Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Tips on getting half dollar boxes

NordlandSalmonNordlandSalmon Posts: 38 ✭✭
edited May 25, 2022 2:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I live in SLC and I haven't been able to order a box of half dollars since I started (about 3 months ago)
Any tips on getting them? I've tried through chase and keybank with no luck

Comments

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,050 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 25, 2022 2:23PM

You might want to make your thread title much more specific, to let readers know what you’re asking about.
    Edited to add: That’s much better.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get in the car and drive. Credit unions are sometimes better than big banks, especially if you have a longstanding account with them. If that doesn't work, you can just make the rounds and see who has a roll or two behind the desk. You might make an entire day of it.

If you look at it from their perspective, they don't have much incentive to order you in a bunch of coins only to get them back a few days later. Most tellers are probably tired of catering to the CRH crowd.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

better chance of finding silver by asking the bank clerk if she has any loose or rolled halves. Boxes for the most part are searched coins. Fresh halves from the teller till provide me more silver.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Some branches will order for you, some will not. I find the ones that will, the one's that will not is where I dump my coins.
    It helps to have at least 5 figures in the account. The ones that will order usually have a very active business traffic in coins.
    Cheers.

• Options
    In4apennyIn4apenny Posts: 298 ✭✭✭

Also when I do travel out of my area I will make a few stops to try my luck.

• Options
    KliaoKliao Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭✭✭

Instead of asking for a box see if the tellers have any rolls that you can buy. If you want them to order a box, let them see that you have sufficient funds in your account. Try a few different branches. Also keep in mind that ordering boxes cost the branch money and is not something they would do if you're not a valued customer.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,328 ✭✭✭✭✭

You could also try asking if you can buy whatever is in their coin counter.

Collector, occasional seller

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has anyone ever offered to pay the banks cost to order some coins?

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I used to CRH halves, I only asked for rolls they had on hand.... Of course, I did not have a lot of success either.... The tellers were always accommodating with rolls at or behind the counter. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

Yes. But most large banks won't charge you if you place an order for boxes of rolls, you just have to wait for them on their schedule of coin deliveries. As long as you have an account with them of course.
    They can still order boxes but are still limiting the number of rolls a private customer can pickup. Chase told me recently they can still get any coinage I'd like, the Credit Union of Denver can't even order most boxes and aren't even receiving all their regular orders of coins each week (got a friend who works there).

I'm not a frequent box orderer...but, my Chase will order anything available for me for free. One of my credit unions has a price sheet for ordering boxes if you don't have a business account. It's about $5 to $15 per to order full boxes of rolls.

Just ask if they charge for boxes, it's a pretty common question for various reasons.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,806 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the others. Hit ALL banks! Don't just try getting boxes. Ask for any and all halves in the bank. You obviously have to go in with cash in-hand. When/if they ask, how many you want?........you say "I'll Take Them All!" Most banks don't want them and want to get rid of them. And don't just hit banks you have accounts at. Like I said, ALL banks.

One of the first things you have to say: "I Will Not Return Them" You have to find a dump bank somewhere.

Remember; it's not what you say, it's how you say it. If you're lucky, some banks will order you boxes "without" having an account. If you find a bank that will help you, a dozen donuts will go a long way! Trust me, they will remember you and help you the next time. It's all about establishing a relationship.

If you hit some banks several months ago, that said no because you need a account. Go back today. There could very well be new tellers or managers there today that are now be willing to help you. It's happened to me more then once!

I'm doing the same thing you're doing but with dollars coins. I have dollar coins coming out of my butt!.....Why?... because no one wants them and they are easy to get. Boxes, random rolls and loose coins in tellers trays, etc..

If they ask, don't be afraid to tell the tellers what you're doing with the coins or what you're looking for. Many tellers have expressed an interest in what exactly I'm doing with them. Again, don't be afraid to tell them. You just might create a new collector.

I walked into a Navy Federal Credit Union about 8 months ago. They couldn't/wouldn't help me because I wasn't an account holder. I went back 2 months later. I had this young kid/teller guy, (I say kid, probably 30/35 years old 😂) he said; no problem, how many do you want? The guy gave me a box!! I couldn't believe it!! I've been getting a box a week ever since. Keeping my fingers crossed. 🤞 The donuts thing helped tremendously!

Taking it to another level..... this guy took a real interest in exactly what I was doing and what I was looking for. One day I brought in a slabbed speared eagle and the Cherrypicker's guide (the one with the estimate price guide), to show him. His eyes popped out of his head and he went slack jaw! Seeing his reaction was worth every second!!

I have several speared eagles. I put one in a 2x2 flip and marked/identified it. I put it in an envelope with a short note thanking him. He was so excited. He couldn't believe it! The other tellers came over to his work station to see. The entire Credit Union (including some customers) were looking at it. It's been easy sailing ever since.

Happy hunting!

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

I am fortunate to be able to order boxed coins from my credit union.
    I have been a long-time customer with Mucho Denario in my accounts.
    I use the coin star for my returns.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options

@WAYNEAS said:

How much does that cost you, if I may ask?

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    CoinHunter4CoinHunter4 Posts: 311 ✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@WAYNEAS said:

I believe coinstars charge like 11.4% unless of course you get a gift card instead of cash...

Young Numismatist. Over 20 successful transactions including happy BST transactions with @CoinHoarder, @Namvet69, @Bruce7789, @TeacherCollector, @JWP, @CuKevin, @CoinsExplorer, @greencopper, @PapiNE and @privatecoin

"Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing" -Benjamin Franklin

• Options

Thanks @CoinHunter4 !

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,347 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

@WAYNEAS said:

Normal cost is .017 per 1$.
    When I use the one at Stop&Shop
    I get a gift card to use on groceries at a cost of zero dollars to me.
    When I use the one in the lobby of the credit union which goes into my account, again at zero cost.
    I spread the coins around so it seems like I am only making small dumps.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

Start with a whole dollar box and give 50% of it away.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    edited May 26, 2022 10:43AM

@WAYNEAS said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@WAYNEAS said:

When I use the one in the lobby of the credit union which goes into my account, again at zero cost.
    Wayne

Thanks Wayne! I do the same thing at my CU. No fee. It spites out a receipt and I recycle it for cash.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,756 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 28, 2022 9:23AM

I have a bank and CU that have free coin counting for customers.

• Options

@OAKSTAR
    I went through Dollar coins recently and I was able to find some decent things. Have you been able to find any of the innovations series? I love those coins and I think they could be going up in value because of the low mintage.

• Options

@NordlandSalmon said:
    @OAKSTAR
    I went through Dollar coins recently and I was able to find some decent things. Have you been able to find any of the innovations series? I love those coins and I think they could be going up in value because of the low mintage.

What dollar coins are you looking for and what exactly are you finding?

Yes, I have found/seen many innovations series dollar coins but I throw them back. I can't afford to keep them.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

My one bank charges me 10 cents per roll. Which may seem like a lot but is only $5.00 per box or $4.00 per box for dollar coins. I am searching for the fun of it, so I have no problem paying them to get to do what I want. The other bank does not charge me anything and now I can get all I want, with the exception of quarters (these I can only get 1 box per week at this time).

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting topic. I have been hitting banks and credit unions like mad lately - with gas prices and grocery prices going up people are digging into stuff they have been hanging on to for awhile and turning it in to banks and credit unions. The economy going down the toilet bowl churns out goodies that get back to banks.

In the last week I have gotten 220 Ike dollars, mostly BU 1972 and 1972-D, 60 rolls of half dollars ie $600 face. The rolls were rather productive - the very last roll I opened was a veritable jackpot - there was only one clad half in the roll, a 1971 - the other 19 coins were all dated 1965-1969. Other rolls had more 40% and one had a 1964 90%. Also found a small error on a bicentennial half - a minor clip.

The teller that sold me the $600 asked me if I was bringing back the ones I didn't want. I haven't visited that branch in years and she didn't know me. My response was, "are you sure you want them back? I'm planning on sending the castoffs out of state and hopefully you'll never see them again" She thanked me, they do not like having to count these things in the vault especially when they sit there sometimes for months.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@SaorAlba said:
    Interesting topic. I have been hitting banks and credit unions like mad lately - with gas prices and grocery prices going up people are digging into stuff they have been hanging on to for awhile and turning it in to banks and credit unions. The economy going down the toilet bowl churns out goodies that get back to banks.

In the last week I have gotten 220 Ike dollars, mostly BU 1972 and 1972-D, 60 rolls of half dollars ie $600 face. The rolls were rather productive - the very last roll I opened was a veritable jackpot - there was only one clad half in the roll, a 1971 - the other 19 coins were all dated 1965-1969. Other rolls had more 40% and one had a 1964 90%. Also found a small error on a bicentennial half - a minor clip.

The teller that sold me the $600 asked me if I was bringing back the ones I didn't want. I haven't visited that branch in years and she didn't know me. My response was, "are you sure you want them back? I'm planning on sending the castoffs out of state and hopefully you'll never see them again" She thanked me, they do not like having to count these things in the vault especially when they sit there sometimes for months.

Exactly! You're in the groove my friend! 👍🏻

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@WAYNEAS said:

@OAKSTAR said:

@WAYNEAS said:

Wayne

Did you misplace a decimal point, or is your Coin Star a whole lot more generous than the ones around here?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

@OAKSTAR said:

If you find a bank that will help you, a dozen donuts will go a long way! Trust me, they will remember you and help you the next time. It's all about establishing a relationship.

Don't waste your money on a dozen donuts. Sane people do not accept unsealed food from total strangers. If they do they go in the trash the minute you walk out of the door.

Keep an open mind, or get financially repressed -Zoltan Pozsar

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have two banks that order boxes for me at no cost, and two dump banks with Coinstars, also free. No re-rolling and no fees.

• Options

@MarkKelley said:
    I have two banks that order boxes for me at no cost, and two dump banks with Coinstars, also free. No re-rolling and no fees.

You have the perfect situation!

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,865 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 12, 2022 1:16PM

I couldn't add anything else.
    All your answers are posted.
    Only 1 more
    Suggestion.
    Stay Persistent
    Good Luck

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file