Home U.S. Coin Forum

Morgan Dollar. Tell me your thoughts

MartinMartin Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Picked this up at a local BM. Beat me up some and tell me what’s wrong with it. What got my eye was how bright white the coin was. It’s seems to white to me. I know 81-s come nice. I can’t help but think this coins been messed with. I paid $100 for it. Figured you guys could set me straight and the
Lesson would be worth it. Pictures are from a iPhone and I’m not skilled at photos

Thanks in advance Also I can take beating no need to hold back

Martin

Comments

• FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks like you did alright, it may be cleaned looking at the pics but I don't think it is based on the reverse. At a 64 you're in the same price range, and it looks at least a 64.

Coin Photographer.

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like it would be around a 63/64, likely dipped, but market acceptable.

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭✭✭

My first thought was 64 as well. The days of buying MS Morgans for $30 have long passed.

• BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,885 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw a guy pay over $200 for a certified example at my local coin ship. So in that context, you did okay.

It seems like it’s a high price for a very common date. I remember when people thought 100 bucks was a high number when the bid for an MS-65 hit that on the Grey Sheet. The price came down from that not too long after that.

Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice coin from your pics. Assuming there are no hairlines or other defects not showing up in your pics, I would call it a 65.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Pics are a little bright to see details but looks about 64 to me also.

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

nice widget. those images really suck.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Certainly a bright white Morgan... May have been dipped... It should straight grade. Cheers, RickO

• MFeldMFeld Posts: 13,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

My thoughts are that it's hard to get a real good feel for the coin from those images. And that it's extremely common, with (already-graded) MS64 examples available for about what you paid.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• skier07skier07 Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice but you could have bought a slabbed one for the same price and there’s nothing exciting about an 1881-S Morgan.

• MartinMartin Posts: 930 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you very much guys. for your input. I know a snap and shoot picture on a coin it hard to judge . What got me on this coin (impulse buy) was how bright it is. It also is lacking in naked eye chatter. The chatter is apparent with a 10x and of course the photo. I was mainly hoping someone here could identify if the surfaces had been messed with IE whizzing or light buffing or some other manipulation although I don't see it. I have a hard time identifying altered surfaces.

Again thanks for the advice. I really was thinking i'd get the it obvious to me its............ fill in the bland responses.
    Maybe the coin did come out the bright.

Thanks Again
    Martin

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

Unfortunately, the lighting is making it difficult for me to gauge what the surfaces look like or the remaining cartwheel luster. I agree it looks like a pretty clean coin... 64, maybe a shot at 65? But we would need better images and from different angles (or coin in-hand) to see if there's evidence of whizzing/buffing... I'd look for patches of small lines or abrasions that all tend in the same direction... and not in the direction of the normal metallic flow lines that develop when the coin is struck...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@ifthevamzarockin can you take a
    Look at Morgan and give me your thoughts on its surfaces. My gut tells me it’s been messed with other than a dip
    Main

• ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

A little hard to tell from the photos but it looks nice and appears like it could be a 64 or 65.
    I'm not seeing anything that would indicate it's been messed with.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,114 ✭✭✭✭✭

It’s hard to tell from the photos exactly how it looks, so I’ll give a piece of advice with more generality. This is a case where knowing the series will really help. The 81-S is bar none the easiest Morgan to find nice. Clean examples with bright surfaces are the norm. What that means is you can be extremely discerning and get both a really nice coin and not really need to pay much premium. So in this case, unless the coin is way better than the photos, I’d guess you’d have been better off holding out for a graded coin or one you’re much more sure is a great example. This is one of those dates where there’s no reason to leave something on the table when it comes to quality.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • vplite99vplite99 Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭✭✭

Problem: It is another 1881S. There are so very many excellent examples.

Vplite99
  • lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 8,159 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    It’s hard to tell from the photos exactly how it looks, so I’ll give a piece of advice with more generality. This is a case where knowing the series will really help. The 81-S is bar none the easiest Morgan to find nice. Clean examples with bright surfaces are the norm. What that means is you can be extremely discerning and get both a really nice coin and not really need to pay much premium. So in this case, unless the coin is way better than the photos, I’d guess you’d have been better off holding out for a graded coin or one you’re much more sure is a great example. This is one of those dates where there’s no reason to leave something on the table when it comes to quality.

This! If there's any issue with an 81-S Morgan Dollar just walk to the next table... you'll likely find a nice one without any difficulty...

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 318 ✭✭✭✭

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Unnecessary post

@Rob9874 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Unnecessary post

what is the point to posting something like this, if i cant post something like that?

"Also I can take beating no need to hold back"

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• KOYNGUYKOYNGUY Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

IF NO HIDDEN HAIRLINES, 65, SHOT 66. J.P

• AtcarrollAtcarroll Posts: 394 ✭✭✭✭

@Rob9874 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

Unnecessary post

Says you. Those images make it difficult to asses the coin properly.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Rob9874 said:
    Unnecessary post

Unnecessary post

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

@LanceNewmanO I’m a big boy and no offense was taken
    I do appreciate all the responses. I bought this coin because it was too white. My gut told me that it had been messed with. I wanted to learn or verify what it was. What I learned is that my I phone and I can’t take a picture of a coin. And that my gut was wrong. Now I’m stuck with a 81s in a 2x2. When I picked this coin up I was not in the market for actually any coin.

And BTW. The coin looks like a 67 with out my glasses
    So win win for me😂

Thanks again the brain power here is awesome

Martin

• ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭✭✭

looks 65ish

Collector, occasional seller

• FranklinHalfAddictFranklinHalfAddict Posts: 669 ✭✭✭✭✭

The reverse looks good to me. If anything I’d say the obverse looks a little funky but I’d have to see it out of the 2x2 or in hand to say anything for sure.

• Che_GrapesChe_Grapes Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like it but common date in high grades. 81CC and then I’m excited...

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 11,182 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Martin said:

What I learned is that my I phone and I can’t take a picture of a coin.

Martin

The thing that jumped out at me when I opened the thread is you took the photo of the coin in the 2X2, that very often makes getting a good shot difficult as the window film creates glare and interference. Most cell phones can take very nice photos, taking your photos out of the 2X2 in the future would likely give you much better results.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.

@Martin said:
    @LanceNewmanO I’m a big boy and no offense was taken
    I do appreciate all the responses. I bought this coin because it was too white. My gut told me that it had been messed with. I wanted to learn or verify what it was. What I learned is that my I phone and I can’t take a picture of a coin. And that my gut was wrong. Now I’m stuck with a 81s in a 2x2. When I picked this coin up I was not in the market for actually any coin.

And BTW. The coin looks like a 67 with out my glasses
    So win win for me😂

Thanks again the brain power here is awesome

Martin

i appreciate that! i was hoping for a little banter is all. ;)

i understand some people can't/don't take images well and/or can't/don't process them but taking a coin out of a flip is ESSENTIAL! that glare can severely offer up any valuable advice we may provide.

you will certain need to distinguish a coin that has been dipped (and/or properly/improperly rinsed) vs one that has been stripped but not cleaned. the luster usually suffers greatly in overdipped/stripped coins and severly alters the condition/value.

part of why some people dip coins is because it makes the contact marks stand out less but this usually comes at the cost of nice luster/frost. if you tilt the coin at the correct angles, the contact marks still reflect light not too dissimilar from facets in a gem, they will POP.

the last thing and it is hard to tell from those bright images, is that there may be some PL to the coin. we'll call it pizzaz in this case.

• P0CKETCHANGEP0CKETCHANGE Posts: 2,476 ✭✭✭✭✭

Are those the same photos, just rotated? Why not take the coin out of the flip and see how a few more photos turn out?

Nothing is as expensive as free money.

• slider23slider23 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

You overpaid for the common date. The photos make the coin look dipped or polished. I would hope that your local BM would not send you out the door with a polished 1881 S for $100. It appears that you could have got more coin for less money buying a graded TPG example. When I first started collecting Morgan's, I was paying/buying raw MS better dates from a dealer. I sent 5 better dates coins into NGC for grading and all examples came back at AU58. That was my first paid lesson in grading.

@P0CKETCHANGE said:
    Are those the same photos, just rotated?

yes.

• @Martin said:
    Thank you very much guys. for your input. I know a snap and shoot picture on a coin it hard to judge . What got me on this coin (impulse buy) was how bright it is. It also is lacking in naked eye chatter. The chatter is apparent with a 10x and of course the photo. I was mainly hoping someone here could identify if the surfaces had been messed with IE whizzing or light buffing or some other manipulation although I don't see it. I have a hard time identifying altered surfaces.

Again thanks for the advice. I really was thinking i'd get the it obvious to me its............ fill in the bland responses.
    Maybe the coin did come out the bright.

Thanks Again
    Martin

My take is if you bought it because it appealed to you as a beautiful coin and you were willing to part with $100, then you got a deal. If it was for a future ROI, then I don't know. I have overpaid for a lot of ungraded coins because I did not know how to estimate grades. I am a littler better these days, but I end up buying graded because then I at least know. I still look at several examples on the graded because some have a lot more eye appeal than other coins with the exact same grade.

• telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,856 ✭✭✭✭✭

The piece looks OK and original, at least as far as I can tell from the images provided. 81-S pieces tend to come nice like this. Good type set example

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • kazkaz Posts: 9,140 ✭✭✭✭✭

From what I can tell from the photos, no signs of whizzing. Polishing is a little harder to assess, but I think I see enough frost to rule that out.

@LanceNewmanOCC yes it does have slight mirrors (pizzaz) is a good term. Your reposting of the coin looks better than my pictures. 😀 go figure

@GatormanTX I actually bought this coin because I thought it had been messed with (more than a dip) but couldn’t see it for my self.

No one should blame the BM. There are times they seek my opinion before they submit. I missed one badly a few months ago I’m glad it didn’t cost me anything. That is partly why I bought this coin. My gut told me on both coins something might be amiss Even though they came to the shop via different sources

When I get some time won’t be this week I may take a few naked pictures of the coin. I’d submit tot it but I don’t want to Wait and no sure I want to spend more on the coin. Even if it straight grades (that coin doesn’t belong in a slab

@kaz thanks for chiming in good to see you post some

Thanks again all
    Martin

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file