Home Sports Talk
Options

What is up with Mike Trout?

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭✭

He started out on fire, then I checked his stats last night and he has gone cold.

Ice Cold.

He hasnt gotten a hit in his last 7 games and only walked twice.

In his last 15 games he has 2 HR, 4 BB, 21K and is slashing .175/.254/.333

Last 30 games: .243/.323/.486

I have not watched an angels game this season. Is he playing hurt? this seems an extremely prolonged time for a slump, especially for trout.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ups and downs are part of hitting in baseball....always have and always will.

However, have you checked out the league percentages and how they have taken a noticeable dip? Trout isn't the only one. Vlad dropping quickly too. Judge is on fire but he won't hold his 201 OPS+ His slump will come too like it came to Rizzo.

Trout is still 7th in OPS.

I think they are using the humidor a little too much for the baseballs.

There will come a time when Trout can no longer keep up elite hitting pace. I don't think we are there yet.

HIs 172 OPS+ is just off his career of 176.

Taylor Ward has been hitting like Ted Williams on steroids all year and he is coming back down, and will continue to come back down(and now injured).

Trout is healthy though and playing a full season so far. If not, then he is playing through it.

• Options

Angels are still third in the league in runs scored. Their pitching is awful again. They are destined to be a .500ish team unless their pitching is addressed....or maybe if Rendon actually starts earning his salary and they can be first or second in runs scored and that would help a few wins too.

• Options

It looked like at the beginning of the season we would get to finally see trout in the playoffs. the 11-game losing streak has really hurt those odds.

• Options

Yeah, the only way for that to happen was for Trout to maintain a 220 OPS+ all year, and Taylor Ward somehow be Ted Williams. Neither are realistic to maintain and the rest of the lineup is lacking.

Ohtani was not likely to repeat his offense of last year.

If they can get their pitching to be average then they have a shot still.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 6, 2022 8:56AM

The Angels have been criticized for not putting the right players around Trout to maximize his greatness in order to see everything come into fruition (perennial post season play).

With that, Trout has been criticized for being too passive, and for not demanding that the organization put the pieces together. He's been criticized for not demanding that his personal success collides with team success. Meaning that he is satisfied and complacent.

Edited to add: I'm not necessarily saying that these accusations are true, but just that they exist.

• Options
    1951WheatiesPremium1951WheatiesPremium Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is (mostly) part of a baseball schedule. The Angels were healthy and playing well against teams that are terrible or were struggling. The Angels ten game losing streak is against Toronto (4), the Yankees (3) and a Phillies team (3) that was underachieving all year and literally just fired their manager.

Neither Boston nor the Mets, at this exact moment, are pitching all that well so I think a hot streak probably starts tonight and runs for the next few weeks, especially with the Angels being home and having all their games exclusively on the West coast until July.

Curious about the rare, mysterious and beautiful 1951 Wheaties Premium Photos?

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    The Angels have been criticized for not putting the right players around Trout to maximize his greatness in order to see everything come into fruition (perennial post season play).

With that, Trout has been criticized for being too passive, and for not demanding that the organization put the pieces together. He's been criticized for not demanding that his personal success collides with team success. Meaning that he is satisfied and complacent.

Edited to add: I'm not necessarily saying that these accusations are true, but just that they exist.

That is part of false narrative being put around to try and discredit Trout because those same people don't understand why Trout is so good (mainly with the measurements being used) so they have to pick away at something.

It still may be true that Trout hasn't pressured the organization to do more and didn't pout, demand to be traded, etc to get some help. That isn't his job, nor would that even work

They did try in earnest to add pieces, but they made bad signings. They gave Pujols a monumental contract, but it turned out to be a horrible signing and handcuffed them for years.

Pujols was a MAJOR dissappointment, except some fans were fooled to think that Pujols was actually doing great because he got 100 RBI some of those years. Again, lack of understanding of baseball. These are the same fans who love RBI but then rip on Trout for walking and getting on base so frequently AND SCORING RUNS, that they forget that Pujols got those RBI because he had guys like Trout doing their job at an elite level. Some severe irony there.

Then they signed Justin Upton to another horrible contract and got a league average hitter out of it. NO need to expound. They paid him a lot of money to be a league average player.

Rendon was the next awful signing. Here is another level of irony. They signed him because he was a post season 'hero' the year before. Live and learn. They (like many of these same fans) bought into the myth of post season player, the guy that can supposedly raise his level of play because it is October. These people must think Rendon is stupid, because why hasn't he tapped into that mythical ability to raise his level of current play and have a 1.200 OPS in the regular season so THEY CAN GET TO MORE POST SEASON GAMES and be a 'hero' again.

They bought Rendon's 2019 post season run where he got hot and had an OPS of 1.200+. But they didn't realize that they had an equal chance to get the 2014-2016 Rendon where he sucked in the post season.

Here this guy has a magical ability and he isn't using it in the regular season and is watching his team lose???? Major reason they failed because of a dumb premise.

So they did try and add pieces, but they made the type of signings of players based on the same bad and faulty theories of the fans who now rip on Trout.

Pure irony.

In Pujols case, they signed him because he was great and that wasn't a problem. It was the thinking that he was still doing great because he was being gifted RBI because an elite player like Trout was doing great in the lineup ahead of him, so they didn't rectify that problem. Other than that, it was just a risky signing due to his age and length of the deal.

Pujols had a decent first year with them but after his first year he gave them 4,692 plate appearances of a 103 OPS+ for a stiff firstbaseman/DH. THERE is your reason they have not done well.

The front office was fooled by the RBI total like many of the fans and they were too dumb to see how bad Pujols was actually hurting them because they were looking at the wrong things.

HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH TROUT DEMANDING PLAYERS. That is pure foolishness.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

In Pujols case, they signed him because he was great and that wasn't a problem. It was the thinking that he was still doing great because he was being gifted RBI because an elite player like Trout was doing great in the lineup ahead of him, so they didn't rectify that problem. Other than that, it was just a risky signing due to his age and length of the deal.

Pujols had a decent first year with them but after his first year he gave them 4,692 plate appearances of a 103 OPS+ for a stiff firstbaseman/DH. THERE is your reason they have not done well.

The front office was fooled by the RBI total like many of the fans and they were too dumb to see how bad Pujols was actually hurting them because they were looking at the wrong things.

I'll disagree about Pujols. He wasn't terrible until after 2016, I mean this wasn't a "Griffey to the Reds" scenario, but it was apparent even in 2012 that he wasn't worth anywhere near the contract he was signed to, that 2011 wasn't an aberration, but the start of a decline (albeit at a very high level, still). I think the Angels knew that Pujols wasn't anywhere near the player he had been with the Cardinals, but they had an untradable contract on their hands and it's very tempting to think that possibly the greatest first baseman of all time can give you something for the money you'd still have to pay him if you released him. So I don't think they trotted him out there every day because they were fooled by RBI, but because they didn't have clearly better options and couldn't afford to eat the contract and go after Freddie Freeman. For better or worse, they got four years of an above average first baseman, if not quite a good one, and then five years of one who ranged from bad to terrible. Not Alex Rodriguez, who was great when he left Seattle, but certainly not Griffey, either.

• Options

By the way, baseball can be very streaky. Heck, one year Jackie Bradley had a .835 OPS!

• Options
    countdouglascountdouglas Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very predictable. This was the beginning of a tough stretch of games, and the schedule remains brutal all the way to the All-Star break. Trouty does his best disappearing act when the pressure to perform increases. He's a guy that needs to stay on the $5 blackjack tables. Once they're well out of contention, you better believe he'll start raking again, and everyone will lose their minds over how great he's playing.

• Options

I'm appropriating this zinger from another message board:

Every fisherman knows that when a Trout returns home, it's to lay eggs!

• Options

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,279 ✭✭✭✭✭

Left game tonight. Groin issues.

Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options

at this point i am not surprised a bit about the injury. He has been very fragile the last number of seasons.

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭✭

It happens to a lot of these big money players. Look at Judge and Stanton for the Yankees but they all want big money to re-sign with their teams then they seem to get hurt.

• Options

Since my post on June 6th where I predicted he’d pick it up, he is 6/11 with 5 R, 3 HR and 5 RBI hitting .545.

I am sure he’s also been helped some by the return of another quality hitter in Anthony Rendon.

The dude can rake.

https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/987963/1951-wheaties-premium-photos-set-registry#latest

• Options

L

O

L

People see what they want to see.

I am not at all shocked that in the 9th inning of a potential no-hitter, Mr. Clutch got rung up on a called 3rd strike.

• Options
    edited June 16, 2022 8:33AM

@countdouglas said:

L

O

L

I am not at all shocked that in the 9th inning of a potential no-hitter, Mr. Clutch got rung up on a called 3rd strike.

I completely agree and the proof is all those people who can look at a guy who, objectively speaking, is one of the top 50 hitters to ever play baseball and think he somehow sucks.

ETA @countdouglas

I forgot that some of this stuff is more to do with ongoing board rivalries. Pay me no mind.

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium said:
    Since my post on June 6th where I predicted he’d pick it up, he is 6/11 with 5 R, 3 HR and 5 RBI hitting .545.

I am sure he’s also been hel> @countdouglas said:

L

O

L

Even after Brett's bad fielding gave up the lead, Brett STILL had a chance to be a hero. They were only down by one run heading into the bottom of the 9th. There was a man on first base and nobody out and George Brett came up for the biggest at bat of his career. Countdouglas has said it only counts when done in the biggest moment. World Series tied 2-2. Bottom of the 9th inning, man on first, down by one, so therefore represents George Brett's biggest at bat of his career.

In fact, by the expression on this fan's face, she was crying and praying for George Brett to come through. Many 'clutch' moments are often assigned AFTER the fact. Here we can see the anguish of the fans how big this clutch moment was BEFORE it unfolded.

Time for George to step up for the biggest at bat of his career. Countdouglas likes pitch by pitch accounts. Keep in mind that Brett had already given the lead away in the top half of the inning.

First pitch check swing called strike.

Second pitch Brett swings right through it.

How ironic that on the third pitch Brett gets caught looking. Now I know why Countdouglas is obsessed with Mike Trout getting caught looking in that mere first round divisional playoff game. It is because his hero lost his team the World Series(twice) by getting rung up on three pitches in the biggest at bat of his career and in the Royals franchise history to date.

Here he is walking bat after the biggest choke job in Royals history. Choking in the field in the top of the 9th and then compounding it by choking in the bottom of the 9th getting rung up, therefore rendering ALL of his 'lack of strikeouts' in his career pointless because he struck out when it mattered the absolute most in his career and that franchise's history to date.

• Options

Today, Mike Trout walks it off to end game 1 of the doubleheader…can’t wait for nightcap!

• Options

Since June 6..,

13/37, 9 R, 7 HR, 13 RBI, .351

Season line - 46 R, 20 HR, 41 RBI, .291

MASHING….

• Options

Today, Mike Trout walks it off to end game 1 of the doubleheader…can’t wait for nightcap!

According to some, that go ahead home run doesn't count because it didn't turn a deficit into a lead ;) lol

The go ahead home run in the other game didn't count either because it only happened in the third inning ;) lol

I'm still waiting for that 'clutch' player they bought to live up to his contract....Rendon. They bought him based on a hot streak in the 2019 playoffs thinking he was 'clutch' as a result. Rendon, we are still waiting for three years to show some 'clutch' play in the regular season SO YOU CAN GET TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Rendon, why aren't you tapping into that 1,200 OPS 'ability' that you supposedly possess and start using it in the regular season and start wining regular season games?

Because that ability doesn't exist. Its just a hot streak at an opportune time. That's baseball.

If it DOES exist, then see George Brett above and how he choked when it mattered most, rendering everything else he did as meaningless and causing anguish in the fans when he pissed the game away twice
    :).

• Options

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

According to some, that go ahead home run doesn't count because it didn't turn a deficit into a lead ;) lol

The go ahead home run in the other game didn't count either because it only happened in the third inning ;) lol

I'm still waiting for that 'clutch' player they bought to live up to his contract....Rendon. They bought him based on a hot streak in the 2019 playoffs thinking he was 'clutch' as a result. Rendon, we are still waiting for three years to show some 'clutch' play in the regular season SO YOU CAN GET TO THE PLAYOFFS.

Rendon, why aren't you tapping into that 1,200 OPS 'ability' that you supposedly possess and start using it in the regular season and start wining regular season games?

Because that ability doesn't exist. Its just a hot streak at an opportune time. That's baseball.

If it DOES exist, then see George Brett above and how he choked when it mattered most, rendering everything else he did as meaningless and causing anguish in the fans when he pissed the game away twice
    :).

I know that on some level there’s teasing going on…

…but Anthony Rendon being overpaid is the Angels fault, not his.

He was third in MVP voting (a regular season award) and had four straight solid seasons while playing really good defense at third, a position of need for the Angels…

…time will tell but this year is over…

• Options

@1951WheatiesPremium absolutely a lot of teasing :)

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭✭

Wondering how CountDouglas will spin the Mariners series where Trout's offense won 4 of the 5 games. Will we get another diatribe about how Trout will never hit 3 home runs in a game (he hit two 2-run HRs in a 4-1 victory Thursday night). Or that Trout only hit the game winning homer in the 10th inning of first half the Saturday doubleheader because the Mariners were more afraid of pitching to Ohtani? Will he dismiss the 7th inning home run Trout hit on Thursday as irrelevant since the Angels were up 2-0 at that point, in a game they ended up winning 4-1? Enquiring minds want to know.

The Mariners series shows what happens when a superstar is supported by good pitching, his team wins. The Angels never make the playoffs because the supporting cast around Trout under performs. I think Trout should have left and signed with the Yankees or Dodgers instead of re-upping for life with the Angels. The Angels just can't seem to get it right and absolutely squandered Trout's prime. Last year Ohtani was the unanimous MVP and yet the Angels didn't even have a winning record. One player, no matter how great, can't will a bad team to the playoffs in baseball. It is such a simple fact, it makes me wonder why so many people seem to be incapable of accepting it.

Robb

• Options

@fergie23 said:
    Wondering how CountDouglas will spin the Mariners series where Trout's offense won 4 of the 5 games. Will we get another diatribe about how Trout will never hit 3 home runs in a game (he hit two 2-run HRs in a 4-1 victory Thursday night). Or that Trout only hit the game winning homer in the 10th inning of first half the Saturday doubleheader because the Mariners were more afraid of pitching to Ohtani? Will he dismiss the 7th inning home run Trout hit on Thursday as irrelevant since the Angels were up 2-0 at that point, in a game they ended up winning 4-1? Enquiring minds want to know.

The Mariners series shows what happens when a superstar is supported by good pitching, his team wins. The Angels never make the playoffs because the supporting cast around Trout under performs. I think Trout should have left and signed with the Yankees or Dodgers instead of re-upping for life with the Angels. The Angels just can't seem to get it right and absolutely squandered Trout's prime. Last year Ohtani was the unanimous MVP and yet the Angels didn't even have a winning record. One player, no matter how great, can't will a bad team to the playoffs in baseball. It is such a simple fact, it makes me wonder why so many people seem to be incapable of accepting it.

Robb

100% spot on!

He typically spins it like this, Trout will go 2-5 with a home run, but he will focus on the outs he made, specifically if he was caught looking(like George Brett in the World Series), and in his mind, that negates the positive because for some odd reason he does not realize that all hitters make more outs than they get hits.

He wants to go into an at bat by at bat analysis so he can discount the positive and highlight the negative, and in the end he will have MORE negatives to highlight because baseball hitters make more outs than hits, so in his mind if someone contends with his notions he 'thinks' he is making sense because he has MORE negatives to highlight than someone has positives. Forget the fact that one home run has far more positive worth than an out has negative worth...when it comes to Trout they become equal events lol.

Or, he will negate every home run Trout ever hit because Trout got caught looking to end the last game in a divisional playoff series....and ironically if Trout had hit a home run, then that home run would have been discounted anyway because it still would not have made a difference in the score.

The simple answer is that his method is either ignorance or bias. If not, then when we apply his same methods to other players, then you get similar extremely uniformed and whacky analysis and results. that he produces when examining Trout.

About the only thing he brings up in regard to Trout that has merit is Trout's value on defense and his positional bump he gets in stats such as WAR. That, and Trout's inability to stay healthy the last few years. Although, somehow he holds the shortened Covid season against Trout and uses it to discount him in that 'volume method' that is just downright awful.

Keep in mind, that same 'volume method' he uses against Trout can also be used to make George Brett comparable to Dave Kingman(using the parameters that countdouglas put forth), lol.

Trout is STILL the most clutch hitter of his generation ;)

• Options

Taylor Ward after 36 games and 151 plate appearances had a slash line of .344/.457/.672 with a 162 per game average of 135 runs scored, 45 home runs, and 117 RBI.

These are the kind of streaks hitters go on all the time in both the regular season AND post season. You will see guys like Lenny Dykstra have ridiculous post season hitting numbers far out reaching his regular season numbers.. You also see the opposite with slumps.

There are guys that even maintain a ridiculous hot streak for an entire season only to come back to earth and revert to their norm the following years.

There is a lot of luck/chance in baseball hitting, in addition to the measurable skill, and that should go without saying.

Since that streak, Ward has gone .225/.269/.306 and overall is creeping toward his career totals prior to this year of .230/.305/.388. He will most likely finish with his best year because he had a tremendous hot streak and if he really starts to slump for a prolonged time then he probably won't get a chance to play enough to really let his percentages sink to his true ability. There is a possibility he did get better this year too as he is still only 28....but he did NOT get Ted Williams better as his early season hot streak suggested.

Where am I going with this? There is so much there, but,

1)Don't trust the small sample sizes in both regular season and post season. When a player has 5,000 at bats of work to make assessments with, then using 150 at bats(regular season or post season) to make a judgement is just foolish. Remember, the regular season is really the first round of the post season. A streak like Taylor Ward had does happen in October. Afterall, Buddy Biancalana outshined George Brett in the 1985 World Series and Biancalana even got an appearance on Letterman for it. He was out of baseball two years later.

2)The story. If this wasn't Taylor Ward, whom nobody has ever heard of, then there would be stories and theories applied to both his hot streaks and cold streak, like is done with his superior teammates. Why? The story. There has to be a drama created for fans to become more engaged. It is too boring to just say what I am saying in this thread. It is far more dramatic to label hero or choker....as media has a way of hooking people in with that stuff and not just with sports.

• Options
    edited June 27, 2022 6:35AM

Mike Trout is still the best player in baseball THIS season, not just of this generation.

2022 MLB OPS+ leaders
    Alvarez 198
    Goldschmidt 198
    Trout 195

A DH and 1B just barely ahead of Trout for offense so Trout edges them with his ability to man CF

Trout also leads all of MLB in Win Probability Added for those who need their 'clutch' fix.

PS: Goldschmidt will come down by season's end. He is way above his ability right now.

• Options

• Options

They're playing the Astros. No one that has read any of my previous analysis should be shocked that Mr. Clutch is nowhere to be found.

• Options

I filled out a recent MLB.TV fan survey. Hope they take my suggestion into consideration.

• Options

@countdouglas said:
    I filled out a recent MLB.TV fan survey. Hope they take my suggestion into consideration.

Considering he has the highest MLB OPS in that scenario from 2011-2022....yeah, I don't think they will take it seriously. BUT, if you are concerned about clutch and striking out in the biggest moments, and making errors in the biggest moments, your friend George Brett fits your description:

Even after Brett's bad fielding gave up the lead, Brett STILL had a chance to be a hero. They were only down by one run heading into the bottom of the 9th. There was a man on first base and nobody out and George Brett came up for the biggest at bat of his career. Countdouglas has said it only counts when done in the biggest moment. World Series tied 2-2. Bottom of the 9th inning, man on first, down by one, so therefore represents George Brett's biggest at bat of his career.

In fact, by the expression on this fan's face, she was crying and praying for George Brett to come through. Many 'clutch' moments are often assigned AFTER the fact. Here we can see the anguish of the fans how big this clutch moment was BEFORE it unfolded.

Time for George to step up for the biggest at bat of his career. Countdouglas likes pitch by pitch accounts. Keep in mind that Brett had already given the lead away in the top half of the inning.

How ironic that on the third pitch Brett gets caught looking. Now I know why Countdouglas is obsessed with Mike Trout getting caught looking in that mere first round divisional playoff game. It is because his hero lost his team the World Series(twice) by getting rung up on three pitches in the biggest at bat of his career and in the Royals franchise history to date.

Here he is walking bat after the biggest choke job in Royals history. Choking in the field in the top of the 9th and then compounding it by choking in the bottom of the 9th getting rung up, therefore rendering ALL of his 'lack of strikeouts' in his career pointless because he struck out when it mattered the absolute most in his career and that franchise's history to date.

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Choke all you want George, you were the reason the Royals went to all those post season playoffs
    back in the late seventies and eighties. Someone post the Royals winning percentage with Brett in the lineup
    and Brett out of the lineup and you'll see what I mean.

Now replace Trout with a league average player and the Angels
    never get to the postseason, same as with Trout in the lineup.
    Trout is the most unspectacular superstar the game has ever seen.

I have a feeling Trout doesn't even want to go to the playoffs knowing he completely crumpled under
    pressure from the one solitary time he was in the playoffs. Who destroyed the Angels and him?
    A no name Royals team who had zero star players but who actually believed in each other and their
    ability unlike Trout and his teammates.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

Brett postseason games played- 43 with a .337 batting average.
    Trout postseason games played- 3 with a .083 batting average. :p

Trout's only lament about his postseason performance is he only managed to draw 3 walks
    in those 3 games. He hated having to actually swing at pitches to try to get on base.
    If he had drawn 7 or 8 walks in those three games swell robinson and dallas would
    be telling us all how it was the greatest postseason performance in history.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options
    edited July 3, 2022 6:15PM

So the Angels are 37-44 after today.
    Texas is just ahead of them in the standings.
    I can't name one player on the Texas Rangers.
    The Angels supposedly have the two greatest players in the game today.
    ****Can't the two greatest players at least propel the Angels ahead of the Rangers even
    if they don't get much help from their teammates, especially since one of them pitches and hits?****
    Something just doesn't compute here. No leadership ability at all from the Angels best players.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

i have noticed trout has been extremely streaky this season. he was extremely hot for a week or 2 last month and has cooled way down the last few weeks. only 6 - 26 in his last 10 games. seemingly not very consistent. i don't know if that is his trend throughout his career or just this year? i have noticed his OBP is significantly lower this season. as well as batting average.

normally a player keeps his power as he ages, it is plate discipline that goes first. OBP and AVE goes first. i would think that trouts age 30/31 season would be too early to be seeing an age decline yet.

• Options

Based on Countdouglas nethods, Brett gave away 1976 and 1977 post season away with his defense. He gave 1981 away with no hitting. He gave away 1984 with no hitting. He was a non factor in 1985 as Buddy Bianacalana was the guy who outshined him and went to Letterman, and Saberhagen and others carried him. And of course:

• Options
    edited July 4, 2022 8:30AM

@Darin said:
    So the Angels are 37-44 after today.
    Texas is just ahead of them in the standings.
    I can't name one player on the Texas Rangers.
    The Angels supposedly have the two greatest players in the game today.
    ****Can't the two greatest players at least propel the Angels ahead of the Rangers even
    if they don't get much help from their teammates, especially since one of them pitches and hits?****
    Something just doesn't compute here. No leadership ability at all from the Angels best players.

Baseball teams don't automatically become contenders with the absolute best or even the absolute two best. It isn't like basketball, and this should be known if anyone actually follows MLB.

The Rangers are 6th in the AL in runs scored. The Rangers are 7th in the AL in runs allowed.
    The Angels are 7th in the AL in runs scored. The Angels are 8th in the AL in runs allowed.

I would say that adds up about as perfectly as there is.

That isn't to say the Angels aren't under performing this year a hair though by a few games. Pin the leadership on Trout if you wish. They fired Maddon too...But it seems they signed Rendon(and Maddon too for that matter) for his post season MOJO lolololo...I guess the tooth fairy has been busy the last couple years and could not sprinkle his 'post season' myth ability back onto Rendon so he can use it to GET to the post season.

I do give Rendon an A+ for coming out to that brawl with his cast on. Looked like a WWEE melee.

Wait! Brett just finished the biggest at bat of his career:

Yikes, her reaction says it all.

I really apologize to the George Brett fans that still possess rational thought as I believe Brett to be amazing. Or to any other baseball fans reading that admire Brett's play. The Countdouglas method comes up with a lot of crazy and inaccurate results.

• Options

Darin, the bigger question should be is HOW in the heck do the Angels manage to have the 7th most runs scored in the league with the production from the following positions:

Catcher .204/.299/.318
    First base .245/.287/.405
    Second Base .229/.282/.324
    Shortstop .181/.218/.289
    Third Base .234/.319/.356
    Left Field .204/.256/.318

Pause....so the readers know, that last number is Slugging Percentage in case the ridiculously low number was throwing you off.

Putrid.

Ohtani isn't having an MVP type hittng year at all. A 139 OPS+ is quite good but not near MVP level.

Why are they 7th still with those putrid results?

Because Trout is second in the league in OPS+ at 178, behind only a DH. With his production coming from a centerfielder that is how they are still in the middle of the pack in runs scored despite those anemic BA/OB/SLG from everyone else not named Ohtani and Ward(and ward has only been a part time player so his percentages don't hold as much weight and are sinking fast themselves).

• Options

Craig, all power hitters have hot and cold streaks and sometimes very pronounced ones. I am not sure how this is surprising in any way?

Heck the non power hitters have streaks too.

Trout is second in the AL in OPS+ though. So yeah, I guess he is in decline since he usually holds a commanding first place lead.

His OB% is lower as you pointed out, even when accounting that league wide all the percentages are down compared to previous few years.

He isn't walking as much. Is that a first sign in decline plate judgement? Could be. He is slugging extremely high though. Hitting more home runs per game too. Maybe he did hear countdouglas suggestion to tell him to swing more and hit more home runs.

• Options

I'm sure this is great fun for people in the know, but to anyone who actually believes what these people are writing, it looks as though @countdougIas @Darin and @1948_Swell_Robinson know nothing about baseball.

George Brett was an all-time great. Mike Trout, barring a complete collapse, will be in the discussion as the best of all time. Anyone who doesn't understand that both of these are true understands nothing about baseball.

• Options

@daltex said:
    I'm sure this is great fun for people in the know, but to anyone who actually believes what these people are writing, it looks as though @countdougIas @Darin and @1948_Swell_Robinson know nothing about baseball.

George Brett was an all-time great. Mike Trout, barring a complete collapse, will be in the discussion as the best of all time. Anyone who doesn't understand that both of these are true understands nothing about baseball.

I just get tired of swellrobinson running down Brett when this is supposed to be a Trout thread.

As for Trout, I stand by my comment that he seems to be the most unspectacular superstar the
    game of baseball has ever known. What are some of the biggest at bats of his career? What are some of the best plays
    he has ever made? If you can answer these questions, no doubt they all came from regular season games because
    he's played 3 postseason games and was terrible in those games.
    Most of the greats you remember their postseason accomplishments............. Reggie, Brett, Mantle, Stargell, Clemente,
    even Schmidt.
    But with Trout there will be no postseason memories of glory, that thought is probably in his head and
    one of the reasons he is starting to decline at age 30.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

@daltex said:

Daltex, Im not sure you understand what I am writing and why, or have followed the Countdouglas method that is sweeping nation. It is the Countdouglas method that relegates George Brett as a choker and not all he is hyped to be. It is not ME saying that about Brett...it is the Countdouglas method that he uses.

I've made it clear in a couple posts above, right under the picture of the woman who is crying after Brett struck out, that Brett is amazing and I apologized to the Brett fans with ratioinal though for having to hear the Countdouglas method applied to Brett.

So if you want it straight from me, here it is AGAIN. Brett is an all time great. He is not a choker. He is not nearly as good as Schmidt, but he is great. The methods his biased fans use to prop him and discount others, is known as the countdouglas method.

Whenever the countdouglas method is used, I will continue to post and use it against Brett too. Daltex, if you still can't see that, then I'm not sure what you are not understanding?? Perhaps an even stronger command of baseball knowledge would be able to understand angle I am coming from ;).

I know she is still living in a state of depression after Brett choked in the BIGGEST at bat in the BIGGEST spot of his lifetime, right after he choked in the field in the top half of the ninth. Daltex, Can I leave this sentence uncited, or should cite "Countdouglas method" to alleviate the confusion you are having about all this?

• Options
    edited July 5, 2022 7:36AM

@Darin said:

@daltex said:

I just get tired of swellrobinson running down Brett when this is supposed to be a Trout thread.

As for Trout, I stand by my comment that he seems to be the most unspectacular superstar the
    game of baseball has ever known. What are some of the biggest at bats of his career? What are some of the best plays
    he has ever made? If you can answer these questions, no doubt they all came from regular season games because
    he's played 3 postseason games and was terrible in those games.
    Most of the greats you remember their postseason accomplishments............. Reggie, Brett, Mantle, Stargell, Clemente,
    even Schmidt.
    But with Trout there will be no postseason memories of glory, that thought is probably in his head and
    one of the reasons he is starting to decline at age 30.

Applying YOUR methods to Brett, where ONLY the biggest moments count and everything else relegated to zero sum nothing,....I will keep applying your same method to Brett.

Brett gave away 1976 and 1977 post season away with his defense. He gave 1981 away with no hitting. He gave away 1984 with no hitting. He was a non factor in 1985 as Buddy Bianacalana was the guy who outshined him and went to Letterman, and Saberhagen and others carried him. And of course:

Of coure, the biggie was that Brett choked and gave away the 1980 World Series:

• Options

Every year Brett played that the Royals made the playoffs, he was the main reason they were there.
    Trout and Ohtani together can't even propel the Angels past the Rangers in the standings.

Enough of your nonsense, even a child has the maturity to stop posting the same post.
    Will ignore your posts from now on like I should have all along.

Stupid list…. Mistlin

• Options

I have been a Brett fan for a very long time. over 35 years. it is no small potatoes if you are considered the 2nd or 3rd best 3rd baseman of all time.

• Options
    edited July 5, 2022 5:00PM

@Darin said:
    Every year Brett played that the Royals made the playoffs, he was the main reason they were there.
    Trout and Ohtani together can't even propel the Angels past the Rangers in the standings.

Enough of your nonsense, even a child has the maturity to stop posting the same post.
    Will ignore your posts from now on like I should have all along.

I am merely following the countdouglas method of posting the same picture of a player after he struck out in the playoffs...only the Brett one was 1000x worse as it happened in the pivotal game five of the World Series and in the bottom of the ninth, after he already pissed the lead away with bad fielding. That's why he laid there dejected in the field.

I will veer from your countdouglas method and post a different picture.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    I have been a Brett fan for a very long time. over 35 years. it is no small potatoes if you are considered the 2nd or 3rd best 3rd baseman of all time.

I agree.

I also agree that if you are considered in decline when you are STILL anywhere from the 1st-5th best player in the league....that is a pretty darn good decline as it must mean you were so far head and shoulders above everyone else in your prime that people now view you in decline ;)

• Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

Or even 4th.

But why are we picking on Trout, when Ted Williams - who played with two guys (Dropo and Stephens) who each drove in 144 runs (in the same year!) and HOFer Bobby Doerr (who drove in 120 in the same year!) - could only get his team to the postseason a single time (and not in the year all these runs were scoring). And when he did go, he hit .200 with no extra base hits. I mean, talk about overrated, nobody could possibly be more overrated than Williams. Clearly, if you're picking a left fielder for your all-time team, you're going to pick Gene Woodling. Woodling single-handedly carried the Yankees to five straight WS titles, and not a single teammate ever drove in 144 runs, let alone two in one year. In fact, not a single Yankee drove in even 100 runs in three of those five years. How do you overcome such a pathetic offense? You put Gene Woodling in LF and sit back and watch the magic happen. Can I get an "Amen"?

Anyone making the argument that Mike Trout is overrated because his team has only gone to the playoffs once is embarrassing themselves. That's not an opinion, that's a fact. I know the people doing it don't see it, so out of the kindness of my heart I'm letting you know. You. Are. Embarrassing. Yourselves. Stop, and nurse whatever tiny fragment of your dignity has managed to survive back to health by talking about football or whatever sport it is that you do understand.

You're welcome.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,419 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

He is top 10, probably not in top 5.

Certainly a great player and very deserving HOFer!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set