Home U.S. Coin Forum

🌾Is she worth anything? 1938-D in great condition

SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭
edited May 30, 2022 2:34AM in U.S. Coin Forum

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Tagged:

Answers

• SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭

I'm gonna have it graded

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 33,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    I'm gonna have it graded

I wouldn't. That coin does not appear UNC from those pictures. But maybe you should send it in to get a professional opinion. A little tuition can help the learning curve.

• 291fifth291fifth Posts: 24,263 ✭✭✭✭✭

From the photos it looks cleaned. In any case, it is just a common coin that is not worth slabbing.

All glory is fleeting.
  • BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately the coin has been cleaned with many tiny marks. It’s not worth the grading fee.

Don’t feel badly. Given the cost of grading and shipping, many common coins are not “slab worthy” these days.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • MetroDMetroD Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 5:29AM

From the PCGS 'Price Guide' for a red coin:

Source

PCGS 'CoinFacts' webpage.

Edited to add ...

I should have provided some commentary to go along with the pricing data. So, here it is ...

I agree with the other members that have posted responses. Based on the images of the coin, grading would be a bad financial decision. This is the case as the cost would exceed the value of the coin. Just thought that 'seeing' some numbers, albeit not directly applicable, would be insightful.

• gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭✭✭

That cent would need to be stunning to be worth getting it graded. Its a nice coin for a folder or album, but just not worth getting certified. You could buy an MS 65 or 66 for probably $25 to $30. Much less than shipping and certification costs.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can’t tell anything about the condition of the coin from those photos. It could possibly be quite nice, but as others have said, it would need to grade out at MS67RD to justify the slabbing costs.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I will add one more vote for cleaned and not worth slabbing. Will look nice in an album. Cheers, RickO

• MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    I'm gonna have it graded

You WILL be disappointed.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is always harder to assess the surfaces of a coin when the photos are taken with the coin in a 2X2. The coin looks well struck, the O of one on the rev is fully formed, and the EPL of E PLURIBUS are complete but slightly soft. The obv has decent beard detail and no major hits, however, both the obv and rev show a significant number of mico ticks and nicks. Perhaps that is all on the 2X2 plastic window, perhaps not. Most appear to be on the coin as I read the photos, and those will have an impact on how the coin will grade.

If you want to send it in that is fine, it may be a good learning experience for you to see what a major TPG would grade a coin that you think is "in great condition".

Just for reference here is an MS67RD from coinfacts to compare with. Notice the lack of micro ticks on the coinfacts coin.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,707 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 9:06AM

Buy three raw examples for less than the grading for one:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/125328904838?

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • goldengolden Posts: 9,451 ✭✭✭✭✭

Save your money.

• giantsfan20giantsfan20 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 2:54PM

Why does everybody respond to this guy? Let him do his own research since he obviously does NOT do any on his own.

He just freeloads off of the good nature of people here knowing he will get a response.

Same goes for those repeatly asking is this Dd or such, why bother explaining it to them after a couple of times if they cannot or wont figure it out let them learn on their if they have any real interest.

@giantsfan20 said:
    Why does everybody respond to this guy? Let him do his own research since he obviously does NOT do any on his own.

He just freeloads off of the good nature of people here knowing he will get a response.

Same goes for those repeatly asking is this Dd or such, why bother explaining it to them after a couple of times if they cannot or wont figure it out let them learn on their if they have any real interest.

Because it takes 10 seconds to respond and communities are built upon good will.

• stevebensteveben Posts: 4,607 ✭✭✭✭✭

it's a good album filler.

• IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭✭✭

Good will works both ways. Certain new members are increasingly behaving as if we are slot machines rather than people - dump in enough face value coins and eventually, one of us will pay off. Some of us are getting tired of having our crank pulled.

• Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭
    edited May 30, 2022 4:35PM

Also doesn't look round (to me anyway). There appears to be a slight rim ding above the "UNUM" on the rev and to the left of "Liberty" on the obv.

Pocket Change Inspector

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Oldhoopster said:
    Just asking " what's it worth. It looks great" doesn't help you learn. It just looks like you want members to DO your research instead of verifying your research.

You must have missed the earlier thread where they agreed that is exactly what they want:

@SpecGotCoins said:
    I barely have time to do anything. I didn't expect any one to do my footwork or research. I was asking anyone who has the knowledge already and could see anything special right off the bat.

@IkesT said:
    Good will works both ways. Certain new members are increasingly behaving as if we are slot machines rather than people - dump in enough face value coins and eventually, one of us will pay off. Some of us are getting tired of having our crank pulled.

Just skip the threads.

• vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭

@everyone thank you

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cleaned coin, very unnatural color

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file