Home U.S. Coin Forum

$1 1798 reverse wear pattern

lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

So when I saw this $1 1798 I wondered how did that vertical wear happen on the reverse.

Another search of the variety ($1 1798 4 Lines Knob 9 - B-5 BB-93) revealed the answer.
It is a big die crack from top to bottom. I suspect the height is uneven and perhaps from side to side as the striking is a little uneven on either side.
On a previous thread @Nysoto mentioned broken dies in the anvil position and can not fall out. Might be the same here or perhaps just a big die crack.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Comments

• jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,829 ✭✭✭✭✭

Glad I read all of your post, as I was getting ready to mention the possibility of a die crack.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭✭✭

Answered your own question 😄
    I would scoop up either of those coins In a heartbeat... message me if you happen to have a lead 👍

• LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2022 7:58AM

nice and probably quite scarce bisecting die break on a bust dollar no less!

edited to add: that first coin is a lovely circ cam example.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• NysotoNysoto Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2022 8:12PM

The error guys call these "split dies", I believe unlike an edge cud that could fall out, the split die break goes deep into the shaft of the die. This is the best example of a half dollar split die 1806 O-114a/T-16 (hair is either mine or my dog):

Edit - some error experts claim only lateral spread on a split die, and vertical displacement can be a retained cud. I think these could be a hybrid, they are obviously split with the die break extending well into the shaft, along with some vertical movement that shows up as two planes of different height on the coins.

Robert Scot: Engraving Liberty - biography of US Mint's first chief engraver
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I find die cracks to be quite interesting. I would love to see/hear a discussion on the topic, with a couple of professionals contributing to their experiences in volume minting and the various die breakages, life and what can be determined when looking at a die crack on a coin. Cheers, RickO

• ashelandasheland Posts: 23,005 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting thread. :)

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

In the OP I thought that the die was possibly broken like the previous one that Nysoto mentioned as a retained cud (again let me state I am not a die person and not trying to sound like one). But if the die is only cracked and not broken due to die depth, then what is causing the change in strike?

The left side (toward the center) appears to have a weaker strike than the right. Might be more easily seen with the stars but can also note it with shield versus wing and others. Also the wear pattern suggest that the left side (toward center) of the die crack is higher than the right because it appears that the wear is occurring on the left side. That is the die crack appears to be at about the right edge of the wear when comparing to the other TV without the wear.

Seems like there is a shift in the height or level of the face of the die from the left side (toward center) and the right side of the die crack. But if the die is not broken I have trouble visualizing this. Anything else going on?

Was I as clear as mud. :)

Thanks

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file