Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Anyone want to get medieval with me? LOL

rokkyrokky Posts: 308 ✭✭✭✭
edited June 14, 2022 10:42AM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

I know this is a US Forum, but I just thought it would be fun to share, to see if anyone else here has something like this in their collection. This is the only medieval coin I have left in my collection. For some reason I just couldn’t part with it. Had many other British hammered which were much more costly than this, but just couldn’t let this go.

35F1F15E-29F2-4FC5-B60B-DA87077DE4D3
997DC4EA-EF37-4619-B5BE-109266E3A323
1DC629F0-F4B7-417E-8EE4-8722E24BCE91

Comments

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,603 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin, but no. Wrong forum.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Thank you.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice coin. I have a number of Medieval and earlier coins.

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

My medieval coins are from the Netherlands, Germany and Austria. All of them
    with dates prior to 1501 A.D.

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

My medieval coins are all British, starting Alfred the Great.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options

Here’s one I wish I had back. Obverse: Henry I Reverse: Saric on Safte (Shaftesbury) in retrograde. Extremely rare.

80E8DE5C-AA64-4FB6-AC85-ADFB8ADAF672

• Options

@BillJones said:

All of mine were British also except for the French coin I posted. But that coin is of English King Henry VI, issued for his claim to the French throne also. But I’m sure you already know that. Is the Alfred the Great a portrait coin? London monogram?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Nice coin. I have a number of Medieval and earlier coins.

Thank you jmlanzaf.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no medieval coins, but have always marveled at their survival. And when I read about a hoard being dug up, I wonder how many more treasures are buried out there. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2022 8:14AM

@rokky said:

@BillJones said:

All of mine were British also except for the French coin I posted. But that coin is of English King Henry VI, issued for his claim to the French throne also. But I’m sure you already know that. Is the Alfred the Great a portrait coin? London monogram?

An Alfred the Great portrait coin? Not on my budget. I was lucky to get this one, which has been clipped. Despite that, it's got sharp lettering. It came from a London dealer who was at the Winter FUN show just before the pandemic. Those were the days!

To put the age of this coin into context, Alfred ruled from 871 to 899. And yes, he deserved to be called "The Great." He was a superb leader who was ahead of his time.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    edited June 14, 2022 9:12AM

@BillJones said:

@rokky said:

@BillJones said:

An Alfred the Great portrait coin? Not on my budget. I was lucky to get this one, which has been clipped. Despite that, it's got sharp lettering. It came from a London dealer who was at the Winter FUN show just before the pandemic. Those were the days!

To put the age of this coin into context, Alfred ruled from 871 to 899. And yes, he deserved to be called "The Great." He was a superb leader who was ahead of his time.

Very nice coin nonetheless! Moneyer Eadberht in retrograde. Nice! I didn’t have an Alfred the Great unfortunately. And yes, he was called the Great for a reason. King of Wessex and later King of all Anglo-Saxons who decisively defeated the Vikings/Danes. Did you purchase the coin from AMR or Mike Vosper?

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since you got pushed over to the world forum now, here are a few I agree these are fascinating.

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    Since you got pushed over to the world forum now, here are a few I agree these are fascinating.

Really beautiful coins Bob. The fact that my post was pushed over here though, I can technically understand, but at the same time it really rubs me the wrong way. I no longer collect medieval hammered. I collect US coins. I just thought it was a nice change up for some of the members, but someone had to have a problem with it. Just seems really petty to me. If they didn’t want to post anything or have anything to do with it they could’ve just ignored it like they do with other posts. I’ve noticed there are some older members in the US forum that can be quite unpleasant. And there’s really no need for it. Hmph.

• Options
    BailathaclBailathacl Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭

Generally not necessary to wear a flame-retardant suit in this forum. Glad you paid a visit, intentional or not.

"The Internet? Is that thing still around??" - Homer Simpson
  • Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've wanted to get one of those coins for a little while. It's on my list.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    Bob13Bob13 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t think coin collectors are known for their social graces!

I try to slip in some world coins here and there on the US side. Who knows, maybe like me someone there will follow the path to the dark side here!

My current "Box of 20"

• Options

@Bailathacl said:
    Generally not necessary to wear a flame-retardant suit in this forum. Glad you paid a visit, intentional or not.

Thank you Bailathacl.

• Options

@neildrobertson said:

Are you referring to my Henry VI? It was on my list too for quite a while, and it took me a fair amount of time to locate a nicely centered full flan coin. When I did locate this piece, there was no indecisiveness. I just knew I had to have it, lol.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rokky said:

@neildrobertson said:

Are you referring to my Henry VI? It was on my list too for quite a while, and it took me a fair amount of time to locate a nicely centered full flan coin. When I did locate this piece, there was no indecisiveness. I just knew I had to have it, lol.

Yes. I'm slowly trying to pick up french and european medieval coins of similar size.

This is my latest pick-up:

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

@Bob13 said:
    I don’t think coin collectors are known for their social graces!

I try to slip in some world coins here and there on the US side. Who knows, maybe like me someone there will follow the path to the dark side here!

Sometimes it’s fun to take a walk on the wild side, LOL

• Options

@neildrobertson said:

@rokky said:

@neildrobertson said:

Yes. I'm slowly trying to pick up french and european medieval coins of similar size.

This is my latest pick-up:

Very nice coin Neil! Any coin with a sword on it is a sure-fire winner to me! Lol

• Options
    EddiEddi Posts: 454 ✭✭✭✭✭

My small collection of late medieval Goldgulden from the German States and France.
    The large coin in the middle is a Rose Noble or Flemish Noble from Gorinchem in the Netherlands.

• Options

Quite impressive group, Eddi! And all are well centered and well struck coins. My favorite is the Ecu d’ Or of Charles VII? at 12 o clock. Something about the fleur-de-lis that I really like.