Home U.S. Coin Forum

Another Central States show report

DscoinDscoin Posts: 319 ✭✭✭✭

So my motto with big coin shows is go early or don’t go at all thus I rolled into the hotel parking lot at 11:15 Wednesday morning for PNG “day” at Central States. This was my first time doing a PNG day so I didn’t know what to expect. At this show they roped off most of the bourse and had the dealers temporally set up in an assigned area. This basically ended up being dealer day where you had to go to each dealer and ask them to dig through their boxes of inventory since very few of them showcased anything for PNG day. I wasn’t in the mood to dig through endless boxes of slabs since I was coming back Wednesday evening for early bird so I did some lot viewing at Legend and Heritage. Lot viewing is the greatest treat for those of us that will never hold $50,000+ coins along with looking at toners in hand and seeing if their pictures do them justice.

Those 3 coins were some cool ones I liked from Legend. Anyhow, early bird started Wednesday at 4:30 and went to 6:30. All of the dealers were setting up and this was a great time to be at the show. I was able to purchase the last half eagle for my date set and get 40 ASE for a great price from a dealer that specializes in ancient coins. Prices were high for the most part on nicer stuff, generic gold was priced at wholesale at a lot of tables. ASE were being bought at spot +$6 and sold at $36 and higher.
After early bird ended at 6:30 I went and got some bbq for supper from a place right down the road, the burnt ends were fantastic!!

After a good night of rest and a trip to morning mass at a local church I arrived at the show at 9:00 for early bird again. By the time doors opened at 10:00 the line to sign in was over 100 people long. The bourse was hopping all morning. I dropped some coins off with @messydesk to photograph including my new quarter eagle. Here are some pics from Thursday:

I stuck around until 1:00 and then decided it was time to start the long drive home. I will show my 2 pickups. I will definitely try to go to this show again. It’s dealer quality and quantity is very close to FUN and summer ANA in my opinion. The hotel is very nice and if you have some wheels or don’t mind taking a taxi there are tons of places to eat within a mile or two.

Successful transactions with: Lakesammman, jimineez1, Flackthat, PerryHall, bidask, bccox, TwistedArrow1962, free_spirit, alexerca, scooter25, FHC, tnspro, mcarney1173, moursund, and SurfinxHI (6 times)

Comments

• SurfinxHISurfinxHI Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭✭✭

Congrats on the set finish! I’m glad you found the missing link!

Dead people tell interesting tales.
  • SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

Sweet report and pics! Thanks.

• pcgscacgoldpcgscacgold Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report. You managed to get me in a photo. Back to the camera talking with Doug Winter. Glad you found a couple coins. I came home empty handed but felt it was a great show to attend. I can’t wait for the ANA in August.

• RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,359 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report, thank you for posting it! Glad you found 2 coins you are happy with!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and images!

I like your new Indian!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice report and coins. Thanks for stopping by!

• joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,787 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful report.
    Makes me think I'm actually there again!
    :D
    You took more pics of coins, I didn't.
    Awesome!
    :)

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for a great report - good pictures. Those burnt ends look tasty. Cheers, RickO

• Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and fantastic pics!
    Nice newbies as well. That date set you have assembled is beautiful. You must be very happy with it.

• kazkaz Posts: 9,052 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the report and photos. Great looking Indians you have there!

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report, photos, and pickups. Thanks for posting!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • 291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,898 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice wide aisles but that concrete floor looks brutal. Glad you enjoyed the show!

All glory is fleeting.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

@291fifth said:
    Nice wide aisles but that concrete floor looks brutal. Glad you enjoyed the show!

That's so the convention center can rent booth holders carpet! >:)

• WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the show report.
    Like the pictures you provided especially of the gold coins and collections.
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for posting. Wish I could have been there.

Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 22,995 ✭✭✭✭✭

Totally cool. Thanks for sharing.
    On a side note: What the heck is a "Large Cent Face-off"?

peacockcoins

• breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great report and photos. Like your two new gold Indians. Nice.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• VeepVeep Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭✭

The Large Cent Face-off is a competition between two dealers in those coins. They selected 30 of the same certified dates from their own collections, by Sheldon variety, and displayed them side-by -side. Viewers were invited to vote on the best collection. There’s no prize other than the loser will buy dinner for the winner. Steve Ellsworth (Butternut Coins) was one of the dealers. I don’t recall the other.

"Let me tell ya Bud, you can buy junk anytime!"
  • messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,642 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Veep said:
    The Large Cent Face-off is a competition between two dealers in those coins. They selected 30 of the same certified dates from their own collections, by Sheldon variety, and displayed them side-by -side. Viewers were invited to vote on the best collection. There’s no prize other than the loser will buy dinner for the winner. Steve Ellsworth (Butternut Coins) was one of the dealers. I don’t recall the other.

I heard from Steve Ellsworth that winner had to buy the loser dinner. Walter Husak was the other contestant, and he was declared the winner this afternoon.

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been going to shows large and small shows since the late 70's. I can not remember ever having a carpeted venue. Probably easier to clean up mustard stains from concrete than carpet :D

• air4mdcair4mdc Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭

My wife and I ended up going to show Friday afternoon, which was a last-minute decision to attend this year. At 1:45 pm we pretty much just walked in with only one couple ahead of us in line. Upon entering the bourse, I noticed several uniformed LEOs as well as many off duty plain clothes and show security. There appeared to be more of a younger crowd as this show as in previous CSNS shows. I would later find out that these were young dealers, very good at what they do. Electronic dealers so to speak. The new generation of dealers. I also observed some young kids with a parent purchasing coins. Nice to see.
    My first stop was a to submit some gold and some 21 Peace dollars (FS) to PCGS for grading. My mission was to seek out a 1921 Peace, 66 or better with a nice strike, a nice toned 64 Kennedy (AH) or a nice toned 58 Franklin, all CAC stickered. I did locate a 58 Franklin, but the price was too high for my liking. Struck out on all. I really wasn't prepared to make any significant purchases this show, due to some home projects the past several months that have kept me busy. I did speak with some great people at the show, as always. I sure did miss Fred at the show. I always enjoyed seeing his coins/currency and speaking with him. There seemed to be a lot of silver being dumped. One dealer was taking possession of what seemed like a couple of hundred raw Peace dollars. There was moderate dealer action from what I perceived Friday midafternoon. Some dealers were packing up and several had already left the show. It was a good crowd, nicely laid out and very welcoming. All my dealer experiences were great! I did make a currency purchase, two consecutives, 100$ error bills 63 and 64 PMG. I believe I did overhear a dealer telling a couple of dealers stating that someone walked off with a $6000 priced bill but was caught. She then pointed to which bill it was in the case to the two dealers. I also purchased a newly written book from Mike Garafolo that I am excited to read.
    For the few hours we were there we had fun. Not enough time to really peruse the selections, but enough time to talk and have fun and look at some great inventory. If I only had an unlimited coin budget.

• darktonedarktone Posts: 8,437 ✭✭✭

I went today. Half the dealers were gone before the doors opened and only about 25% didn’t pack up to leave in the next couple hours. I feel sorry for anyone that goes Sunday.

• Stingray63Stingray63 Posts: 299 ✭✭✭

I like those gold Indians.
    Not so sure about the food they served. Or I should say the way they served it. Guess with inflation and the way prices are going up they had to cut out the paper plates. Lol.
    Seriously, great update. Thanks for sharing the pics!

Pocket Change Inspector

• KliaoKliao Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭

@darktone said:
    I went today. Half the dealers were gone before the doors opened and only about 25% didn’t pack up to leave in the next couple hours. I feel sorry for anyone that goes Sunday.

Saturday was the last day of the show which explains the number of dealers that packed up. I was there today also, and I thought the bourse still had a healthy number of dealers still there.

Young Numismatist/collector
    75 Positive BST transactions buying and selling with 45 members and counting!
    instagram.com/klnumismatics

• Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,115 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Veep said:

Sounds like a modern version of large cent whist, that the old time EAC guys used to play.

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file