Home Sports Talk
Options

Is Cock Fighting A Sport?

HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 12, 2022 11:25AM in Sports Talk

Or even just bird fights in general?.... If it is, I have a front row seat! Vicious aerial warfare..... It's got the NFL beat by a country mile!.....I need to know.....thinking about setting up bleachers and selling tickets....

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,020 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2022 11:37AM

Yes, it is a sport, I was priveliged enough to fly to Malaysia and watch Sugar Ray Reynolds fight, he was the best ounce for ounce fighter ever!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 11:41AM

Dragon Master,.....why do you have to wreck all the threads I start???...... I'm being serious,..... for once!......Why?

O.K., Your post IS funny, but we gotta get serious around here. It's like forum training for the upcoming NFL season. We need to get into shape.... FOCUS!!!!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

Absolutely not.

• Options

@LandrysFedora said:
    Absolutely not.

What makes you the expert?..... That is NOT the answer I wanted to hear.....O.K., I did ask, but now I'm disappointed.

• Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,532 ✭✭✭✭✭

Among uncivilized morons, yes.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

@grote15 said:
    Among uncivilized morons, yes.

Are you referring to the birds?.....

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@LandrysFedora said:
    Absolutely not.

I agreed with you. I don't consider it to be. There are cultures, times, people, who have been and are involved with this type of thing. And I do not want to judge, because I believe that they do not see it as wrong. Depending on when and where you were born, your relationship with certain animals, and your idea of sport, can be quite different.

When I moved to Texas in 2006, I was thirty years old. And I honestly had never given much thought to this kind of thing. But I did (through work) run into someone who was selling birds for just that thing.

Rewind a few years from that, and we are back to my seven years living in New York City, the last six in the Bronx. There was a halal chicken butcher place near where I lived, and if I walked past it early enough in the day, I would have to leave the sidewalk for about twenty feet and walk on the street. The reason was that, every day very early, they had their chickens dropped off and they just stayed their on the sidewalk for I don't know how much time until the place opened. They were all stacked up in these cages, taking up the entire sidewalk. And they were really crammed in. And let's just say that, looking back on it, I guess they were fighting. With each other, for their lives, whatever.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Dragon Master,.....why do you have to wreck all the threads I start???...... I'm being serious,..... for once!......Why?

O.K., Your post IS funny, but we gotta get serious around here. It's like forum training for the upcoming NFL season. We need to get into shape.... FOCUS!!!!

I can answer this.

It is because we all have jobs around here, but the duties are not always well-defined or followed.

@doubledragon is a comedian, but we know him enough and for long enough that we see his serious side sometimes and also respect it.

You, @hydrant, started as more of a straight man. But you've delved into comedy as of late, and done it quite well in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

@thisistheshow said:

@LandrysFedora said:
    Absolutely not.

I agreed with you. I don't consider it to be. There are cultures, times, people, who have been and are involved with this type of thing. And I do not want to judge, because I believe that they do not see it as wrong. Depending on when and where you were born, your relationship with certain animals, and your idea of sport, can be quite different.

When I moved to Texas in 2006, I was thirty years old. And I honestly had never given much thought to this kind of thing. But I did (through work) run into someone who was selling birds for just that thing.

Rewind a few years from that, and we are back to my seven years living in New York City, the last six in the Bronx. There was a halal chicken butcher place near where I lived, and if I walked past it early enough in the day, I would have to leave the sidewalk for about twenty feet and walk on the street. The reason was that, every day very early, they had their chickens dropped off and they just stayed their on the sidewalk for I don't know how much time until the place opened. They were all stacked up in these cages, taking up the entire sidewalk. And they were really crammed in. And let's just say that, looking back on it, I guess they were fighting. With each other, for their lives, whatever.

Yeah Show as an animal lover I just see this as unnecessary animal cruelty in my opinion.

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 4:49PM

@thisistheshow said:

I can answer this.

@doubledragon is a comedian, but we know him enough and for long enough that we see his serious side sometimes and also respect it.

You, @hydrant, started as more of a straight man. But you've delved into comedy as of late, and done it quite well in my opinion.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Showboat....... It's time to come clean..... There is no Hydrant.... I don't exist......Hydrant is Double Dragon's alt. Yes, he is the comedian and I play the straight man...but I'm tired of it....I've had enough!..... I want to be the star!......Up until now it's been one big psycho drama in Dragon Master's head.....split personality......now....Lowly Grasshopper is breaking free!.....

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@thisistheshow said:

I can answer this.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, Showboat....... It's time to come clean..... There is no Hydrant.... I don't exist......Hydrant is Double Dragon's alt. Yes, he is the comedian and I play the straight man...but I'm tired of it....I've had enough!..... I want to be the star!......Up until now it's been one big psycho drama in Dragon Master's head.....split personality......now....Lowly Grasshopper is breaking free!.....

..well, thanks for letting us know, and I guess I was on the right track.

• Options

Is that why one of you believes in climate change, and the other thinks it's a scam? This is all making a lot of sense (unlike the guy who got fired from the penny factory on his first day).

• Options

Yes, many clues add up now. DD has mentioned before that he was here on the boards before under different names. Hydrant joined in 2015, but didn't make a post until 2020 I think. Don't know about comments. There is of course a lot more, but I don't necessarily have time to go into it all right now.

• Options

You say that Hydrant is DoubleDs alt, but isn't it really the other way around? 🤔🤷 Chicken or egg type of thing?

• Options

Please, can we all just focus on how great Sugar Ray Reynolds was!

• Options
    edited June 12, 2022 7:25PM

Grasshopper focused.....like laser beam! How could not be..... sat at knee, not to mention twirling in the head, of Dragon Master!...we are one Master......You taught me all.....Lowly Grasshopper is now hop in wind....... Adios Amigo!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Grasshopper focused.....like laser beam! How could not be..... sat at knee, not to mention twirling in the head, of Dragon Master!...we are one Master......You taught me all.....Lowly Grasshopper is now hop in wind....... Adios Amigo!

So Hydrant is leaving? I thought he would stay around just be funny too?

I was just consulting with my online therapist, and he said that there is less than zero percent chance that you two are the same people. I think he said that it's more likely for the Bears to win the next SB. So what I'm saying is,.. I guess you can both stay 🤷

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see no sport in it.

It’s the same as dog fighting although I hold dogs in a much higher regard.

They are both tasteless and disgusting in my opinion

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

I was just consulting with my online therapist, and he said that there is less than zero percent chance that you two are the same people. I think he said that it's more likely for the Bears to win the next SB. So what I'm saying is,.. I guess you can both stay 🤷

I am not Hydrant, Hydrant is not me, there is a better chance of the Detroit Lions winning 4 straight Super Bowls!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

no, cockfighting is not a sport, neither is dog fighting or the gladiatorial "games" for that matter.

any time man or beast is forced into combat against their wills for their lives, it is not sport, but a very cruel form of slavery.

athletes are not compelled but compete by choice.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@thisistheshow said:

@Hydrant said:

I am not Hydrant, Hydrant is not me, there is a better chance of the Detroit Lions winning 4 straight Super Bowls!

Ok. I slept on it and I believe you. But it would have been a great surprise reveal. All time classic long con! Lol

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hydrant said:

It is in Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

It is in Guam, the Northern Mariana Islands, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Are these the only places it's officially recognized as a sport, because obviously it takes place elsewhere as well.

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I see no sport in it.

It’s the same as dog fighting although I hold dogs in a much higher regard.

They are both tasteless and disgusting in my opinion

You can include horse fighting as well.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

Are these the only places it's officially recognized as a sport, because obviously it takes place elsewhere as well.

I don't know. I'm not a cock fighting connoisseur.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

@OAKSTAR said:

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

I wasn't saying you were. My apologies. 🤷🤣 I just thought by the way you listed those four places that perhaps you had looked it up or something.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@thisistheshow said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@Hydrant said:

I wasn't saying you were. My apologies. 🤷🤣 I just thought by the way you listed those four places that perhaps you had looked it up or something.

No need to apologies. I just looked it up here.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=Where+is+Cock+Fighting+legal

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭✭✭

Man, I thought for sure this would be a Jake Paul thread…

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options
    edited June 15, 2022 3:29PM

I actually attended a cock fighting event...it was a small gathering.....just a bunch of local drunks out back of some shack. I was probably 7/8 years old.....My best friend suggested that we go.......so we did!.......at that time of my development, one of my evening chores was to cut off chicken heads to get them ready for dinner........ It was gross but us boys always got a kick out of watching chickens fly around with their heads cut off......so, it wasn't so much the brutality of the cock fight that impressed me........I saw that on a daily basis......what really made an impression on me was the crowd!....... Looking back......The only thing I can compare it to was like being at a Raider game when they were in L.A. REALLY! There's a reason they left town...🍻

The birds were NOT the main attraction.... Not for me at least....

• Options

The fights are dusturbing when I really think about it. They equip them with razor sharp blades.

• Options

I took the above picture from a forum thread from 2008. It's a different forum than this one obviously. I found it in a search just now. Apparently, from what I can tell, a new member joins, starts a thread, and wants to know and confirm the best way to sharpen such a blade to use in the Philippines for these fights. The forum is intended to talk about knives/sharpening but not not for this type of thing, and there is a little discussion. You guys might find it interesting. It honestly plays out quite a bit like our thread did in some ways. Let me know what you think ...

https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=34043

• Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Animal cruelty

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 2:09PM

@Mickey71 said:
    Animal cruelty

I understand where you're coming from, Mickey, and I can't disagree with you. But, from personal experience, I know that you shouldn't put two Roosters (A Rooster is a male chicken, i.e., A cock) together in any enclosed space. Especially if there are Hens around ( A Hen is a female chicken). If you do put two Roosters together they will engage in the same behavior that they do in a cock fight......in other words, they fight to the death. So they don't need any human encouragement. They do it on their own.......So, I got to thinking...... Yes, it's animal cruelty. But it's animal to animal cruelty. And is it any different from human to human cruelty?..... Like the sport of BOXING? And boxers do it on their own too....they don't need any Rooster help to get them going.......They just need a crowd of paying customers.....Like Roosters need Hens. Maybe two humans shouldn't be placed together in an enclosed space..... especially when a crowd of other humans is paying to watch them hurt each other....is that Human Cruelty????

Why is it wrong, I think it is, to watch animals make a bloody pulp out of each other and yet humans pay big bucks and idolize other humans that beat the sh*t out of humans??????......What's the difference?.... Man, I'm confused!

• Options

@hydrant I can take the macro view of this argument and see where you are coming from. But let me try to steer you into some different vantage points.

I know that you, based on what I think I know about you, believe in and recognize the difference between humans and animals. And don't go giving me some textbook definition of the word "animal". You know what I'm talking about. You also know and understand that some humans are either born in a way, or eventually come to live in a way, that they cannot make decisions for themselves. But outside of this, humans have freewill.

Freewill comes from God. Some might ask how there can be an omnicient God, all-knowing, if we also have freewill. Well, the answer is that yes, we have freewill while God simultaneously knows everything that will happen. How is this possible? I don't know exactly. Ask God. But I digress, somewhere within what I just wrote is my rebuttal to your points.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭✭

NO, people are sick if they go to those things!
    How would you like to be on the receiving end of those claws or whatever they use.

• Options

@hydrant this is the kind of stuff that made me, just for a second, think that you might actually be @doubledragon 's alt. Because you come in with arguments that are diametrically opposed to DD on big issues. Climate change. Boxing. Hunting. And yet you say you are learning from him as well. So it's easy to see how you both could be one person just working out your issues, in front of all of us, in realtime on Sports Talk .

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 3:37PM

Showman,.....As far as Climate Change is concerned? I'm A believer! At 5:30 this morning it was 60° here. Now, at 3:30 it's 105°.......Talk About Climate Change!?!?!?!?!

• Options

Here guys, enjoy and I'll see you tomorrow!

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Showman,.....As far as Climate Change is concerned? I'm A believer! At 5:30 this morning it was 60° here. Now, at 3:30 it's 105°.......Talk About Climate Change!?!?!?!?!

Yes, there is climate change, always has been and always will be, but you know what I'm talking about.

• Options

Oh, I'm a bit obtuse, I now get your joke. Thank you. I'll leave my last comment for the sake of posterity.

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Here guys, enjoy and I'll see you tomorrow!

Delivered as promised, thank you DD

• Options
    edited June 17, 2022 10:52AM

Joke if you will, but climate change is real. If people would actually take the time to watch the documentaries about it and read the studies, you could see. Scientists that have dedicated their life to the subject, but don't take their word for it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/climate.nasa.gov/scientific-consensus.amp

• Options

Well, here I am. Just went through processing and now settled in. My cell mate seems like an o.k. Bird......time will tell.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

@tommyrusty7 said:
    NO, people are sick if they go to those things!
    How would you like to be on the receiving end of those claws or whatever they use.

I concur

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2022 10:16AM

Just got back to the cell after my first chow.

Man, this is going to be a tough stretch.....

• Options

I've only been here for less than an hour and already there have been two escape attempts..... Something tells me the inmates want out of this joint......

• Options

Just asked my cellie why all the slips? He said it's because the C.O.'s are a bunch of jerks.....real Bugs.

• Options

@Hydrant said:
    Just asked my cellie why all the slips? He said it's because the C.O.'s are a bunch of jerks.....real Bugs.

Here, I can't stand to see you locked up.

• Options
    Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭✭✭

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.
  • Options
    edited June 17, 2022 12:46PM

The Lovely Mrs. Hydrant™ took this photo of me in front of my new home, the facility, just moments before my voluntary surrender.....

My suspicion is that she and all the Hydrant Girls are on a mega-shopping spree right now.....