Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1916 Barber. Did I do good this time?

What's it worth?

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

Tagged:

Answers

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bullion value.

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 505 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 2:17PM

Hard to get a good judge of the grade with the dark toning, but I would say in the 5 dollar neighborhood.

• Options
    SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭

Fuuuuuuuuuuudge! Seriously? I suck!!!

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,354 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do yourself a favor and whatever type coin you are interested in, go to any auction house site or even ebay and look up past sales for whatever grade you wish to have and study them. Obviously, you should stay away from toned coins until you study and learn what causes toning and how it affects the different metals. We all wish you luck and you don't suck, yet. You will suck if you don't try to learn before you buy. JMO
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbbroken I looked online, the toning didn't seem to make a difference. The grade, as I compared to PCGS photograde system made it seem like a good purchase. $5? Seriously? Please tell me it's worth more

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    @jesbbroken I looked online, the toning didn't seem to make a difference. The grade, as I compared to PCGS photograde system made it seem like a good purchase. $5? Seriously? Please tell me it's worth more

$5 seems right to me. "Significantly under $10", in any case. I don't want argue whether it's worth $3 or $7 or whatever.

What did you figure the grade to be, and how did you come up with a value for that grade? Remember that this coin is heavily damaged, so the actual value would be significantly less than the "book value" for whatever grade you assign based on wear.

• Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like @jesbbroken said; you will suck if you don't listen!!

Not sure if completely understand your dilemma. If you see a coin you like, take a picture of it and post it here with questions, before you purchase it.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭✭✭

F-12 at best, and heavily tarnished. I'm in the $5 camp.

• Options

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options

@jonathanb I figured somewhere in the MS range

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options

Way better than F12 im certain. Not saying anything bad about your judgement. I'm just certain is all

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options

Ok. Here I am, asking again, since it was suggested I do so. What's it worth? Here's another dime, hopefully worth more than a dime lol

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,067 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    Way better than F12 im certain. Not saying anything bad about your judgement. I'm just certain is all

Upon what basis do you think it’s better than F12? If you researched it ahead of time and your opinion has validity, you should have solid backup for it.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@Mfeld the detail in the leaves is far more defined

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options

@SpecGotCoins said:
    @Mfeld the detail in the leaves is far more defined

That’s way too vague. Did you look up the characteristics/qualifications for various grades? If so, what, in particular, makes the coin better than F12?

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

SEGS is an iffy grading company. Many think they will put whatever grade you ask for on the label. I can assure you that that dime will never be a MS70 at PCGS or NGC. And I say that without even looking at the coin. SEGS is a no go for accurate grading. If it is a 70 at PCGS I'll pay your cost to get it graded.
    It's okay to be excited and think you have found a "keeper". That is how we all learned years and decades and generations ago. It's part of the process for sure. Keep at it but start investing in books of coin series that interest you. Many good authors with great pics and wonderful explanations. If you haven't purchased a Red Book of US coins, do so. It's cheap, tells all the basics you need on every US coin. Let that be your first cover to cover read. https://www.ebay.com/itm/112925791503?hash=item1a4ae6d50f:g:22kAAOSwSExiPIxZ
    bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUandAG said:
    SEGS is an iffy grading company. Many think they will put whatever grade you ask for on the label. I can assure you that that dime will never be a MS70 at PCGS or NGC. And I say that without even looking at the coin. SEGS is a no go for accurate grading. If it is a 70 at PCGS I'll pay your cost to get it graded.

Not a SEGS holder.

• Options

@MFeld one simply has to have good working eyes. Not to sound rude

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options

@AUandAG thanks ☺️. So, can I really send it in and have it graded? What if It isn't 70, how much will I be charged?

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    edited May 19, 2022 3:57PM

@SpecGotCoins said:

And yet, you previously posted that you thought the coin was MS. One needs to have knowledge about coins and grading, or those good working eyes aren’t of much use.

It seems that you think you know too much for me to be of any help, so best of luck to you.

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins

Just for your reference, I would make sure to be careful about criticizing who's eyes are looking at your coin, particularly when those eyes were hired to grade for one of the top two grading companies.

From what I see, F-12 seems fair, maybe F-15 if there were better pictures. And of course, details cleaned or artificially toned, take your pick. I'd take a look at the letters of LIBERTY on the crown on the obverse devices, at least that's what I used to make my determination based on the pictures.

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,092 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin could be VF details, but it doesn't charge the value much.

• Options
    jonathanbjonathanb Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    @AUandAG thanks ☺️. So, can I really send it in and have it graded? What if It isn't 70, how much will I be charged?

You can send anything you want in, and have it graded. For a modern coin like this one, you will pay $17, plus postage both ways, plus a minimum of $69 for a yearly membership fee that lets you submit coins in the first place. Figure $100+ in total for one coin, or as little as $25 each if you submit dozens at a time. See https://www.pcgs.com/servicesandfees

This coin isn't 70. It will still be worth $0.10 no matter how much you spend on the grading fees..

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have to be one of the strongest buyers of Mid-Grade Barbers in the country and I wouldn't pay melt value for that coin if I want to make anything on it.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I have to be one of the strongest buyers of Mid-Grade Barbers in the country and I wouldn't pay melt value for that coin if I want to make anything on it.

Oh,cmon. Even I could sell that coin for $5.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

I wouldn't! I'm not the dealer to sell problem coins to. But then again...I offer free shipping, 73c + supplies, ebay would get close enough to 50c, I drive everything to the PO...If I sold that coin and nothing else sold I would be in the red! How much is your time worth anyway?????

• Options

@amwldcoin said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@amwldcoin said:

I wouldn't! I'm not the dealer to sell problem coins to. But then again...I offer free shipping, 73c + supplies, ebay would get close enough to 50c, I drive everything to the PO...If I sold that coin and nothing else sold I would be in the red! How much is your time worth anyway?????

I pass the PO every day on my way to work.

My time is cheap as I only play with coins during "TV time".

• Options
    gumby1234gumby1234 Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins Books can teach you a lot. There are many books on grading coins available. Online there are places where you can compare photos of coins in certain grades to yours. Learning is the key to finding better coins, or you could buy certified examples from one of the top 3 or 4 grading services.

Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

• Options
    RelaxnRelaxn Posts: 882 ✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:

Mark has forgotten more about coins while taking his morning constitutional than many will ever know.
    Spec you would be wise to put some respect on his name!

Your self depreciation is only outdone by your arrogance.. both of which will leave broke.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Relaxn said:

Your self depreciation is only outdone by your arrogance.. both of which will leave broke.

Please don't hold back - tell us how you really feel. :D

But I can't say I disagree. ;)

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,555 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, you are right, it is not a SEGS, it's worse as its a SGS. Oh my.

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    OAKSTAROAKSTAR Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barndog said:
    is this a joke? Sadly, I really can't tell which "new-ish" collectors are serious and who is trolling. If OP is serious, he/she should stop buying and spend more time reading, researching, and just plain learning.

Disclaimer: I'm not a dealer, trader, grader, investor or professional numismatist. I'm just a hobbyist. (To protect me but mostly you! 🤣 )

• Options

Hope everyone has a great day. ❤️

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins .... On this forum, we have the honor of receiving inputs from many leading numismatists - recognized authorities - on coins. Please understand, the inputs are not coming from amateurs in most cases. Good luck with your studies... Cheers, RickO

• Options

@ricko noted. Thanks

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    FairlanemanFairlaneman Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

For your information. Here is a AU 1916 Barber Dime that I own.

Ken

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file