Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What’s your opinion on coins with CHOPMARKS

Do you like them? Or consider them damaged?

Comments

• Options

@JBK said:
    Both. :p

Well said homie

• Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love em!!! In addition to the cool history behind them it's a great way to collect a series where every coin is truly unique.

• Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:
    They're post-mint damage, but they're marks from their intended use in commerce. They're similar to postmarks on stamps.

They're also a coupon for 60% off on late 1850s San Francisco mint coins.

1857-S WB3 "Blundered date"

Absolutely love that Seated Half! Wonderful example of 1857-S.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the history. Chopmarks were an indication of their intended use for commerce in Asian markets. I'm considering one for my box of 20 Denominations set...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    BarberianBarberian Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 10:32PM

@Omegaraptor said:

@Barberian said:
    They're post-mint damage, but they're marks from their intended use in commerce. They're similar to postmarks on stamps.

They're also a coupon for 60% off on late 1850s San Francisco mint coins.

1857-S WB3 "Blundered date"

Absolutely love that Seated Half! Wonderful example of 1857-S.

Thanks! It's one of my favorite purchases last year. I had just lost an eBay auction for a 57-S in P40 that closed at $1470 when I spotted this coin for $399. I like the circulated cameo look of this coin much better than the EF40, and it's a WB3 "blundered date" (R4), which is cool. To me, the chopmark tells a story and doesn't detract at all from the look of the coin.

3 rim nicks away from Good
  • Options

@Broadstruck said:
    IMHO they are post mint altered and shouldn't straight grade only details grade.

Is PCGS or NGC straight-grading chopmarked coins now?

• Options

@Barberian said:

@Broadstruck said:
    IMHO they are post mint altered and shouldn't straight grade only details grade.

The slabs I've been looking at indicate "Chop Marked" on the slab...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2022 7:17AM

@lkenefic said:

@Barberian said:

@Broadstruck said:

The slabs I've been looking at indicate "Chop Marked" on the slab...

Do they give the Sheldon numerical grade as well?

Yes! I found out the answer to my question.

• Options
    BroadstruckBroadstruck Posts: 30,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Broadstruck said:

I believe PCGS has been for about a decade... Not sure about NGC?

To Err Is Human.... To Collect Err's Is Just Too Much Darn Tootin Fun!
  • Options
    lermishlermish Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barberian said:

@Broadstruck said:

PCGS will ONLY straight grade Trade Dollars...all other coins are Details-Chopmarked.

NGC will Details grade all chopmarked coins including trade dollars.

• Options

• Options
    CommemDudeCommemDude Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I was a kid there were Coin World ads with chopmarked trade dollars selling for $18 each as they were considered "culls". I am unable to think of them as anything but damaged coins

Dr Mikey
    Commems and Early Type
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Broadstruck said:

Right!
    How about one better... just keep em raw.
    Garbage can full of cracked out chopmark
    Slabs 😅

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 9:19AM

I just plain don’t like them at all. I also consider them as post mint damaged and should not straight grade.
    JMHO

Edited to add- Why in the hell did the Chinese smack these coins with a punch or a hammer? Does that negate them from being used again? I don’t get it. Why didn’t they just throw them in the till like other moneys? Seems like a stupid way to receive coins.
    I am uneducated on these but I’ve never like trade dollars so there’s that.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the history behind these coins!

See my registry set, with a link below.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭✭✭

No go

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    OmegaraptorOmegaraptor Posts: 528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 10:25AM

@CommemDude said:
    When I was a kid there were Coin World ads with chopmarked trade dollars selling for $18 each as they were considered "culls". I am unable to think of them as anything but damaged coins

The hobby has certainly changed over time. Not too long ago counterstamped coins were considered damaged culls and thrown in junk boxes, now they are highly collected as exonumia and for their historical value and people pay hundreds for certain counterstamps. Contemporary counterfeits were junk box material if even sold at all for any price, now people pay hundreds (and in some cases even thousands) for certain ones. IMO a chopmark is very different from say, a gouge or a hole drilled through a coin. Not everyone has to agree with me though.

"You can't get just one gun." "You can't get just one tattoo." "You can't get just one 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent."

• Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 10:33AM

On Trade Dollars, chopmarks add character and historical interest, IMO. I’d actually pay a premium for an example with a small number of well-placed chops. I understand the opposing viewpoint though, which is totally legitimate.

Edit: I love your username @Lalo_Salamanca

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 5:21AM

I think they are an extremely interesting part of numismatic history. Like some have already mentioned, there are attractive and ugly examples of chop marks. I would rather have a Trade$ with chop marks as without as long as they did not cause too much damage. I do agree that they are post mint damage but am also happy that PCGS will numerically grade them as long as the coin has no other problems. Here is one of my favorite chop marked coins that I own.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does CAC sticker chopped Trades?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Does CAC sticker chopped Trades?

Yes if eye appealing and well graded

• Options
    goldengolden Posts: 9,072 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not for me.

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was at a major coin show many years ago and there was an exhibition of chop marked coins. One coin in the display was a Liberty $10 gold coin with about a half dozen really small chop marks. I never saw anything like that and I still remember it. B)

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,743 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:
    I was going to write a bunch of stuff, but @Crypto said it all already, quite well. I love the tangible connection to history and traceability. Lot more interesting than a coin sitting in a paper envelope in a drawer for 150 years, IMO. But I don't knock that sort of collecting. We all have different preferences.

I can report with confidence that over the past couple years, the interest and number of chopmarked coin collectors has grown a lot. Good for the hobby, bad for being able to buy them as cheap "damaged" coins.

>

I'm amazed by this 1870-CC Seated Liberty $ with chops. Thanks for sharing.

Trade $'s
  • Options
    CoinBlogCoinBlog Posts: 23 ✭✭

I personally don't collect chopmarks. If I understood certain chopmarks and their history or the history of the issuer, I'm sure I would appreciate them more. But for now, just at a glance, I would prefer coins without chopmarks.

CoinBlog.net

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Weiss gets it. 👍

• Options
    LeeBoneLeeBone Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought it would be cool to have one in my collection.
    Here is my example.

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

Classic forum post!
    In this case the chopmark base has presented some very thorough reports of the history of chopped coins, why they are being ever more eagerly sought out and have posted drool inducing and important examples..❤
    I guess I personally lost interest in pretty, mint state coins (and sets of such) quite awhile ago and now see that area of collecting as exceedingly dull.
    The history of coins is fascinating and individual coins with history of their own are the only ones that interest me anymore.
    I'm only guessing, but I think maybe with collectors that strongly oppose these kind of coins,it might be because it threatens the very ingrained notion of pursuing "premium quality" and the best of the best..?

Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that QDB at one point grew bored of his top shelf accumulation of PQ coins, sold them off to put together an amazing collection merchant counterstamped coins.
    Could be wrong about that though...🤔

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Interestingly, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that QDB at one point grew bored of his top shelf accumulation of PQ coins, sold them off to put together an amazing collection merchant counterstamped coins.

In one of his books, I believe that he stated he had a complete date set of chopmarked US Trade Dollars at one point as well.

• Options
    OriginalDanOriginalDan Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jayPem said:
    Classic forum post!
    In this case the chopmark base has presented some very thorough reports of the history of chopped coins, why they are being ever more eagerly sought out and have posted drool inducing and important examples..❤
    I guess I personally lost interest in pretty, mint state coins (and sets of such) quite awhile ago and now see that area of collecting as exceedingly dull.
    The history of coins is fascinating and individual coins with history of their own are the only ones that interest me anymore.
    I'm only guessing, but I think maybe with collectors that strongly oppose these kind of coins,it might be because it threatens the very ingrained notion of pursuing "premium quality" and the best of the best..?

I love this sentiment. Personally I've enjoyed tossing the concerns of plastic holders, perfect coins, "points" etc. Glad you're having fun with your coins @jayPem.

I will say that I still enjoy a nice gem trade dollar though. Just out of the business of spending my beach house money on coins.

• Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OriginalDan said:

@jayPem said:
    Classic forum post!

I love this sentiment. Personally I've enjoyed tossing the concerns of plastic holders, perfect coins, "points" etc. Glad you're having fun with your coins @jayPem.

I will say that I still enjoy a nice gem trade dollar though. Just out of the business of spending my beach house money on coins.

Kids aren’t getting any younger

• Options

Nice examples you guys posted

• Options
    ChopmarkedTradesChopmarkedTrades Posts: 499 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alpha33 said:
    Yesterdays' damaged coin, todays' new collectable.

It's all about what you're looking for in an antique. If you collected vintage music posters, some people would prefer to have a mint example that stayed in the printer's back room for 50 years, others would prefer the torn, stained, and dogeared one taken off the wall of Madison Square Garden from opening night of their favorite group's first American tour.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 27, 2022 6:53PM

@jayPem said:
    Classic forum post!

Not sure about the facts about how it started but QDB had a large collection of counter marked tokens that sold via Stack’s not too long ago. Picked up several lots in that sale.

I personally enjoy the history of chopped coins and counter stamped coins. Lots of interesting stories in the research.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like them. I occasionally get them on a hundred dollar bill.

Welcome to the board Lalo.....but.......you best watch out for Mike !

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find chop marked Trade Dollars interesting.... I did add one to my collection years ago and it is still a favorite of mine. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭

In one of his books, I believe that he stated he had a complete date set of chopmarked US Trade Dollars at one point as well.

I think it was in an interview for the Chop Mark News that QDB said that at one time he had put together a complete set of chopmarked Trade Dollars. He sold the collection at some point. I think it was referred to as the "New England Collection" if my memory is correct.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file