Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Instagram. Who here uses it for coins? I have questions.

StorkStork Posts: 5,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2022 12:20PM in World & Ancient Coins Forum

@Zohar I think you do. And I know more than one someone has asked me if I have an account. I'm about to create one for my coin stuff. edited to add @mkman123 you too I think.

Comments

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep PillarsandPortraits

• Options

@Boosibri said:
    Yep PillarsandPortraits

Do you use it more to show your cool coins or are you selling or both? I'm planning on downsizing my dupes and maybe even go back to type collecting on my Japanese coins (albeit the superb ones get to stay). It might be fun to post my nice coins and possibly at some point sell the dupes.

And is it just a matter of downloading the app and making up a handle? I'm torn between Stork that I have used for almost 2 decades vs. my 'other' handle that I used when putting together my vanity site (and that I have over at NGC including my 'sets').

• Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 12:31PM

I'm bronzemat same as on here. I use it mainly to show coins. I've never sold but I have bought from others from time to time. I have gotten some good deals through instagram and have yet to be screwed over. But it isn't my main source. It's still ebay and trusted dealers.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

I use it for both displaying coins and selling. The video component really helps with toners.
    As mentioned by others, it is easy to set up an account. Then search for a few of us to follow (you can then check our follower list to get an idea of who else to follow). Building up a base of followers is how to get the most use out of the platform (so that you can see more content and others can follow you back).

• Options
    AbueloAbuelo Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here it is...

• Options
    ZoharZohar Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭✭✭

I spend most of my time there and specialized facebook groups.

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

is it a good place for "sizing down"?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,621 ✭✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    is it a good place for "sizing down"?

By "sizing down" do you mean selling off a large part of your collection all at once?
    It likely isn't the venue to sell big lots all at once unless there is room for someone to piece it out and resell it (similar with if you brought it all to a local shop). Also you will need to build up a following to help sell (so that more people see your items).

• Options

Cool! I'll probably set this up tonight and add my latest newp. It's a good one (IMO of course :wink: ). I'm experimenting with my new phone and trying to see if it's good enough for coins. Thanks! And once I do I'll post my username. Once I decide on it. I'll probably use my ATS one even though I've used Stork here (forever) and Cointalk. My 'sets' and my website are under the other name.

Next project will be bringing the website up to date.

• Options
    EVillageProwlerEVillageProwler Posts: 5,859 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Zohar said:
    I spend most of my time there and specialized facebook groups.

Boomer! B)

How does one get a hater to stop hating?

I can be reached at evillageprowler@gmail.com

• Options

Okay, I now have an Instagram account. I used my 'other' name (and it's the avatar I've been using over here and at CT too). Look for me at StarCityHomer. The first post is my 'well toned' 1870 yen. It seemed fitting.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

I have the honor of being your first follower! I am cathedral_numismatics on IG.

• Options

Cool! This could be fun!

• Options
    mkman123mkman123 Posts: 6,849 ✭✭✭✭

Glad to see you joining instagram! Its a very active place for various US and World coin collectors. I used it to post and share my coins and see other collectors coins.

My username is world_and_thai_coins_collector

I havent posted recently as I've since moved to southeast asia

Successful Buying and Selling transactions with:

Many members on this forum that now it cannot fit in my signature. Please ask for entire list.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2022 7:33PM

@mkman123 said:
    Glad to see you joining instagram! Its a very active place for various US and World coin collectors. I used it to post and share my coins and see other collectors coins.

My username is world_and_thai_coins_collector

I havent posted recently as I've since moved to southeast asia

I think I found your account already and started to follow. Too funny! ETA I am obtuse. Somehow I thought that was a new message.

• Options

Arrgh. I think my account was deleted. I kept getting a message that I had to send in a security code but never got the text. I tried the password recovery and now my username, email, and phone number can't be found. Yet I can't register. Can't figure out how to contact Instagram to figure out where the account went?

Can one of my new friends check to make sure at least that the account really is gone? Assuming it's not been hacked seeing as it had no value. Sigh.

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,877 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    bronzematbronzemat Posts: 2,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

As of this morning you're no longer on my friends list and the activity you did on some posts are gone. Plus, the username isn't available in a search anymore.

• Options

Thanks! How bizarre. The account doesn’t show up when I search for it.

I finally got to a password recovery screen that didn’t try using my phone for an SMS and it ended up saying the password reset email was going to some random hotmail account.

I guess it was hacked. Which is beyond strange. The other one I started at the same time is fine. And I didn’t use my log in credentials anywhere but home.

I submitted a ‘my account is hacked’ ticket but somehow I don’t see this going anywhere. And I have zero ideas how this could happen. Especially as it is just that account.

Oh well. If I disappear from the internet this how it started. Or if that account starts spewing nonsense. It’s a shame, I had fun with my posts.

• Options

Something weird for sure. My other account I started (for my chickens) is also not sending me SMS messages which was the first thing the starcityhomer account did for password recovery. So that is weird (and to test, I re-activated WhatsApp on my new phone and that sent a message just fine). For whatever reason Instagram doesn't seem to get SMS through to me.

I tried recovering with my email, and no account with that email. Tried to set up a new Instagram with the same email, but can't because it's associated with an account.

• Options

It seems my account is back! I got an email saying it had been inadvertently deactivated. No hacking. Whew. Oddly though I cannot get an SMS message to my phone from Instagram. I sent it to my husband's phone and it was fine. Weirdness. I'm getting other ones, just not Instagram.

In any case, if you see Homer again, he's me still.