Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection

1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection - from the NNP
https://youtu.be/I3CaNvMQjxA

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Comments

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Simply Staggering, There's some OK coins in his set... ;)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston said:
    A Behind-the-Scenes Look at the Hansen Collection - from the NNP

quite a joy to watch; thanks for posting it!

really enjoyed hearing from other members of the team as well as hansen that help to build, expand, improve, sell dups and more. appreciated some of the lingo they used and the mentioning of this forum as well as currin's efforts which are notable.

VERY VERY much appreciate it being public in the registry for a myriad of reasons.

something that jumps out at me and i presume is not easily achievable except for the just right lighting, angles and camera is how when going over the proof coins, you can see luster bands on many of them.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Enjoyed watching the entire video.

• Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,151 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great story. Not to take away anything from Hansen, how much more leg work did Eliasberg have to do to put together his collection before the internet age?

The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    edwardjulioedwardjulio Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

A significant portion of The Eliasberg Collection was the en bloc purchase of The Clapp Collection.

End Systemic Elitism - It Takes All Of Us

• Options
    mavs2583mavs2583 Posts: 200 ✭✭✭✭

Now I understand why so many Hansen coins are available on David Lawrence.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1630Boston... Thanks for the video. What an amazing collection. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,911 ✭✭✭✭✭

@edwardjulio said:
    A significant portion of The Eliasberg Collection was the en bloc purchase of The Clapp Collection.

Agree. It would be great for all these coins to be provenanced to “Clapp-Eliasberg”.

• Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭✭✭

A truly amazing collection. I did not realize, until I watched this video the breadth and depth of his collection.

Thanks for sharing the video.

Donato

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
    Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)
  • Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very informative and entertaining video.

• Options
    jclovescoinsjclovescoins Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is great! Enjoyed watching. Well narrated too

• Options
    csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

That was an awesome and interesting video to watch! Thank you for posting it. Now I will go back to my regularly scheduled programming of kittens attacking big fluffy dog tails videos.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cool video. I wonder why Hansen doesn't come around these boards to hang out.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    MrScienceMrScience Posts: 727 ✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

Maybe he's one of our recent members that share parking lot finds or newly discovered microscopic varieties? ;)

• Options
    vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting video, thanks for posting.

Vplite99
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

I believe he’s posted here on at least a few occasions.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭✭

Very well done video, I enjoyed watching it. Thanks for posting

• Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭✭✭

Incredible rarity, and stunning examples.

The funds required to chase a set like this is absolutely mind numbing. I'd say he's done fairly well in real estate!

Dave

Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that was most informative and interesting. Thanks for sharing this. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree this is an amazing video. I had the pleasure of being invited into the DLH Collection vault. That was maybe three years ago. It was amazing to see the coins at the time, and has only got better since. Most people don’t know, but there is a 85% complete 3700 piece secondary set in the collection. He speaks of his second set in the video. He does not sell coins from the first two sets.

Yesterday, he posted the purchase of 16 early US Half Dollars from the Dr. Charles Link Collection. Only 16 coins, but if you a half dollar fan, you will be amazed by these coins. I started a series discussing this purchase on Hansen watch. If you have not be keeping up on the updates, the video does a great job of being you up to speed. If you would like to see what’s new in this collection, just start on page 86. See you there.

My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    The_Dinosaur_ManThe_Dinosaur_Man Posts: 840 ✭✭✭✭✭

An enjoyable watch! That occupied a part of my evening.

Custom album maker and numismatic photographer, see my portfolio here: (http://www.donahuenumismatics.com/).

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Am curious about what he thinks of CAC since most of what was shown in the collection are stickerless.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

@Catbert said:
    Am curious about what he thinks of CAC since most of what was shown in the collection are stickerless.

dang. now you mention it! thanks.

i think i kinda noticed but i was so focused it was kinda fleeting.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 1, 2022 10:33AM

@Catbert said:

I mean when you're buying the finest known, CAC kind of loses it's value. The quality of the coin when compared to others is where CAC holds a lot of value, but when you know it's the best out there, there's not as much need. That's how I see it anyways.

Edit: I thought someone might mention that his collection is not all finest known. I'm aware, but the spirit of the post is that he may have less need for CAC than the rest of us.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

ok. watched most of it again and it is impressive how much time the video gives to Hansen's predecessors. that says a lot.

anyone with a note pad (or better recall than me) should be able to garner MUCH material for numismatic research and enjoyment. like with the archives here, i scarcely know where to start!

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Catbert said:

Most of what is shown is in a new holder with the special Hansen label. Some of them are cac approved but have not been sent to cac for a re-sticker. The video briefly showed some sets that he had purchased. The perfection trade dollars were in the holder with the Hansen label and no cac. I believe all of the perfection coins were cac approved. Don't know what he thinks of cac but can't go by what is seen with the new Hansen label holders.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options

as a side-note, has anyone noticed a "beefier" slab for ultra-value/ultra-raritiy coins? it seems like somewhere in the vid i was cringing inside thinking of anyone of those slabs hitting the floor and breaking like glass BUT somewhere in the vid, it seems like while a slab is being handled/rotated, it looked like a heavy-duty version, which to me, would only make sense. surely this is the case? i'm not talking about the oversized.

• Options
    gonzergonzer Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭✭✭

He seems like the kind of guy you could belly-up to the bar with and share some brews.

• Options

@mavs2583 said:
    Now I understand why so many Hansen coins are available on David Lawrence.

if you have the desire, there are a few? threads about this and MAYBE even a video or two probably/possibly linked.

some of the commentary may be spirited.

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you to the Newman Numismatic Portal for making the video and for all their content which they provide for free.

• Options
    jomjom Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great video...thanks for the link.

jom

• Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭

Awesome video and collection. Thanks for sharing.

• Options
    ParadisefoundParadisefound Posts: 8,588 ✭✭✭✭✭

Almost could bring myself to believe of their existence 🥰 Totally amazing!!!!!

• Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

While D.L. Hansen is not nuts about CAC, he partakes in MANY of the all CAC Composite Registry sets, and while not always ranked at the top, many of his all CAC Registry sets have a high percentage of CAC coins, with only a few holes!

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Currin said:
    …..(D.L. Hansen) does not sell coins from the first two sets.

As he acquires a new coin then for his first set, is it fair to assume that the coin being replaced is then used for the “second set”, and if so, is the coin then being replaced from the second set then typically sold by DLRC with the Hansen label on the slab?

Steve

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,615 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lianna Spurrier of Numismatic Marketing did the heavy lifting to create this video. Kudos!

• Options
    1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Coinosaurus said:
    I am pleased to report that this video earned the 2022 NLG "Best Video" award, presented at the ANA convention last week.

That's great :)

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file