Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I need help identifying a coin

EggLover21EggLover21 Posts: 3
edited June 12, 2022 12:34PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I need help getting information on this coin for a school project. Any kind of information or insight you have would be much appreciated. My dad said he bought the coin when he was a kid (~late 70s to early 80s) for 40$. It's an American one-cent piece from the year 1800 that says "Liberty" and "1800" on the front and "United States of America","One Cent", and "1/100" on the back. The front side seems to have the design of Lady Liberty and the back side has a wreath surrounding the "One Cent" text.
Pic 1: Front side

Pic 2: Back side

Pic 3: Case markings/writings (none of the back)

Comments

• Options
    SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Welcome 😁
    We need better pics, we might need it outside the 2x2.
    Thanks for sharing

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EggLover21 said:
    The front side seems to have the design of an indian

:o
    That's Lady Liberty.

Looks to be a large cent in worn but original condition.

Not sure much more can be ascertained without better pictures.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,363 ✭✭✭✭✭

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EggLover21

Do a search on:
    1800 Draped Bust Large Cent
    and see if it matches up.

The request for better pictures is to help determine if it is real / counterfeit, condition (the F on the 2x2 indicates what the previous seller was grading it 'Fine' or numerical '12' but that may or may not be correct), variety...

I did a search and here is one that came up but should find more. And if some large cent people find your thread should get much better references.

https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/5669/large-cents/draped-bust/1800-P/all-varieties/

pcgs page:

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1800-1c-bn/1449

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Go to your school or community library and see if they have the book shown below (doesn't matter if its an old edition). It should give you some basic info to get started. If your Dad was a collector, he may even have a copy.

There are specialized books on large cents as well as the history (very interesting subject) that go into a lot more detail. Do a little poking around and come back with some detailed questions. Your initial question is too vague and would require somebody typing in a tremendous amount of information.

Another resource to start researching is the EAC (Early American Copper) group. They may have info on their website. Also check the ANA (www.money.org). Any way you look at it, you're going to end up learning how to do a research project, which is a good thing. Best of luck.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 12:40PM

It is an 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent, but your photos do not allow for identification of the varieties such as, 1800/1878 or 1800/79 Better photos please and out of the 2 x 2. Watch the staples when removing.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    EggLover21EggLover21 Posts: 3
    edited June 11, 2022 12:53PM

Here are some better pictures of it out of the 2x2

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    It is an 1800 Draped Bust Large Cent, but your photos do not allow for identification of the varieties such as, 1800/1878 or 1800/79 Better photos please and out of the 2 x 2. Watch the staples when removing.
    Jim

Did you mean 1800/1798?

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

To answer TomB's question. The purpose of the project is less on the coins and more on the research process. In terms of historical significance, if you do have any information on that stuff, key terms to help point me in the right direction are ideal. I'll make sure to read the red book section I bet it'll be very helpful!

• Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,788 ✭✭✭✭✭

Two major points-

1) Read the relevant pages from the book we have pointed out to you. It is full of information that you can help. I cannot stress this enough.

2) Never hold a coin like an Oreo. Hold it by its edges (rim) without placing your fingers on the design elements.

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EggLover21

Do a search on 'Draped Bust Large Cent History' or similar. There are several links that show up.

The pcgs coinfacts page deals mainly with the coin itself
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/category/draped-bust-cent-1796-1807/660

This one writes a little more on history.
    https://coinsite.com/1796-1807-cent-draped-bust/

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I really like your coin :)
    Thanks for sharing

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@jesbroken said:
    Jim

Did you mean 1800/1798?

Oh my goodness, fat finger mistake again. Maybe I'll blame it on autocorrect. lol
    Yes, the 1800/1878. Thanks Perry.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

Nice photos. Yours is the normal 1800 and not either of the overdates. Very nice coin, your Dad had good taste. If you should need any information regarding this coin that is not readily available to you, pm me and I'll be glad to help.
    Jim

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EggLover21 said:
    To answer TomB's question. The purpose of the project is less on the coins and more on the research process. In terms of historical significance, if you do have any information on that stuff, key terms to help point me in the right direction are ideal. I'll make sure to read the red book section I bet it'll be very helpful!

Frankly, you could create one heck of a school project based on that coin. The coin itself is just the springboard.

Use it to paint a picture of life in 1800. How much could that coin buy? How much work (wages) did that coin represent? Was that coin still in circulation in the 1830s (I assume it was) when there was an economic depression we coin collectors know as "Hard Times" when official coins were hoarded and private merchants issued Hard Times Tokens that looked like the large cents they replaced.

Coins of that era tended to circulate locally and some tradesmen counterstamped coins with their name to act as advertisements. Also in wide circulation in that era were Spanish silver coins from mints in various territories in Central and South America.

So much to research and discover with that coin as your starting point.

• Options

One thing to note EL21 about your coin is that it appears that verdigris may be forming on your obverse and a soak in Olive Oil for a month or so would help, sometimes 6 months if it is embedded and still may leave pitts. It will only get worse and ruin the coin.
    Jim

• Options
    2windy2fish2windy2fish Posts: 817 ✭✭✭✭✭

That coin has a really nice look to it! I think you have received a lot of pertinent information to your questions…. please feel free to reach out to the forum anytime and we will all try to help you!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@EggLover21 .... Welcome aboard.... Nice old coin. The reference book above (Redbook) will give you lots of information on your coin. Good luck with your project. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,505 ✭✭✭✭✭

Finding a US coin made 222 years ago and used in commerce has to be uber cool. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

What grade level and level of detail are we talking about here?

• Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum. I am an egg lover as well. My hope is that you find this coin collecting hobby as something that appeals to you. For me it is a link to history, art, culture, and economics. As long as I have a few coins in my collection I'll never be broke. Have fun!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file