Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How exactly do you crack an encapsulated coin?

RondorRondor Posts: 116 ✭✭✭

Never done it and would like to know your techniques as I have 2 coins feel are worth a shot.

Comments

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 7:13AM

I just put on floor hit with hammer on edges, pry apart.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    SlickCoinsSlickCoins Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

I've seen them use a vice 🗜️ and it seems to be safest. Tons of videos of people doing it, in all different kinds of ways.
    JMO
    Thanks

• Options
    Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a nail cutter that opens enough to fit the slab. I then bite into the slab edge where the welds are on each side even were the coin is. normally the cracks meet and the bottom slides right off. I have hear many others talk about tapping the edges until they break the welds but have not tried that method. Just make sure you don't scratch the coin!

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do not do it often, but used a hand chisel and small hammer. Put the chisel blade on the seam, I place it up by the label, on the side, while holding it on edge on a bench. Then tap it firmly, usually takes a few taps. Once the split starts, just move the blade down the seam and it will quickly open the full seam. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

easy

• Options
    PapiNEPapiNE Posts: 283 ✭✭✭

Did a few last week. 4lb sledge and place slab on its long edge on a workbench. The weight of the hammer is often enough to crack it open. Wear safety glasses.

USAF veteran 1984-2005

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭

Depends on the holder, including generation. Whatever method being used, if it does not involve protecting the eyes or being in complete control of the coin, it is not a correct method.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 8:29AM

I wrap the slab in a hand towel and hold it edge down on a concrete floor and tap gently with a hammer. Wear safety glasses. Wrapping with the towel generally contains the pieces and provides a soft surface just in case. Whatever you do, take it slow. There are YouTube videos showing various techniques - I recommend watching a few.

• Options
    Herb_THerb_T Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use my mill…..

https://youtu.be/s5dLi1L-VN4

• Options
    edited June 11, 2022 9:39AM

Wow...some amazing comments here. They are PL's so the surfaces are tender like elk backstraps and must be handled with care lol ;)

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

You could leave them encapsulated and submit them for reconsideration/crossover. Less risk of damaging the coin.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 6,024 ✭✭✭✭✭

No hitting with anything in my opinion. Turn, tighten repeat, Turn, tighten, repeat. Very slowly...

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 10:35AM

On the yellow label ANACS, you are doing overkill by putting it into a vice. All you need is a large flat head screw driver Put the head of the screw driver in the side grove and twist. The plastic top will easily separate and pop off. The large screw driver method only works on the yellow label ANACS.

I use the hammer method on NGC and PCGS, but you have to be patient on taping the edges as a strong hammer blow can explode the plastic and possible damage the coin. With the hammer method the NGC holder is easier to crack open than the PCGS holder.

• Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,079 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 11, 2022 10:44AM

@Batman23 said:
    I have a nail cutter that opens enough to fit the slab. I then bite into the slab edge where the welds are on each side even were the coin is. normally the cracks meet and the bottom slides right off. I have hear many others talk about tapping the edges until they break the welds but have not tried that method. Just make sure you don't scratch the coin!

I use this method too, with the long handle end cutters (my wife calls them hoof trimmers). once I have the pliers in position to make the cut I lay a towel over the whole thing to contain flying plastic shards (they spray at high velocity!) and wear safety glasses.

• Options

@slider23 said:
    On the yellow label ANACS, you are doing overkill by putting it into a vice. All you need is a large flat head screw driver Put the head of the screw driver in the side grove and twist. The plastic top will easily separate and pop off. The large screw driver method only works on the yellow label ANACS.

I'll try that, thanks!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,855 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use a hammer. Just that simple.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@slider23 said:

I'll try that, thanks!

I wish that I had a vice as it would make opening a PCGS holder much easier.

• Options

@slider23 said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@slider23 said:

I'll try that, thanks!

I wish that I had a vice as it would make opening a PCGS holder much easier.

There was a video here somewhere, or maybe another forum of a guy putting a slabbed coin in between the 2x6 boards of his deck and used his foot to break it open!! 😂 🤣 .....and it worked!!

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

I cut the slab in half with a Dremel and then slide the insert and coin out safely.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

If hammer I put the slab in a sandwich bag and seal. This keeps all the plastic in the bag. Of course the bag gets chewed up during the hammering.
    PCGS place the slab inside a large freezer type bag (but keep end open) and then do the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLba217YM2I

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,581 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like others said, a few raps with a hammer around the perimeter of the holder then it should fold open like a book.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,424 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Goldbully said:
    Easiest and safest way in my opinion.

Exactly, done so many times and never a problem, plus the label remains in the top portion for storage.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use an edge nipper like BAJJERFAN. A nip at 3 and or 6'oclock usually gets the job done on all slabs except for SEGS.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

while there are some crafty people as members of this forum, after giving this some serious thought, i have devised a plan i think is win/win for pcgs and it's customers.

they just need to NOT sonically seal any of the coins they send back to us. if we disagree with the grade, we can just send the coins back out of the slab, with the cert(s) contained within and then they can regrade and put into the slab we sent back since it will just pop open with a predetermined protocol shown on a card they will start issuing for the simple procedure.

i do believe this will save an immense amount of money on supplies and labor and the savings can be passed along to us along with removing risk of damaging the coin(s) during the former crack-out methods. with an incentive program for meeting certain resubmission thresholds. the slabs and certs need to be contained in order to verify and qualify. essentially, it is like the former subway punch cards. for every xxx resubs, we get various incentives.

since the slabs aren't airtight anyway, (is anything?) there really is no problem there and since almost every coin is true viewed now, anyone can check the cert against the image. perhaps there is still a place for sniffer in every day use to molecurlary verify a coin when needed.

whadday think?

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    MarkW63MarkW63 Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭✭

I've used a dremel and cut the entire coin window out of one side of PCGS slabs, BUT! they were Lincoln Cents (small coins)

The NGC slabs I just gently clamp into a vise flat, and go around the edge seam with a hack saw until I get all the way around
    and I do the same with ANACS slabs.

Mark

"I Prefer Dangerous Freedom Over Peaceful Slavery"
    Thomas Jefferson!

• Options

I am fairly sure this thread helped me improve my slab destruction technique. B)

Thanks to all!

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rondor said:
    I am fairly sure this thread helped me improve my slab destruction technique. B)

Thanks to all!

i'm so happy to read this. i was holding a card up my sleeve to see where this went first but if this thread DIDN'T get you where you needed to go, i was going to suggest looking through the other 9,999 threads in the archives on this subject with some VERY interesting and diverse results, most of which seem to take place in garages!

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,374 ✭✭✭✭✭

I once used the hinge side of a door in a hotel where I was staying when attending a major coin show. I slowly closed the door as I could hear the holder cracking. Goal was to submit a raw coin for grading at the show.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 347 ✭✭✭

I just grab the slab with both hands and twist until it breaks.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've done a vise. I've done a hammer. The easiest for me is to use vise grips and channellock pliers and just twist/bend it until it cracks.

ANACS is easiest and ICG is the hardest. NGC and PCGS are somewhere in the middle.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited June 13, 2022 5:26PM

What's in a name?
    I flip this antique door stop (my mini anvil) upside down for NGC. On the ribbed sides of those holders I take a hammer and go around and give a tap (not slam) near the corners. Eventually the front separates from the back side and can easily be pulled away and the coins have come out intact and unharmed in the white gasket. The current ANACS is the easiest and can be done by twisting a flathead screwdriver at the bottom and between the sides. ICG I think is the hardest. Those are tough! Never tried on a PCGS.
    SAFETY FIRST. WEAR EYE PROTECTION!

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    mtn_scoutmtn_scout Posts: 98 ✭✭✭

NGC and first get ANACS can be done with a hammer going around the edge. PCGS use edge clippers and go around the lip. There are a lot of YouTube videos out there showing what to do (how I learned).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file