Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

PCGS grade in

ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭
edited July 9, 2022 12:44PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I should have my PCGS grade on this in a few days. What do you grade it? It has blazing luster FYI. Oh, and it's a DDO, FS-101 cherrypick. Not a dramatic doubled die, but tough nonetheless!! I'll give my opinion later.

1929 5C DDO FS-101 (016.8)
MS65
USA

Comments

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 10:41PM

Above average strike for a 29, I’ll go with 65.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess is MS64, and if the coin has “blazing luster”, that’s not apparent in the images. The luster looks more satiny to me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

MS65. Nice coin.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

That is a nice Buff... I would say MS64.... Nice details obverse and reverse. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think 64

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

my guess would be ms62 or 63 just because of the nicks on the nose otherwise a very nice-looking coin, you should be very happy with whatever you get it's a keeper for sure.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

64 odd lighting but decent images. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

I would say 64. Rev is easy 65 and Obv is 63.75 ( gotta be original in my breakdown)

• Options
    Steven59Steven59 Posts: 8,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

Using the supplied pictures I'd go 63. No blazing luster apparent - obverse will hold it down

"When they can't find anything wrong with you, they create it!"

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭✭✭

I feel the lack of luster may or not hold it back. Photos don't always show luster and grader's don't have to rely on photos. If coin has luster not in photo then 65 and if not 64. Absolutely well struck 29.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

If the the luster is there I see it as a 65. If not 64.
    As a footnote the images leave a lot to be desired. Looks like it was pounded with light. I agree the strike is above average for the date.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options

Thanks guys! I use my Wife's makeup light for my pics so that might explain my picture issue!!! I grade it 63. We'll see what our Host see's it as. I appreciate the brutal honesty!!!!!! I will post the results when they come in.

• Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

@crazyhounddog said:
    If the the luster is there I see it as a 65. If not 64.
    As a footnote the images leave a lot to be desired. Looks like it was pounded with light. I agree the strike is above average for the date.

Joe’s post actually makes me feel better about the coin. My initial reaction based on the photos is that the coin may have been overdipped although the carbon spots would suggest otherwise.

Good luck and please post the resulting grade.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like Mark said, it's more satiny than brilliant. Too bad it has those black obverse spots. The coin's look overall is "clean", with a fully struck top feather.

The reverse looks better than the obverse.

It would be a 65 without the spotting so I'll say 64.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options

Just got word from our host:

MS65
    USA

Thanks for all the opinions!! I’m pretty happy about it! Happy 4th of July to everyone.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice result, and you had it at 63! Luster likely fuller that photos indicate.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Manorcourtman said:
    Just got word from our host:

MS65
    USA

Thanks for all the opinions!! I’m pretty happy about it! Happy 4th of July to everyone.

Post the glamour shot when you get it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file