Wednesday Night GTG (Grade Posted!)

Options
DelawareDoons
DelawareDoons Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 19, 2022 6:17PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Grade posted here.

It's CAC, obviously.

"It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

  • gumby1234
    gumby1234 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I'll go first. 67 PL

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • kaz
    kaz Posts: 9,378 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Nice one! 66PL?

  • Relaxn
    Relaxn Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    7PL

  • rainbowroosie
    rainbowroosie Posts: 4,875 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Very nice obverse, the die polish detracts a bit on the reverse. I’d grade it 67+… so it’s probably in a 65 holder🙃

    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    At the point when the grade is unknown, how can it be obvious that the coin’s been stickered?

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • FlyingAl
    FlyingAl Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    67PL.

    @MFeld, the sticker is visible in the pictures.

  • LanceNewmanOCC
    LanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    6+pl

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • scotty4449
    scotty4449 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    66 DMPL?

  • TomB
    TomB Posts: 23,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @MFeld said:
    At the point when the grade is unknown, how can it be obvious that the coin’s been stickered?

    In the original images there is a portion of a CAC sticker showing.

    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • jughead1893
    jughead1893 Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    67

  • Davidcoins
    Davidcoins Posts: 65 ✭✭✭
    Options

    66PL

  • WilliamF
    WilliamF Posts: 866 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    66PL, I was thinking it almost merited a DMPL but I don't think it quite got there, what a beauty!

    ."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 18, 2022 7:16PM
    Options

    @TomB said:

    @MFeld said:
    At the point when the grade is unknown, how can it be obvious that the coin’s been stickered?

    In the original images there is a portion of a CAC sticker showing.

    Ah, thanks FlyingAl and Tom - that’s what I get for focusing on just the coin.😉
    I’ll guess MS67.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • Relaxn
    Relaxn Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    7PL> @MFeld said:

    At the point when the grade is unknown, how can it be obvious that the coin’s been stickered?

    I was not willing to make that comment. Did not want to appear flippant. Lol

  • GRANDAM
    GRANDAM Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    1881-S come very nice. It that was a tougher date I would say MS67.

    As an 1881-S I say MS66

    GrandAm :)
  • Soldi
    Soldi Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    66+

  • coinbuf
    coinbuf Posts: 12,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Pretty sure the solid insert was phased out before the plus grades were brought in, I'll say 67PL. And at the same time I cannot help but wonder if that small scratch did/or would result in a details grade.

    My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

    Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Coinscratch
    Coinscratch Posts: 11,086 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    68PL

  • JBN
    JBN Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    67

  • ricko
    ricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I am thinking 66.... Small dings on cheek and chin, light field scratch on reverse... Cheers, RickO

  • DelawareDoons
    DelawareDoons Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @coinbuf said:
    Pretty sure the solid insert was phased out before the plus grades were brought in

    Long, long before. Well over a decade prior. Fatties ended in '95, plus grades launched in 2010.

    "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • HighRelief
    HighRelief Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    MS66

  • braddick
    braddick Posts: 25,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I think it's better, yet to buck the trend I'll go MS65.

  • marcmoish
    marcmoish Posts: 6,938 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    66 from me, like!

  • ChrisH821
    ChrisH821 Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I'm at 67, no PL

    Collector, occasional seller

  • Connecticoin
    Connecticoin Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I will guess 66, but a very nice 66.

    Some chatter in the left field may hold it back from a 67B, which is why it got a green bean. JA may have thought it was 67C.

  • Meltdown
    Meltdown Posts: 9,284 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    An easy 66 if I had to guess.

  • BigMoose
    BigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Options
    1. No PL
    TomT-1794

    Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • jesbroken
    jesbroken Posts: 11,253 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I think Liberty is a 67, beautiful face and cheek, but I'm not a good grader from photos with toning covering the fields, so without seeing the coin inhand, I will assume the fields are clean(bad to assume) and say 67 overall.
    Jim


    When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • clarkbar04
    clarkbar04 Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    7PL

    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • LanceNewmanOCC
    LanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @coinbuf said:
    Pretty sure the solid insert was phased out before the plus grades were brought in, I'll say 67PL. And at the same time I cannot help but wonder if that small scratch did/or would result in a details grade.

    .
    i even thought to myself as making my guess, hmm, a soapbar. yet i STILL posted a + grade guess. :D

    <--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

  • relicsncoins
    relicsncoins Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I'll go 67, looks very nice.

    Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • JJM
    JJM Posts: 8,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 11:42AM
    Options

    66(Star)PL

    👍BST's erickso1,cone10,MICHAELDIXON,TennesseeDave,p8nt,jmdm1194,RWW,robkool,Ahrensdad,Timbuk3,Downtown1974,bigjpst,mustanggt,Yorkshireman,idratherbgardening,SurfinxHI,derryb,masscrew,Walkerguy21D,MJ1927,sniocsu,Coll3tor,doubleeagle07,luciobar1980,PerryHall,SNMAM,mbcoin,liefgold,keyman64,maprince230,TorinoCobra71,RB1026,Weiss,LukeMarshall,Wingsrule,Silveryfire, pointfivezero,IKE1964,AL410, Tdec1000, AnkurJ,guitarwes,Type2,Bp777,jfoot113,JWP,mattniss,dantheman984,jclovescoins,Collectorcoins,Weather11am,Namvet69,kansasman,Bruce7789,ADG,Larrob37,Waverly, justindan
  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 19, 2022 12:31PM
    Options

    @JJM said:
    66(Star)PL

    For what reason do you think they might have have given the coin a "Star"?

    I asked because, if the coin's designated PL and "Star", I'd think that the only reason it could have received the "Star" would have been either for great color or borderline DMPL surfaces. And I don't see either of those possibilities in the images provided.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • privatecoin
    privatecoin Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    66

    Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

  • DelawareDoons
    DelawareDoons Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    I'll post the grade at 9:00 Eastern tonight

    "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • DelawareDoons
    DelawareDoons Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Last hour bump

    "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • DrewU
    DrewU Posts: 208 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

    67

  • thefinn
    thefinn Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    MS67

    thefinn
  • clarkbar04
    clarkbar04 Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Sweet..

    MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • braddick
    braddick Posts: 25,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    Worthy of such a grade. Nice Morgan!

  • Connecticoin
    Connecticoin Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @DelawareDoons said:
    Congrats to those of you who got it right. For whatever it's worth, I don't think it would go PL today.

    @gumby1234 @Relaxn @FlyingAl @coinbuf @clarkbar04

    JA thinks it would - I know he does not confirm + grades, but my understanding is PL, DMPL, etc is confirmed by the green bean. But certainly that is no guarantee the grading services would.

  • DelawareDoons
    DelawareDoons Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 9:56AM
    Options

    @Connecticoin said:

    @DelawareDoons said:
    Congrats to those of you who got it right. For whatever it's worth, I don't think it would go PL today.

    @gumby1234 @Relaxn @FlyingAl @coinbuf @clarkbar04

    JA thinks it would - I know he does not confirm + grades, but my understanding is PL, DMPL, etc is confirmed by the green bean. But certainly that is no guarantee the grading services would.

    As I understand, it just means it's PL by his standards, not that a TPG would PL it today. I freely admit that my standards for PL/DMPL are tougher than his.

    But you are correct, designation has to be to CAC's standards to bean, as well as the numerical grade.

    "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

  • gumby1234
    gumby1234 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

    @DelawareDoons Would you sell it at MS67 no PL?

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 11:09AM
    Options

    @gumby1234 said:
    @DelawareDoons Would you sell it at MS67 no PL?

    Seriously, why would he do that (unless at a PL price), when it’s (edited) NGC/CAC PL?

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

  • gumby1234
    gumby1234 Posts: 5,901 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 11:01AM
    Options

    @MFeld He said he doubts it would get a PL grade today so I was wondering.

    EDIT also its an NGC slab

    Successful BST with ad4400, Kccoin, lablover, pointfivezero, koynekwest, jwitten, coin22lover, HalfDimeDude, erwindoc, jyzskowsi, COINS MAKE CENTS, AlanSki, BryceM

  • MFeld
    MFeld Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2022 11:24AM
    Options

    @gumby1234 said:
    @MFeld He said he doubts it would get a PL grade today so I was wondering.

    EDIT also its an NGC slab

    Thank you for the “EDIT”.
    It doesn’t matter that he doubts it would go PL today. And for that matter, it wouldn’t matter if he thought it was over-graded, either. He can get 67PL money for it, as is. And unless he wants to give money away, why would he sell it for non-PL money?

    I commend @DelawareDoons for his objectivity and openness in sharing his thoughts about the coin.

    Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file