Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

New 1924 Buff! Coin is now graded

ChrisH821ChrisH821 Posts: 6,325 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited September 2, 2022 8:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

Purchased this one raw on the bay based on decent pictures. I had to fight a bit for it, pushed the comfort zone a little for a raw coin, but I am sure glad I did! Two sets of pictures:

Less Exposure More Exposure

My only complaint is the barely noticeable spots on FIV of FIVE CENTS. They look huge in the picture though.
I think this one is a contender to replace the 65/CAC coin in my date set.
-pic of 65/cac coin removed for clarity-

Collector, occasional seller

Comments

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,592 ✭✭✭✭✭

The newp is an attractive example for sure, and very nice pictures BTW ... but I don't think it holds a shot at the graded piece, from what I can see. Especially in strike characteristics. Of course, images are always difficult.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    clarkbar04clarkbar04 Posts: 4,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 10:02PM

I don’t think that’s the same coin, considering how soon it ended and the op coin is graded. Plus it’s missing the rainbow at the top obv.

Nice coin @ChrisH821, looks every bit of a 65.

MS66 taste on an MS63 budget.
  • Options

That was the one. I was also going after the 1925 he had listed but I got beat out on that one.

@pursuitofliberty said:
    The newp is an attractive example for sure, and very nice pictures BTW ... but I don't think it holds a shot at the graded piece, from what I can see. Especially in strike characteristics. Of course, images are always difficult.

I know what you mean. In a side by side comparison though, this coin is better.

@clarkbar04 the graded coin is the MS65 that I currently have in my set, I showed it for comparison.

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just looking at the pictures, I am not sure the new (raw) coin would achieve the same grade as your slabbed coin. JMO and it could be the pictures. Cheers, RickO

• Options
    olympicsosolympicsos Posts: 695 ✭✭✭✭

Decent example in a decade full of weak strikes.

• Options
    MWallaceMWallace Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

Spots always look much worse on enlarged photos. I don't like spots but always take that into account when considering a coin. As a friend once told me, with magnification you can always find something wrong with a coin.

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I believe that the "less exposure" picture shows more of the details of the coin, the picture of "more exposure" shows more of how the coin would actually look in hand, either way the"24" is a tough coin to get well struck, yours looks terrific.

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Looks like a nice score! Based on your photos, I like your 65 CAC coin better, but the other one looks great as well, and you got it for 64 money.

• Options
    TriPodBuffaloTriPodBuffalo Posts: 106 ✭✭✭

Nice score on the 24! I like it.

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

@olympicsos said:
    Decent example in a decade full of weak strikes.

Indeed! As a matter of fact, notice how the date is slightly lighter rendered than the rest of the date. This would become a huge problem in 1925 with all the first two numerals looking weak from the poor quality control at the time.

The central strike is better, especially the knot. Too bad about that "junk" near the Denomination.

It's still a 65 in my book, and better made than most for that date and mint in 1924.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    stockdude_stockdude_ Posts: 456 ✭✭✭

The raw coin has a slightly better strike especially on the reverse.

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

Very nice coin. Would Conservation Service submission be able to remove the spots from the reverse?

• Options

@sumdunce said:
    Very nice coin. Would Conservation Service submission be able to remove the spots from the reverse?

I would be worried about losing the very nice color that it has... there might be a way to but I am not sure.

• Options
    sumduncesumdunce Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭✭

I guess I misread the wording on the Coin Restoration page:
    "PCGS Restoration will not remove original toning simply to make a coin white."

I was under the impression they could remove spots (carbon spots) while leaving the original toning.

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great strike on that one based on the images. I see no reason why it would grade less than a 65 going by the pics. IF the luster is booming it could even grade higher. I like your 24 quite a bit. Nice addition 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow. Great job!

The seller cost himself a lot of money selling the coin raw.

• Options
    WilliamFWilliamF Posts: 832 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow! Love that color, nice full horn too! :)

."It's a dangerous business... going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don't keep your feet, there's no knowing where you might be swept off to" -JRR Tolkien_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________Outstanding BST transactions as a seller, buyer and trader with: ----- mustanggt, Kliao, claudewill87, MWallace, paesan, mpbuck82, moursund, basetsb, lordmarcovan, JWP, Coin hunter 4, COINS MAKE CENTS, PerryHall, Aspie_Rocco, Braddick, DBSTrader2, SanctionII, Histman, The_Dinosaur_Man, jesbroken, CentSearcher ------ANA Member #3214817

• Options
    Alltheabove76Alltheabove76 Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭

What was the hammer price raw?

• Options

@skier07 said:
    Wow. Great job!

True, but there are always risks buying raw coins. For each gem there are numerous flops.

@Alltheabove76 said:

If I remember correctly it was a little under $400.

• Options
    alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭✭✭

So, what i'd like to know is "what was the seller thihking"?? Was he to lazy to send this coin in for grading?
    So he ended up selling it raw, you took a chance, and turned a $400 coin into a $3000 coin
    WOW
    Great job!
    Congrats

• Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congratulations 👍

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,534 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice score for 64 money! Given the 66 grade I suspect the luster is much better than the Trueview indicates.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice rip, congrats on the grade.

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    1Bufffan1Bufffan Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

What a Great pick, you did very well, Great on the Grade also not many 24's will achieve that.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ChrisH821 said:

@skier07 said:
    Wow. Great job!

True, but there are always risks buying raw coins. For each gem there are numerous flops.

@Alltheabove76 said:

If I remember correctly it was a little under $400.

Agree 100%.

Most sellers on eBay allow returns, whether you think it’s right or wrong and all it takes is a couple of purchases like this and you’re way ahead of the game. And most importantly at least for me is it’s fun to do.

• Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful buff! Nice job.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file