Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1888/7 Indian Cent?

Camera quality is bad. The signs are very subtle but there. Not all 1888/7 are extremely visible

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

“Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing.

1888/7 Indian Cent?

Sign in to vote!
This is a public poll: others will see what you voted for.

Comments

• Options
    JW77JW77 Posts: 461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your camera is poop

for me your close-up is too blurry to see the edges of the 7 underneath the 8

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No way of telling. The pics are to blurry

• Options
    silverpopsilverpop Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your camera is poop

too blurry to tell

Coins for sale at link below
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/TyJbuBJf37WZ2KT19

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@MarkKelley said:
    It doesn't have the diagnostic rim cud at 9:00 on the obverse.

This. Also, the majority of these have a very weak second bottom feather on the headdress. Yours doesn't. It's not a disqualifier but its darn near close.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Date position on your coin is too far to the left - the flag tip of your 1 is left of the bust point.
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1888-7-1c-bn/2169

• Options
    SpecGotCoinsSpecGotCoins Posts: 213 ✭✭
    Yes

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    OldhoopsterOldhoopster Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Why are you insisting it's an 8/7. These came from 1 die that has specific characteristics that were pointed out previously. That die has a cud and your coin does not exhibit that cud. Please explain how your coin can be from that die?

Member of the ANA since 1982
  • Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,676 ✭✭✭✭✭

Me no like out of focus pics. Try harder, check the image before you post it. Good luck

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Definitely not... the last 8 has some PMD.... Cheers, RickO

• Options
    Yes

@Oldhoopster said:
    Why are you insisting it's an 8/7. These came from 1 die that has specific characteristics that were pointed out previously. That die has a cud and your coin does not exhibit that cud. Please explain how your coin can be from that die?

The cuds location is on the rim, the rim is worn. I looked up it's location and there appears to be a small hole, exactly where the cud should be. I was pretty excited when I saw it.

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    Yes

Also on the last 8, bottom left, you can see where the bottom of the seven protrudes

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    Yes

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Here is the Coinfacts link. Your piece lacks the diagnostics around the date as well as the cud at 9 o'clock...

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1888-7-1c-bn/2169

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.
  • Options
    CryptoCrypto Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭✭

no Agree with PP, I dont see the cud

• Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,127 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No cud, no cud "remnant", no bottom of a 7 protruding from the 8 = Nope, not the overdate. EOS.

• Options
    Yes

Y'all are negative lol. Not all examples have the cid or the markings you're talking about. Some are very subtle and pretty much non visible. Look at all the examples on PCGS. Some you can't even tell. This has to be the 88/7. Ya negative goobers lol

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I'm not seeing it...

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    No

@SpecGotCoins said:
    Y'all are negative lol. Not all examples have the cid or the markings you're talking about. Some are very subtle and pretty much non visible. Look at all the examples on PCGS. Some you can't even tell. This has to be the 88/7. Ya negative goobers lol

You've been receiving feedback from numerous experienced collectors. These arent "some guys sitting at the end of the bar". Most have decades of experience in numismatics. They know the Indian cent reference by Snow. While it would be great if you found something, members aren't going to tell you what you want go hear, they will tell you truthfully what you have. And the overwhelming consensus is telling you that you don't have anything

You have a tremendous opportunity to learn from this extremely knowledgeable group, but have decided to be derogatory. It would be a shame if people choose to ignore your posts. Just saying.

• Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your camera is poop

No point in posting images that don't have the quality to display your point............ Seriously.............................

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Heck yes, send that mother in asap. Get it on the label!

bob :)

Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2022 6:34PM
    Yes

Negative goobers is derogatory? Sounded cute to me. Say what you want. I still think it's an 88/7. But I ain't mad at ya. Love all

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    Yes

Thanks @yosclimber ✌️☺️

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    lcutlerlcutler Posts: 504 ✭✭✭✭
    No

I think yosclimber's pictures put it to rest once and for all.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@lcutler said:
    I think yosclimber's pictures put it to rest once and for all.

And yet I'm willing to bet it's not over.

• Options
    Yes

Just thought I'd share more since I got a coin magnifier ![](https://u![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027![](https://
    us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/ut/l4srqb7a2szy.jpg "")
    503/uploads/editor/7w/ajrlidjnx6gb.jpg "")
    s.v-cdn.net/60![](https://us.v-cdn.net/6027503/uploads/editor/y5/i0unujf575kd.

jpg "")

27503/uploads/editor/vz/ttkymst1kl9j.jpg "")

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Better photos but still not 8/7 ;)

• Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Still no.

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

No by the looks of things

• Options
    Yes

How a no still? Not all 88 over 7s look the same and are appearant as others. Some you can hardly tell or ever see the seven at the bottom of the 8. There are undeniable things here.

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 23, 2022 3:30AM
    No

You can dream it's the 8/7, but with the wrong date position,
    and too worn to show the dentil cud, I doubt you will be able to sell it for 8/7 money.

Keep looking, you might find one. But others are looking as well.

• Options
    Yes

@yosclimber said:
    You can dream it's the 8/7, but with the wrong date position,
    and too worn to show the dentil cud, I doubt you will be able to sell it for 8/7 money.

Keep looking, you might find one. But others are looking as well.

True. The selling bit. They have two different date positions? I don't remember but something with the dates is different on different varieties. There are some forums that get into deeper detail than others about certain similarities. Thanks for the input. Good luck with your collecting as well 🖤✌️🧐

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

I suggest since you don’t want to listen to anyone on here and it seems you have your mind set that it is no matter what. Spend the money and send it in, unless you don’t think the graders at PCGS or NGC don’t know what they are doing also.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options
    jedmjedm Posts: 2,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

@yosclimber said:
    P.S. Your photos are good enough to show it is not the 8/7.
    You just have to know what to look at.

You have great photos, it's just that you're not able to see what they show. Have fun!

• Options
    IkesTIkesT Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SpecGotCoins said:
    There are undeniable things here.

LOL

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

@SpecGotCoins said:
    How a no still? Not all 88 over 7s look the same and are appearant as others. Some you can hardly tell or ever see the seven at the bottom of the 8. There are undeniable things here.

ALL 8 over 7 do look the same. The overdate is on the die and all coins struck are identical. You can only "hardly tell" on a very worn coin. Yours is not. The date is quite clear and quite clearly a straight 88 with no overdate.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No

Here's mine,
    Take a look at the date position

Yours is NOT an overdate

• Options
    No

Take a look at your poll. Those members who voted no, include error experts, experienced dealers, and very knowledgeable collectors with decades of experience. NOBODY feels this coin is 8 over 7. Nobody.

They've even given you information on why it can't be an 8/7. Based on facts.

By continuing to post pics, and say "what about this " or "can't you see that", especially after all of the feedback you've received, it comes across as " I don't believe what you're saying". Think about it. A unanimous consensus by a large number of members including top experts, should tell you all you need to know. Unless you still believe everyone is wrong?

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did not vote because I do not know. It may or may not be. This is a variety that I have looked for and never found. An overvalued variety INHO because a lot of time it is very hard to detect sometimes, as is your coin. I need to see more of the 7 for me to purchase it. I would not purchase it as a1888/7. Still, someone out there that thinks it is a 1888/7 may want it. I will wait for a more determinable example. Even, if you slab it as such, it is not for me. Slabbing will make it much more desirable and sellable.

• Options
    Yes

@rec78 said:
    I did not vote because I do not know. It may or may not be. This is a variety that I have looked for and never found. An overvalued variety INHO because a lot of time it is very hard to detect sometimes, as is your coin. I need to see more of the 7 for me to purchase it. I would not purchase it as a1888/7. Still, someone out there that thinks it is a 1888/7 may want it. I will wait for a more determinable example. Even, if you slab it as such, it is not for me. Slabbing will make it much more desirable and sellable.

Thanks dude. I appreciate your honesty. Overvalued variety?

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    Yes

@SummerDays3104 said:
    This dudes still going at this 2 months later… give it a break man… you found nothing and that’s that

Relax man. Go have some pie, a run, a massage. You seem, tense.

I love you all ~Spec ✌️

• Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭

The cud wouldn't wear flat with the rest of the rim.

There's a difference in being negative and not going along with the opinion you'd like to hear. Most of us are still old enough to remember the wreath cent nonsense.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options
    Picker1954Picker1954 Posts: 184 ✭✭✭
    No

Is this the same guy, new name, that expounded on his 1909-S VDB for what seemed forever?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file