Tennessee repeals sales tax on gold and silver

derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

:)

<3

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

Comments

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! The 42nd state to do so. Is there a list of those 42 states somewhere?

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Progress..... I would like to see a complete list of those states as well... Hmmm ... Google is my friend... Will post a link if I find it. Cheers, RickO

• Options

The latest list had nine states that DO collect sales tax on gold and silver coins. The nine states that continue to tax gold and silver purchases include Vermont, New Jersey, Maine, Tennessee, Kentucky, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Mississippi and Hawaii. So, remove Tennessee and the remaining eight still tax gold/silver coin sales. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

New York should be included as a state that has sales tax on precious metals. New York does exempt sales tax if the sales is over $1,000- and the value of the metal is less than 140% for silver and 115% for gold. I am going by memory but there are other criteria besides what I wrote.
    Regardless, at todays premiums very hard to avoid sales tax especially for numismatics.

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    New York should be included as a state that has sales tax on precious metals. New York does exempt sales tax if the sales is over $1,000- and the value of the metal is less than 140% for silver and 115% for gold. I am going by memory but there are other criteria besides what I wrote.
    Regardless, at todays premiums very hard to avoid sales tax especially for numismatics.

I believe, the same holds true for Maryland

"Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

My state, North Carolina repealed the tax about 4 or 5 years ago... Coins, currency and bullion are exempt.

• Options
    PppPpp Posts: 468 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry I feel like venting.
    It’s very sad in this case there are several states that put their residents at a distinct disadvantage against people from other states.
    Example, because of ny state sales tax if I buy something on eBay (which i don’t do) or from a large on-line company like sd bullion I will pay approximately 9% more for the item than if I lived somewhere else. This extra amount takes some fun out of the hobby.

Note, dealers in New York can get a tax I’d number to avoid paying the sales tax when they buy, but then they charge sales tax when they resell to people like me.

someday it will be a non-issue for me because I am short for New York, unless many things change.
    🙂

• Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never a sales tax on gold / silver here in The Commonwealth. God Bless The Commonwealth! RGDS!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    meluaufeetmeluaufeet Posts: 751 ✭✭✭

Not holding my breath on Hawaii.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:
    Never a sales tax on gold / silver here in The Commonwealth. God Bless The Commonwealth! RGDS!

Which one? There are four states and two territories that are commonwealths.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    JWPJWP Posts: 17,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ricko said:
    The latest list had nine states that DO collect sales tax on gold and silver coins. The nine states that continue to tax gold and silver purchases include Vermont, New Jersey, Maine, Tennessee, Kentucky, Wisconsin, New Mexico, Mississippi and Hawaii. So, remove Tennessee and the remaining eight still tax gold/silver coin sales. Cheers, RickO

I recently bought 2 coin coins at a MS coin show and no sales tax was collective. I have been told that Ms does charge tax on coin purchases. Just sayin

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• Options

@JWP... MS is included on the list of those who DO charge sales tax.... That being said, dealers at coin shows could make their own decision. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,215 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Ppp said:
    Sorry I feel like venting.
    It’s very sad in this case there are several states that put their residents at a distinct disadvantage against people from other states.
    Example, because of ny state sales tax if I buy something on eBay (which i don’t do) or from a large on-line company like sd bullion I will pay approximately 9% more for the item than if I lived somewhere else. This extra amount takes some fun out of the hobby.

Move to a state that offers you the best tax advantages, some states have no income tax. People and businesses are fleeing NY and CA and moving to FL.

Note, dealers in New York can get a tax I’d number to avoid paying the sales tax when they buy, but then they charge sales tax when they resell to people like me.

They don't pay tax if they have a tax ID because they are reselling the product. Taxes are required on the retail end.
    🙂

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@blitzdude said:

Which one? There are four states and two territories that are commonwealths.

The original, Penn's Woods. RGDS!

• Options
    Mike59Mike59 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I’m in 1 of the states that still collect 7% sales tax on all PM. The worst part of the tax is when I have to pay it on USA legal tender. It’s like going into a bank cashing a check and paying Sales Tax on my withdrawal.

MIKE B.

• Options

@Mike59 said:
    I’m in 1 of the states that still collect 7% sales tax on all PM. The worst part of the tax is when I have to pay it on USA legal tender. It’s like going into a bank cashing a check and paying Sales Tax on my withdrawal.

I just bought a gold coin off the bay, tax free of course since I'm in The Commonwealth but there was a $5 shipping charge that they decided to tax me $0.30 cents. Now I could care less about 30 cents but how in hell is shipping taxable? Crazy world! RGDS!!

• Options
    taxmadtaxmad Posts: 960 ✭✭✭✭

@blitzdude said:

... how in hell is shipping taxable? Crazy world! RGDS!!

Curious - does the commonwealth tax food? If not, go to Amazon and find a food item - put it in your car and see if it charges you tax. Normally shipping goes as the sales goes, so that is either a quirk in your state laws - or a quirk in eBay's system.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,444 ✭✭✭✭✭

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

Curious - does the commonwealth tax food? If not, go to Amazon and find a food item - put it in your car and see if it charges you tax. Normally shipping goes as the sales goes, so that is either a quirk in your state laws - or a quirk in eBay's system.

Shipping is a service and many states tax services. That's why many small service providers will give you a discount for cash payments.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    edited June 5, 2022 11:13AM

@taxmad said:

@blitzdude said:

No tax on groceries in The Commonwealth however prepared food like at a restaurant or caterer is taxable. Tried the Chinazon thing for some beef stick / Jerky. No tax on the meat or the shipping. Looks like another feebay glitch. RGDS!

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good. It is right to put more of what belongs to the people back in their wallets.