Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grades received today. Update. Trueviews are posting.

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,736 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 23, 2022 3:07PM in U.S. Coin Forum

In February I delivered an 8 coin voucher submission to PCSG at the Long Beach show. The 8 coins are 1950 Proof half dollars that I acquired raw over many years.

The grades assigned to the 8 coins were posted today. With the exception of the coins graded PF62 and PF66, all grades given by PCGS are equal to or better than what I expected.

1 1 44883391 6691 1950 50C PR63 USA
2 1 44883392 6691 1950 50C PR62 USA
3 1 44883393 86691 1950 50C, CAM PR64CA USA
4 1 44883394 6691 1950 50C PR66 USA
5 1 44883395 6691 1950 50C PR64 USA
6 1 44883396 6691 1950 50C PR65 USA
7 1 44883397 6691 1950 50C PR64 USA
8 1 44883398 6691 1950 50C PR64 USA

True Views of the coins will eventually be available.

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations
    All Benjy's ,huh?
    Proof coins are gorgeous too.
    ;)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not bad, congrats on the CAM!

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SanctionII ... Excellent results.... High scores on some nice silver. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭✭

Nice! For an old bald dude, Frankie looks good in Cameo.

imageimage

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations. How did the grades fare comparatively to your expectations? I am the worst proof grader for silver and have akways struggled, especially with Franklins. I got my grade back in the same time period, but have been waiting, going in 6 weeks for the tv's. Rats! Good luck with the tv's, look forward to seeing them.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

I want to know what happened to all those proof sets?

MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options

The grades I assigned to the coins prior to submitting them were:

1950 PF HALF PF63
    1950 PF HALF PF65
    1950 PF HALF PF62CAM
    1950 PF HALF PF63
    1950 PF HALF PF63
    1950 PF HALF PF63
    1950 PF HALF PF63
    1950 PF HALF PF67

My list of grades do not track the list of coins from the PCSG order set forth above.

I thought the 62 would be a 63. I thought the 66 would be a 67. I thought the 64CAM would be a 62CAM. I correctly predicted a 63 and a 65. I thought the three coins graded 64 would all be a 63.

Overall I am pleased, though I had hoped for a 67 grade (that coin is of very high quality and is a candidate for a resubmission in the future).

As for the other coins in the proof sets containing the 8 half dollars, some of them are being graded, some of them have been sold off and some of them are just hanging out.

• Options
    CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations!

I'm curious though, you are a collector, yes? Do you enjoy having multiples of these coins of the same date with different grade levels or do you keep the best and sell the rest?

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • Options

Catbert.

I have collected mostly raw coins since getting back into the hobby as an adult in 1998. I am having some of these raw coins graded. I have started participating in some Registry Sets and will also be selling off duplicates (both slabbed and raw) in the coming months and years.

• Options
    ElKevvoElKevvo Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice results! Question for you regarding your submission...at what point were the grades posted? I have my Collectors Club 8 coin submission that was received 2/11 and am eagerly awaiting the posting of the grades. Right now they are in 'Encapsulation' where they have been for at least a couple of weeks. I am guessing the grades might be posted when they move to 'Quality Check'?

Of course mine could be taking longer due to the graders laughing at the submission! I had to dig around to find coins to submit this past year as I had not attended any shows or purchased any raw coins so some of the coins I sent in are suspect! I did not want my voucher to expire though...

K

ANA LM
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2022 3:28PM

ElKevvo.

My voucher submission was received on 2-22-2022. It was a "Regular" submission. It moved from Encapsulation to Quality Assurance last Thursday (if I recall correctly). This morning the order indicated the coins are still in QA but are being "Shipped" today. When I checked early this morning the grades finally appeared.

• Options
    logger7logger7 Posts: 8,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure they are giving collectors and other submitters the best grades they can under the circumstances. Generally I can figure out the reason behind a give grade.

• Options
    stawickstawick Posts: 469 ✭✭✭✭

@ElKevvo said:
    Nice results! Question for you regarding your submission...at what point were the grades posted? I have my Collectors Club 8 coin submission that was received 2/11 and am eagerly awaiting the posting of the grades. Right now they are in 'Encapsulation' where they have been for at least a couple of weeks. I am guessing the grades might be posted when they move to 'Quality Check'?

Of course mine could be taking longer due to the graders laughing at the submission! I had to dig around to find coins to submit this past year as I had not attended any shows or purchased any raw coins so some of the coins I sent in are suspect! I did not want my voucher to expire though...

K

I have 27 Modern Value / Gold Shield (quarterly special, 4 + 1 free) in since 2/9 (received). This month it progressed to being Imaged, Encap, and sitting in QA B) for a while. I now hope it wont be done til next week - I'll be outta town for a few days for the holiday. Its getting close, I can feel it. ;)
    Its my Morgan / Peace $s and latest 2021 ASE proofs. The Gold Shield TV images may be holding it up a bit tho, but the final pix arent typically available til a while after i see the grades and get the coins back.

• Options

Today I received the 8 proof half dollars back from PCGS.

Glad that they are home.

Later tonight I will spend some time, with a 10x loupe and good lighting, to get reacquainted with them. Even under florescent lighting in my office they all look pretty good, with positive eye appeal.

• Options
    ashelandasheland Posts: 22,695 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very nice! It's always like Christmas morning receiving the grades. :)

• Options

Looking closely at the 8 coins tonight I can see why the 62 and 63 received those grades. Too many hairlines that appear as you rotate the coins under good lighting.

For the 66 I cannot find any hairlines at all, nor any other flaws.

• Options

Attached is a Trueview photo of the PF66 half dollar. I really like the photo; and I really like the coin (I could see it one day upgrading to a PF67).

• Options
    bennybravobennybravo Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

And that is what an original 1950 half should look like.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options

Here is a photo of the PF64CAM. I thought it would possibly not grade due to disturbances on the reverse fields.

• Options

Here are photos of another 5 of the half dollars (for some reason the PF63 photo has not posted yet).

• Options

And finally the photo of the PF63.

• Options
    CameonutCameonut Posts: 7,260 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seeing a submission of 8 1950 proof halves is a pretty rare event in its own right. I won't comment on the numeric grades as that is tough to determine from photos.
    With respect to cameo/no cameo I would offer the following quick analysis.
    Cert x94 - nice proof - I wouldn't mind owning that myself
    Cert x94 - looks accurately graded to me - nice cameo
    Cert x95 - reverse too light for cam at PCGS
    Cert x92 - not much of a comment but I wonder why it is a 62
    Cert x97 - resubmission candidate at some point in the future. Might cam across the street.
    Cert x98 - reverse too light
    Cert x96 - obverse too light
    Cert x91 - resubmission candidate - might cam across the street.

As others have mentioned, it is hard to grade proof cameos from a single photo. Someday I'd love to see these in hand.

“In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." - Thomas Jefferson

My digital cameo album 1950-64 Cameos - take a look!

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭

As noted with these coins, 1950 Proof Half-Dollars are rarely found very nice in the still extant Proof Sets, they are almost always plagued with a number of problems. Over-used dies resulting in less than stellar fields, hairlines, abrasions and "milk spots" seem to dominate the coins that are left to be found. I've owned a few Half-Dollars but never found one I wanted to keep so I finally gave up. Noting the OP's admission that this represents coins "acquired raw over many years" I'm left to assume these were the best he could locate. That doesn't bode well for what's left. :s

Kevin, would you care to comment on the many coins you no doubt passed over and your assessment on 1950 Proof Sets in general??

• Options

7 of the 8 1950 half dollars all have positve attributes and negative attributes.

The PF66 coin is (to me) gorgeous. It has no hairlines, scratches, marks etc. The Trueview highlights the color of the coin.

In hand the appearance of this coin is more bland until, while rotating the coin under good lighting, the light explodes off the coin making the obverse shimmer.

It is a resubmission candidate.

The other 7 coins, in hand, have somewhat positive eye appeal (the Trueview photos show many flaws). Most have contrast between the fields and devices. Only one warranted a CAM designation. These 7 all have flaws which limit the grades.

The PF62 is an example of not being able to grade a proof from a photo. It looks nice in the Trueview but it has many hairlines which limit the grade to a 62.

These 8 coins represent the best quality raw1950 proof half dollars I have seen since returning to the hobby as an adult in 1998. Others I have seen and passed on were very flawed and unattractive.

I do have 1 more 1950 proof half at PCGS being graded, along with a run of 4 1953 half dollars. All 5 of these coins likely warrant a Cameo designation.

Yesterday I also received grades on a 53 coin submission of proof Walker, Franklin (excluding 1950) and 1964AH half dollars. Good results, including many Cameos, 1 DCAM, gorgeous toners and grades of 67 and 68.

I will post a separate thread on that submission.

Also, for raw 1950 proof sets in general, most are of low quality. However I have found some that have contained stunning, high grade cents, nickels and quarters. I submitted a number of these coins for grading and received multiple grades of PF66, PF67 and a Cameo designation on a cent.

For some reason the dimes in these sets have been very bland.

When Trueviews of these 1950 proof minors post I will create a new thread to show them off.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file