Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Idea for CAC on Reholder PCGS and NGC slabs.

retirednowretirednow Posts: 471 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wish somehow CAC and PCGS /NGC would join forces and offer to automatically re sticker their holders with a CAC sticker when slabs are resubmitted for Reholder serives that had a CAC sticker - ( Not those for reconsideration or conserving services)

I have sent dozens with a CAC sticker back to PCGS and NGC to be reholder - mainly because the holders are scratched up or damaged (chipped edges). Of course one loses the CAC sticker in the process. While I can resubmit directly back to CAC to resticker for a nominal fee if the cert numbers are the same, the expense of mailing, time away in transit, and the bid concern is the RISK OF LOSS associated with mailing - can be nerve racking.

I would think that these firms could work a cooperative deal where PCGS/NGC could resticker certified/registered CAC coins on the behalf of CAC if the cert numbers remain the same (when they are reholder) at a same CAC cost plus a service fee. CAC will still get the appropriate fee and PCGS and NGC could get a nominal fee for the extra service. it could be a win win for every one.

I would think PCGS and NGC could put in place the safe guards for CAC to protect the integrity of the restickering services

Just something to think about.

Tagged:

Comments

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,605 ✭✭✭✭✭

It would be nice and your method seems plausible. However, I don’t think any of the three consider it a big enough issue to tackle. Plus the possibility of something going wrong or an accusation of impropriety would make all three hesitant (especially if it’s not a profitable endeavor).

• Options
    lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was told that on a re-sticker that cac does look at the coin to verify that nothing happened to it on the re-holder process. This would be something like a hairline scratch or other. I do know of people complaining that a coin got a hairline scratch on a re-grade/re-holder but don't have first hand evidence of it.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• Options
    cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,061 ✭✭✭✭✭

Or you could just refer people to the CAC database online to confirm the serial number matches… If a purchaser wants to buy it and assume the cost of doing so, as a seller I’d be happy to offer a guarantee that it will resticker for a 30 day period after purchase. I would not discount the coin or waste my money to pacify someone else’s OCD. If you are a collector holding a coin, you already have CAC verification thus the physical sticker shouldn’t be important enough to cause you stress.

• Options
    alefzeroalefzero Posts: 869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alternatively, PCGS and NGC could simply add CAC to the grade tag if the coin was sent for reholder, regrade, or reconsideration, where the grade was left unchanged and there was no conservation. The cert number could remain the same in such cases for regrade. (Presently, it gets a new number even without a grade change.) They would need to clear it with CAC due to property rights legal concerns of course though. The cert can be verified by potential buyers at caccoin.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

@retirednow said:

There you go thinking outside the box, what were you thinking? :):)
    I'm with you on this!!
    Instead of ALL the reasons that this wouldn't work I WISH all the naysayers here would devote there time and effort coming up with ways that could make this happen.
    I'll brace myself for all the negitive comments coming!

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,047 ✭✭✭✭✭

@cameonut2011 said:
    Or you could just refer people to the CAC database online to confirm the serial number matches… If a purchaser wants to buy it and assume the cost of doing so, as a seller I’d be happy to offer a guarantee that it will resticker for a 30 day period after purchase. I would not discount the coin or waste my money to pacify someone else’s OCD. If you are a collector holding a coin, you already have CAC verification thus the physical sticker shouldn’t be important enough to cause you stress.

The “OCD” conclusion sounds harsh and likely unjustified in a great many cases. That aside, I could see the lack of the physical sticker making a meaningful difference to some potential buyers, particularly in the case of especially valuable coins.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!
    Instead of ALL the reasons that this wouldn't work I WISH all the naysayers here would devote there time and effort coming up with ways that could make this happen.

It could work if the profit margins were right.
    How much would you be willing to pay for such a service and how often would you use it?
    Those two questions (answered by a large enough sample size) would go a long way towards deciding if it could happen.

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!

You seem to be of the opinion that disagreeing with the OP is synonymous with being negative. In this case, I think it’s merely being realistic. Sure, from a submitter’s point of view, the idea would be great. But it doesn’t take the policies, responsibilities and liabilities of CAC, NGC and PCGS into account.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

@U1chicago said:

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!

How much would you be willing to pay for such a service and how often would you use it?
    Those two questions (answered by a large enough sample size) would go a long way towards deciding if it could happen.

If you consider if you send in a coin for reholder with a CAC sticker I would be willing to pay a fee to have PCGS reapply the sticker. How much??? well, take this into account. Right now you would have to get the coin back from PCGS, then ship it off to CAC to get the sticker reapplied. Forget about the time involved, just think about the shipping costs and the worry of the coin(s) being in the mail! I believe CAC charges $3 for this now, so maybe another $3 for PCGS for the service and you're done. You just saved all the time and the shipping fee's, something I would be able to live with

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Has PCGS ever damaged a raw coin that was sent to them for grading?

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

What's in it for

PCGS
    NGC
    CAC

Nothing. Just more headaches.

Have a nice day
  • Options

@alaura22 said:

@U1chicago said:

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!

If you consider if you send in a coin for reholder with a CAC sticker I would be willing to pay a fee to have PCGS reapply the sticker. How much??? well, take this into account. Right now you would have to get the coin back from PCGS, then ship it off to CAC to get the sticker reapplied. Forget about the time involved, just think about the shipping costs and the worry of the coin(s) being in the mail! I believe CAC charges $3 for this now, so maybe another $3 for PCGS for the service and you're done. You just saved all the time and the shipping fee's, something I would be able to live with

I don't see them taking the risk for $3 extra. Let's say you were willing to pay $25 for the service and there were several hundred subs (if not several thousand) in a year, then you might get some breakthrough with this idea.

• Options

@streeter said:
    What's in it for

PCGS
    NGC
    CAC

They are businesses they are in business to make money, this is just another way to do that.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!

You seem to be of the opinion that disagreeing with the OP is synonymous with being negative. In this case, I think it’s merely being realistic. Sure, from a submitter’s point of view, the idea would be great. But it doesn’t take the policies, responsibilities and liabilities of CAC, NGC and PCGS into account.

I think that those in favor of such an idea have no idea or concept of the risks to the TPG and CAC of this idea. And honestly I don't think they care, their only concern is the convivence and cost savings to them not how it affects the business involved with this idea.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!

Mark
    Lets look at this a different way. Right now PCGS has registry sets just for CAC coins. In order for you to add the coin in this set PCGS runs down the cert and verifies that the coin is CAC approved.
    Same would apply here. Afetr they reholder the coin they could run it through CAC database and confirm that the coin is CAC approved and reapply the sticker.

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@streeter said:
    What's in it for

PCGS
    NGC
    CAC

They are businesses they are in business to make money, this is just another way to do that.

Obviously, PCGS knows that after reholdering a coin with a sticker, the coin's owner is going to prefer to have a sticker on the new holder. And yet, they're not doing it. I'm guessing they have a reason, even if it's not publicly known.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

@streeter said:
    What's in it for

PCGS
    NGC
    CAC

Obviously, PCGS knows that after reholdering a coin with a sticker, the coin's owner is going to prefer to have a sticker on the new holder. And yet, they're not doing it. I'm guessing they have a reason, even if it's not publicly known.

This is way we are talking about it, to advocate change!

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@MFeld said:

@alaura22 said:

@retirednow said:

I'm with you on this!!

Mark
    Lets look at this a different way. Right now PCGS has registry sets just for CAC coins. In order for you to add the coin in this set PCGS runs down the cert and verifies that the coin is CAC approved.
    Same would apply here. Afetr they reholder the coin they could run it through CAC database and confirm that the coin is CAC approved and reapply the sticker.

That’s an entirely different situation. The OP’s idea involves coins that are being cracked out of holders and which could be damaged. It also requires that someone other than CAC apply their stickers, without CAC re-examining the coins, first.

• Options

I'm really glad the the innovators of the world didn't think like this!
    We would still be driving horse and buggies.......

• Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ground breaking idea here..
    Take the sticker off yourself before sending off to reholder.

Here's the best part...when the coin comes back you put the sticker back on!

• Options

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

@streeter said:
    What's in it for

PCGS
    NGC
    CAC

If you don't know why they're not doing it already, what makes you think you're in a position to competently advocate for change?

• Options

@jayPem said:
    Ground breaking idea here..
    Take the sticker off yourself before sending off to reholder.

Here's the best part...when the coin comes back you put the sticker back on!

Don't give the bad guys any ideas.......... :)

• Options

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

@streeter said:
    What's in it for

PCGS
    NGC
    CAC

If you don't know why they're not doing it already, what makes you think you're in a position to competently advocate for change?

Because I have the right to express my thoughts and ideas!

• Options

You have whatever rights PCGS permits you on their forum.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh the Pain! :#

• Options
    MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,891 ✭✭✭✭✭

The easy solution, of course, is not to be concerned with the CAC sticker in the first place.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2022 12:44PM

@MasonG said:
    You have whatever rights PCGS permits you on their forum.

And what makes you think that I have violated any PCGS policies here?
    I'm just expressing my ideas, oh my, sit down when you read this one, "thinking outside the box"

• Options

@alaura22 said:

??? Who said that? Not me.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@alaura22 said:

??? Who said that? Not me.

Please, when you quote my statement copy the whole statement, sometimes things are taken out of context.

• Options
    AotearoaAotearoa Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭✭✭

At least this CAC thread has a bit of originality.

Smitten with DBLCs.

• Options

@alaura22 said:
    Please, when you quote my statement copy the whole statement

I quote the part I'm responding to. The rest of your comment is irrelevant to what I have to say.

• Options

MasonG
    BTW, I bet my buddy $10 that you would comment on my post on this subject, I also doubled it by saying that you would quote me..............
    Thanks, $20 richer now.............

• Options

@alefzero said:
    Alternatively, PCGS and NGC could simply add CAC to the grade tag if the coin was sent for reholder, regrade, or reconsideration, where the grade was left unchanged and there was no conservation.

This sounds like a winner.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2022 1:40PM

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

The “OCD” conclusion sounds harsh and likely unjustified in a great many cases. That aside, I could see the lack of the physical sticker making a meaningful difference to some potential buyers, particularly in the case of especially valuable coins.

Why? With the specialized equipment the services have and the expedited nature of the express tier, I’d imagine the opportunities for the coin to become damaged would be quite small. What would you estimate would be the damage rate? 1/1,000? 1/10,000?

• Options
    edited April 30, 2022 2:06PM

@Aotearoa said:
    At least this CAC thread has a bit of originality.

Semi serious question: Since originality is a favored concept among classic collectors and there is nostalgia for older TPG plastic, is there also a premium for having the “original” sticker? I’ve never really paid attention, but are there generations of CAC stickers too? I could see something subtle like the angle of tilt required to illuminate the sticker.

• Options

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

Why? With the specialized equipment the services have and the expedited nature of the express tier, I’d imagine the opportunities for the coin to become damaged would be quite small. What would you estimate would be the damage rate? 1/1,000? 1/10,000?

I also think that the chances of damage would be extremely slim. But just because someone would feel more comfortable with the actual sticker on the holder, rather than having a record of it, doesn’t necessarily have to have anything to do with OCD.

• Options

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

@MFeld said:

@cameonut2011 said:

I also think that the chances of damage would be extremely slim. But just because someone would feel more comfortable with the actual sticker on the holder, rather than having a record of it, doesn’t necessarily have to have anything to do with OCD.

Fair point… Would you settle for paranoia or phobia? 🤣

• Options
    al410al410 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭✭

And what would make anyone think that any grading company or company that puts on additional stickers are interested in what saves collectors time or money? They are in business to make money not because collectors want to save money. Never lose sight as to the fact that MONEY is the motivator. I don't make this statement as a negative comment to any company. Its business.
    Al

• Options
    streeterstreeter Posts: 4,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

@alaura22 said:
    MasonG
    BTW, I bet my buddy $10 that you would comment on my post on this subject, I also doubled it by saying that you would quote me..............
    Thanks, $20 richer now.............

Easy tiger

Have a nice day
  • Options
    jayPemjayPem Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭✭✭

I saw another thread here today where the coins had blue CaC stickers.

• Options
    1madman1madman Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

Had them damage an already graded pcgs coin (which had to subsequently downgrade afterwards)

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 9:16PM

I don’t see why PCGS can’t return the CAC sticker back to the submitter. They returned me the NGC insert label with the grade. This way I could try and re-affix it. It’s as easy as that, problem solved.

• Options

@1madman said:

@MasonG said:

Had them damage an already graded pcgs coin (which had to subsequently downgrade afterwards)

Seems like a good reason for CAC to not agree with PCGS/NGC putting CAC stickers on reholdered coins.

• Options
    Joey29Joey29 Posts: 458 ✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 10:20PM

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Having spent a career in business, let me say this - Each business is a separate entity, each with standards and a reputation to maintain. Mistakes happen - we have seen label errors many times, and disagreed with grades as well. Obviously CAC does not sticker all coins submitted and the TPG's occasionally change grades on resubmittals. It would not be good business to entrust another entity with one's authority and approval. Cheers, RickO

• Options

@Joey29 said:

I don’t see why PCGS can’t return the CAC sticker back to the submitter. They returned me the NGC insert label with the grade. This way I could try and re-affix it. It’s as easy as that, problem solved.

It’s not nearly as easy as that and problem not solved. CAC labels are designed not to be able to be removed and reaffixed to holders. And understandably, CAC doesn’t want NGC, PCGS or anyone else attempting to do so.

• Options
    Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

Would be nice for the one submitting but I can't see CAC being ok with it.

Pocket Change Inspector

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭✭

why not simply ask CAC their opinion on this?

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file