Home U.S. Coin Forum

1943D steel penny uncirculated.

ERingusERingus Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

I’ve never seen one graded MS 70 but think this may be worth having it graded. I found this in a coin bag from my local coin shop.

Comments

• jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭✭✭

AU, replated. No unc steel cent looks like that.

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

That thing looks like it has been poorly plated with something! It actually looks like someone spray painted it.

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,712 ✭✭✭✭✭

It is chrome or nickel plated, you would be wasting your money as no legit TPG would straight grade that coin.> @ERingus said:

I’ve never seen one graded MS 70 but think this may be worth having it graded. I found this in a coin bag from my local coin shop.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • silverbulsilverbul Posts: 139 ✭✭✭

Maybe replated, i could be wrong.

• ERingusERingus Posts: 128 ✭✭✭

It weighs 2.8-2.9. It looked really shiney but I have read several different things about production and types. I was hoping someone knew here.

• JBKJBK Posts: 14,637 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ERingus said:
    It weighs 2.8-2.9. It looked really shiney but I have read several different things about production and types. I was hoping someone knew here.

Shiny does not equate to high grade. That is no where near MS70.

That looks like a rusted steel cent that was plated (replated).

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

As others have said, the coin’s been plated. It’s worth roughly 10 cents.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2022 5:33PM

@ERingus said:

Beyond shiny, notice the uneven surface and the smoothed out details of the coin.

And even if it were not re-plated (it is!), that coin would not be anywhere near a 70. Look at all the marks in the field. I think you are paying too much attention to "shiny". "Shiny" is more often the result of something bad, not something good.

• MJDMJD Posts: 87 ✭✭✭

Mint state steel cents definitely aren’t that shiny, but have more of a satin appearance. Here’s an MS-67 example from my collection for comparison.

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ERingus... Do not feel bad. We all started with no coin knowledge. We all learn new things. Some of us have been learning for many, many years. We welcome new collectors. Have fun, it is a great hobby. Cheers, RickO

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,127 ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you purchase this cent. If so what did you pay? The lighting on the pictures is deceiving to me, IMO.

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sorry but a good learning experience.
    As the song goes "There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold".
    By Led Zeppelin
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file