me all your vf (British graded) US liberty seated coins!! US coins go by US grading standards.

• Options

@rec78 said:

@Treashunt said:

No, all the "S"'s on 1857 quarters are large.

Thanks

Frank

BHNC #203

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 4:42AM

@7Jaguars said:

@rec78 said:

@7Jaguars said:

I suggest you then check some British Auctions such as Baldwin's or Nona's that have been around a very long time, respected, and you will see exactly what I mean - they will reject it as an EF. I collect Victorian silver and as an example bought an 1839 currency half crown as EF in a Glendining auction that later graded MS64 at our hosts and a later GB penny bought as gEF that graded MS65RB. So yea this coin would grade in at gVF as they like to say. In any case as nice as this coin is, it is not IMHO above the 40. So no it is not an EF on that basis.

Yeah, and there used to be some US bargains to be had in Europe until they realized how much they were leaving on the table and adjusted to US standards!

• Options

Uh, news: they haven't changed at the major and classic venues. I'm in the middle as coins such as the OP are very nice but would not grade them higher than as stated. Grading standards here are definitely more lax/

• Options
    conrad99conrad99 Posts: 345 ✭✭✭

@Eddi said:
    This is the last of my auction wins at the November 1988 Norweb Collection sale.
    It was a bit brighter when I bought it. It has been sitting on a windowsill literally for decades

This remark implies a degree of stability, not to mention domestic felicity, that I have never been fortunate enough to experience. My congratulations.

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting discussion... Not taking sides.

We are looking at an image that really may not capture the lustre- if there is lustre, it seems that the strike is above average and an AU grade seems appropriate. However, the image... and that is all we have from our end... seems to reflect that there is a dull flatness which may limit the grade to somewhere between 40 or 45 on a good day.

Navigating grading from just seeing the coin in hand can be a challenge...In this instance, the images simply do not leave me with a level of confidence to grade this coin within the AU spectrum.

Having written all of this, it is still a nice coin for the date. I just bought an 1842 quarter- its a significantly better date as well. I have that one in hand and I am not certain/confident how it would grade as it exhibits decent lustre but there is weakness which extends beyond the strike. The wear seems problematic in terms of assigning the most appropriate grade.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file