Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

CAC sticker and originality

cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,062 ✭✭✭✭✭

Since originality is a favored concept among classic collectors and there is nostalgia for older TPG plastic, is there also a premium for having the “original” sticker? I’ve never really paid attention, but are there generations of CAC stickers too? I could see something subtle like the angle of tilt required to illuminate the sticker.

Comments

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

I imagine that when JA hangs up his loupe …. the OP’s question will be on many folks’ minds….

• Options

@SeattleSlammer said:
    I imagine that when JA hangs up his loupe …. the OP’s question will be on many folks’ minds….

Interestingly some have postulated (including CAC early investor TDN) that there have already been shifts in standards over time and perhaps even some mild sticker inflation (albeit much slower than broader grade inflation). Is there a way to distinguish between early CACed coins and newer ones?

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 3:04PM

@cameonut2011 not that I’m aware of ….. unless you’ve got access to their database ….

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didn't realize there were generations of CAC stickers.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

This thread should be poofed immediately ! ;)

• Options

@stockdude_ said:
    This thread should be poofed immediately ! ;)

It’s a legitimate question. People openly pine for old holder PCGS, NGC, and CAC coins. Why wouldn’t an interest in sticker generation (if there is any at this point) be a natural and logical sequel?

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:

@SeattleSlammer said:

Interestingly some have postulated (including CAC early investor TDN) that there have already been shifts in standards over time and perhaps even some mild sticker inflation (albeit much slower than broader grade inflation). Is there a way to distinguish between early CACed coins and newer ones?

I have not heard of any different sticker designs for CAC. There could of course be slight variations in the colors depending on when a sticker batch was printed, but that would not be indicative of a shift or generation change.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh no.... Not sticker generations now.... Wow... Has anyone considered the types of ink used on labels?? Certainly the old dot matrix are more desirable than the ink jet labels. :D;) I give up, just show me the coin!!!! Cheers, RickO

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Chinese will force them to change the sticker 1 day IMHO. Frankly I'm surprised it hasn't happened yet. Wait till they get hacked and someone adds a bunch of coins to the data based and add fake stickers to the coins!

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

There aren’t.

• Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:

There aren’t.

Wanna bet?? :D

I tried to buy this one several years ago to have the sticker, but the owner, and now his heirs, aren't interested in selling.

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman said:
    @PerryHall said:

There aren’t.

I tried to buy this one several years ago to have the sticker, but the owner, and now his heirs, aren't interested in selling.

From the look of the reverse that coin deserves a mega CAC sticker on it. Wow!!!!!

• Options
    FlyingAlFlyingAl Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Lakesammman Do you have a picture of the obverse?

Young Numismatist, Coin Photographer.

• Options
    ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 10:11AM

@Lakesammman I was almost convinced that image was a false memory implanted in my head somehow. Thank you for posting it!

Stretched out the barcode and found it, thankfully that is a reverse barcode generation slab.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/21071348

https://coins.ha.com/itm/proof-liberty-double-eagles/1892-20-pr66-deep-cameo-pcgs-cac/a/1169-5352.s?hdnJumpToLot=1&x=0&y=0

Interestingly the obverse also has a sticker, although in an odd placement

Collector, occasional seller

• Options

@Lakesammman said:
    @PerryHall said:

There aren’t.

I’d that an official sticker? Very cool!

• Options
    fathomfathom Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would say that did not go over well, no pun intended.

• Options

@fathom said:
    I would say that did not go over well, no pun intended.

The sticker or the thread?

• Options

@pcgscacgold said:

@Lakesammman said:
    @PerryHall said:

There aren’t.

From the look of the reverse that coin deserves a mega CAC sticker on it. Wow!!!!!

Looks like that is a supplemental sticker to the bean vs a variation/change of the bean image itself.

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭

i want that

• Options
    ElcontadorElcontador Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't care about the generation of sticker. A personal observation based on the few coins I send them is that they are getting more selective about what they sticker. It used to be if it was original and attractive for the grade, it would get a sticker. Not always the case now. I've noticed a similar trend re + graded coins.

"Vou invadir o Nordeste,
    "Seu cabra da peste,
    "Sou Mangueira......."
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,294 ✭✭✭✭✭

It was a beautiful coin in person!

"My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2022 11:39PM

Nada.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2022 10:40AM

So what happens to originality when a coin goes bad in the holder?

What would be the new acronym / description? Mult Choice: CRCJB or BAY99CStart.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

To date, CAC has not had gradeflation nor changed its standards. Therefore, it really doesn't matter if there was Old or new CAC stickers. At the moment, it is a non issue. CAC's consistency is one of the reason approved coins generally bring a premium

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gazes said:
    To date, CAC has not had gradeflation nor changed its standards. Therefore, it really doesn't matter if there was Old or new CAC stickers. At the moment, it is a non issue. CAC's consistency is one of the reason approved coins generally bring a premium

How do you know????

• Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:

@Gazes said:

How do you know????

Because CAC said so! Of course, the major grading services make the same claim.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options

@PerryHall said:

@amwldcoin said:

@Gazes said:

How do you know????

Because CAC said so! Of course, the major grading services make the same claim.

The problem is evidence. It’s easy to make a claim for both sides. Who has real evidence?

• Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

When John hangs up his loupe, then would be the time to alter sticker design.

Stickers are all the same, though, up until now.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file