Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Plastic used in grading holders

logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is there a logic to the plastics that PCGS, NGC, Anacs and ICG have been using? NGC seems to be a softer almost rubbery plastic, is that so it doesn't scratch so easily? Anacs plastic seems to be the hardest and ICG plastic seems to scratch the easiest, not sure on the old ICG holder vs. the current one.

How would you assess the quality of the plastics used? Maybe someone who knows the science behind them could comment.

Comments

• Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Rigid plastic coin holders provide some of the best protection for your coins. Most are made with inert plastic, such as polystyrene. Unlike cardboard 2x2 holders and coin flips, rigid plastic holders are specifically made to house a particular coin size. They come in many varieties and styles that can hold individual coins, uncirculated sets, proof coins, and entire collections. For custom holders, Capital Plastics is the leading manufacturer. YEAH, what yahoo said. lol

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

This article says they use acrylic plastic https://www.pcgs.com/news/its-more-than-just-a-piece-of-plastic

I used to think they used polycarbonate plastic, like many lightweight eyeglass lenses are made of, but the article above says acrylic plastic is used. Maybe some of the other companies are using polycarbonate plastic, which I think is tougher than acrylic plastic.

Mr_Spud

• Options
    Mr_SpudMr_Spud Posts: 4,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 5:02PM

If you read these as well as the patents that cite the first patent I think you will find out what types of plastic are involved

https://patents.google.com/patent/US4878579

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/5c/e5/4b/8b07ae3e34c425/US5109977.pdf

Mr_Spud

• Options
    LuxorLuxor Posts: 410 ✭✭✭✭✭

The newest generation PCGS holders are their best yet IMO as far as overall clarity and scratch resistance.

Your hobby is supposed to be your therapy, not the reason you need it.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I prefer the PCGS holders.... Size, durability and clarity. I have some NGC, IGC and ANACS, so have seen differences. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,469 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the pcgs announcement (may 2015) for the new holder. I copied the part about the new design and material. The other is mostly about security.

https://www.pcgs.com/news/pcgs-introduces-superior-new-holder

Proprietary polymer formula with embedded PCGS identifiers: Made from a new blend of crystal-clear, scratch-resistant plastic that's tested to be 99.99% chemically-inert. The chemical formula contains PCGS-specific additives that can be detected using a special handheld device. These sturdier, tamper-evident holders have no edge seam, are virtually airtight and will provide even more protection against potential environmental damage to coins.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know Slab Renew doesn't work on ngc holders.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@leothelyon said:

I tried cleaning up a slab of a modern in an NGC holder a number of times and the hairline scratches did not go away.

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@leothelyon said:

I tried cleaning up a slab of a modern in an NGC holder a number of times and the hairline scratches did not go away.

The product "Slab Renew" that came in the mail had some instructions warning me the stuff does not work on ngcc slabs. That's how I learned. Nonetheless, it was tempting to give it a try but never/haven't caved in yet. :p I have only a dozen coins in that slab anyways......in 31+ years!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options

@leothelyon said:

@logger7 said:

@leothelyon said:

The product "Slab Renew" that came in the mail had some instructions warning me the stuff does not work on ngcc slabs. That's how I learned. Nonetheless, it was tempting to give it a try but never/haven't caved in yet. :p I have only a dozen coins in that slab anyways......in 31+ years!

Leo

Walmart carries Maguire's products, scratch removers too. Aren't these the same thing chemically as "Slab renew"?

• Options
    FrankHFrankH Posts: 784 ✭✭✭✭✭

@logger7 said:

@leothelyon said:

I found a light touch with Simichrome to work well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file