Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Which is the most suitable for a "Denominations" Type Set:

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've started a Box of 20 and the general theme is US Denomination coins from half cent through $20 DE. I've come up with 19 coins and would like opinions on these to fill the box...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Which is the most suitable for a "Denominations" Type Set:

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Reales (1790's)

The 8 reales was the basic value for the U.S. silver dollar.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

ALL OF THEM.

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1787 Fugio Cent (Federal Contract)

With Trade Dollar (chopped) a close 2nd.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fugio cent…..wouldn’t even consider the other two….

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd definitely say the Fugio Cent, good luck with whatever route you end up taking!

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade Dollar (Chopped?)

Trade dollars would have the best claim I think as a "US denomination".

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    8 Reales (1790's)

I think the trade dollar is most similar to a regular-issue denomination, which leaves the fugio or 8R. The fugio is closer to being a cent issued by the US government than the 8R is to a silver dollar, and historically I think the 8R is of more importance in terms of it being a long-term issue, where the fugio is effectively a one-year type coin.

Don’t get me wrong. I think they’re all great coins, but if you can only choose one for this set, that’s my logic. Ironically, it’s the 8R that I don’t have in my own collection, where I have a fugio and numerous trade dollars, mostly chopped.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

Trade dollar designed to facilitate overseas commerce. The Fugio is definitely my choice.

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options
    JoeLewisJoeLewis Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭✭

I only count 15 US denominations unless you’re doing the bullion coins, right?

• Options

@JoeLewis said:
    I only count 15 US denominations unless you’re doing the bullion coins, right?

Denom.

1 1/2 C
    2 1C (Large Cent)
    3 1C (Small Cent)
    4 2C
    5 3CN
    6 3CS
    7 5C
    8 H10C
    9 10C
    10 20C
    11 25C
    12 50C
    13 $1 (Silver)
    14 $1 (Gold)
    15 $2.50
    16 $3
    17 $5
    18 $10
    19 $20
    20 ?

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...

I say a $4 Stella.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options

@gumby1234 said:
    I say a $4 Stella.

Unobtainium... I actually want some hope of completing the set! Beautiful coin though...

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...

@lkenefic Understandable. I would say go with a Fugio then.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trade Dollar (Chopped?)

Chopped Trade Dollar has my vote. Significant coin and great history. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 11:21AM

Fugio Cent, which has recently been proven to be issued as a "Cent" in research articles in Penny-Wise and other publications. It is the first circulating coin issued under the authority of the US Congress (Confederation).

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been pondering both your threads. I just can't make up my mind. There just seems to be something buried in the back of my mind that would be a good suggestion. Of course if budget be damned it would be a stella!

• Options

Yeah, the $4 Stella is the "obvious" Denomination but I'd never have that much money into a single coin... in fact, all of my coins put together wouldn't be one Stella...

I suppose I'm justifying my exclusion of the $4 gold piece by rationalizing they were only made for two years and they never widely circulated like the other denominations. Also, they were Proof issues and I'm o ly collecting Business strikes for this set...

• Options

@lkenefic said:
    Yeah, the $4 Stella is the "obvious" Denomination but I'd never have that much money into a single coin... in fact, all of my coins put together wouldn't be one Stella...

I suppose I'm justifying my exclusion of the $4 gold piece by rationalizing they were only made for two years and they never widely circulated like the other denominations. Also, they were Proof issues and I'm o ly collecting Business strikes for this set...

I think there might be a few patterns that might fit your bill.

• Options
    Project NumismaticsProject Numismatics Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭

A few choices depending on your budget:
    Modern clad $1
    California fractional
    $50 Pan pac

• Options
    edited May 28, 2022 5:55PM

@J2035 said:
    A few choices depending on your budget:
    Modern clad $1
    California fractional
    $50 Pan pac

Pan Pac!!!!! :#
    Don't know why I didn't think about it because the $50 Union kept coming to mind! I think you nailed my thoughts!

• Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other...

Being a gold guy I would say a $50 Pan-PAC

• Options
    rip_frip_f Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭
    Trade Dollar (Chopped?)

If you are including multiple same denomination coins because of their composition, (3 cent) then you should certainly include a modern small dollar.

The Trade dollar is the most appropriate choice of your three offered, but why the requirement that it be chopped?
    (the chop meaning that it qualifies as the unique weight? )

• Options
    edited May 29, 2022 10:32AM

Patterns and Commemoratives didnt circulate as a part of every day commerce, so I'm less inclined to include them in this set. Not to mention... they're really expensive!! I suppose if money is no object... go for it!! I'd love to see someone post such a Box of 20.

For my more pedestrian tastes... and pocket book... I thought the Fugio Cent would be my "outer limit" budget-wise. Even then, it would likely be a problem coin. I specifically mentioned "Chop Mark" Trade Dollars since the mark is evidence of their intended use in commerce... just not US commerce. I also mentioned the 8 Reales since it was widely distributed and was the basis in value for the US Dollar. For those reasons, there's also an undeniable link to US history even though they weren't minted in this country.

The small denomination Dollar (SBA, Sac, Presidents) are circulating... at least in some vending machines... so, that could be an option. It also gives a modern link to an otherwise historic set.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file