Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Kennedy Half on Heritage: I hope no one gets hurt . . .

Browsing upcoming auction on Heritage and notice this one:

https://coins.ha.com/itm/kennedy-half-dollars/1966-50c-ms67-pcgs/a/1347-3775.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116

The die markings match a late stage DDO-017 which is a common SMS coin. The price difference between a business strike MS67 1966 Kennedy verses a Special Mint Set MS67 is substantial. There is very little premium for the DDO as the DDO-017 is very common and kind of bland.

Comments

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭✭✭

I recommend sharing your concerns with @MFeld. I believe you are correct and that the coin was incorrectly designated as MS rather than SMS via a "mechanical error" on the label.

The reverse die scratches on the OP coin below match an SMS example from CoinFacts:

https://images.pcgs.com/CoinFacts/42182065_217235210_Max.jpg

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 27, 2022 1:40PM

That's unfortunate, it actually even looks like an SMS at a quick glance, but I've seen a good number of SMS coins. This could easily trick a newer collector. I'm surprised PCGS got this one wrong and Heritage didn't catch it. Perhaps @MFeld could look into it (I have no idea if that's in his job description at Heritage).

Whether it's caught or not, I would expect MS67 prices from this one and it would go into a registry as an MS67 (you see this with proofs labeled as MS69). I wonder if PCGS would fix this as a guarantee resubmission or if they would claim clerical errors. I think the latter option would be an interesting way to handle this as there's nothing obvious about this to a new collector.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 28, 2022 7:05AM

I've been told that the lot will be withdrawn from the sale.

Thank you.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

The lot has been withdrawn. Good catch. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for your eagle eye catch @JFK_Collector.
    I am glad that Heritage removed the coin from auction.
    So many of us rely on the label.
    This is why we need to research an item to know what we are buying.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file