Home U.S. Coin Forum

Ideas for a "Denominations" Box of Twenty... UPDATED...

lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 28, 2022 8:30AM in U.S. Coin Forum

Hey Everyone... I've been playing around with themes for a "Box of 20" and came up with a US Denominations theme... I've come up with 19 coins. Without resorting to a $4 Stella (aka: Unobtainium)... what other denomination might fit in this fictitious "box":

Denominations

1 Half-Cent
2 Large Cent
3 Small Cent
4 2-Cent
5 3CN
6 3C-Silver
7 Half Dime
8 Nickel
9 Dime
10 20-Cent
11 Quarter
12 Half Dollar
13 Dollar-Silver
14 Dollar-Gold
15 $2.5 Gold
16 $3 Gold
17 $5 Gold
18 $10 Gold
19 $20 Gold

Collecting: Dansco 7070; Middle Date Large Cents (VF-AU); Box of 20;

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

Comments

• Batman23Batman23 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

How about a Dollar-Small size (1979-current)

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@lkenefic ,
    That's a great Idea and after some thought I would add a Colonial issued coin at the beginning of the list just to encompass the full spectrum of "US Coinage".

Just an idea.

also, and it doesn't really matter, but I would list 'Half Dime' after Nickel and before Dime.
    Again I think this is a great project to work on and may have to steal your idea for myself. :D
    boston

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• CatbertCatbert Posts: 6,549 ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree with the Colonial comment!

"Got a flaming heart, can't get my fill"
  • hbarbeehbarbee Posts: 167 ✭✭✭

There are current bullion coins in denominations of $25., $50. and $100.

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • Golden Dollar (2000-) Sacagawea or Presidential, etc
    • 12.5c Piece of Eight
    • $25 gold eagle 1986-
    • $50 gold eagle 1983-
    • $50 Pan Pac
  • csanotescsanotes Posts: 458 ✭✭✭

Any random denomination pattern.

Chance favors the prepared mind.

• lilolmelilolme Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any particular pattern that might interest you?

https://youtube.com/watch?v=2YNufnS_kf4 - Mama I'm coming home ...................................................................................................................................................................... RLJ 1958 - 2023

• MaywoodMaywood Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭✭✭

Interesting idea.

• numismanumisma Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭✭

How about a double denomination error? For example, a PCGS-certified Lincoln cent on a Roosevelt dime planchet, or $0.11 denomination.

And if the double denomination error doesn't work for you, consider a 1792 half disme. Basically a half dime, but different. Less expensive than the Unobtanium $4 Stella you mentioned in the OP, but still a lot of cabbage.

• Jzyskowski1Jzyskowski1 Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2022 3:42PM

Anything modern and I can’t see how you can not include the ASE. 😉🙀🦫
    95 W or 2019 S Enhanced

🎶 shout shout, let it all out 🎶

• DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

I do this with 3 ring binders sheets of 20 in 2x2s.

20 different each:
    Metals
    Indians
    Shapes
    Bimetallics
    Denominations
    Barrel shaped tokens
    Encased cents

For denominations I started with 1mil and there’s all sorts with tokens to make it easy.

For your set I might do a trade dollar

• coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,715 ✭✭✭✭✭

As this is a denomination set I would drop the silver or gold dollar (no need to double up on the dollar denomination) and add the AGE $25 and $50 denominations. I like the colonial suggestion but again it seems to be a duplicate denomination.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • DNADaveDNADave Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    As this is a denomination set I would drop the silver or gold dollar (no need to double up on the dollar denomination) and add the AGE $25 and $50 denominations. I like the colonial suggestion but again it seems to be a duplicate denomination.

The Cent and 3 cents are duplicates too. How are platinum bullion coins denominated?

• alaura22alaura22 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

@COCollector said:
    A classic commemorative (1892 - 1954).

I agree, a commemorative fits perfect here, Check out one of the registry type sets

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 23,892 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a Pine Tree Shilling.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,897 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would throw in a Fugio or a key date ASE in 70.

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the idea of adding the Trade Dollar.... Cheers, RickO

edited April 30, 2022 8:39AM

@DNADave said:

@coinbuf said:

The Cent and 3 cents are duplicates too. How are platinum bullion coins denominated?

I do not know for sure, but I think the same as the AGE's unless one was a $100 coin. You are correct that the list does have some duplication (add the half dime and nickel to the list of duplicate denominations), but that is almost unavoidable to get to twenty coins.

My Lincoln Registry

• TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,589 ✭✭✭✭✭

$50 Humbert or Pan Pac.

Platinum Eagles are denominated at $100

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:
    As this is a denomination set I would drop the silver or gold dollar (no need to double up on the dollar denomination) and add the AGE $25 and $50 denominations. ** I like the colonial suggestion but again it seems to be a duplicate denomination.

I'm not sure that the 'colonial' would be a duplicate denomination

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

edited April 30, 2022 11:30AM

@1630Boston said:

@coinbuf said:
    As this is a denomination set I would drop the silver or gold dollar (no need to double up on the dollar denomination) and add the AGE $25 and $50 denominations. ** I like the colonial suggestion but again it seems to be a duplicate denomination.

I'm not sure that the 'colonial' would be a duplicate denomination

What was the value that the piece you posted would trade in commerce for in the late 1600's? I do not know and may be wrong, but I think it was used as a denomination already on the op list.

It seems that many who have posted are thinking type not domination, for example someone suggested a fugio (a colonial type coin) which is a cent. Certainly a fugio could be used to fill the cent slot but it is a duplicate of the dominations already on the op's list. Same with the ASE, which has a face value of a dollar, which is already on the list, twice actually.

My Lincoln Registry

• lermishlermish Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the idea. I would remove one of the duplicates values (probably half dime) and add in $25 palladium and $100 platinum so all metals are represented also.

• cameonut2011cameonut2011 Posts: 10,060 ✭✭✭✭✭
    • A $50 Panama Pacific round or a $50 gold bullion coin.
    • A Colonial
    • A clad dollar (e.g. Ike)

Or you could just stop at 19 coins and add a PCGS certified U.S. Mint medal. Save you a lot of money and it ties in a bit.

I’m not a fan of Carr and disagree with much of his work philosophically, but didn’t he make Stellas? PCGS has slabbed some of his other stuff so if that’s your thing, maybe you could fill the $4 slot after all.

• lkeneficlkenefic Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭

I see two approaches emerging... Type vs Denomination... I was more leaning towards the Type approach since those are the coins that mainly circulated in day to day commerce. In that sense, a Fugio Cent would fit. I can also appreciate the strict Denomination approach. I'd be more inclined to drop the 3 cent duplicate and add in a $25 and $50... even though the bullion pieces don't really circulate...

Interesting thought...

Successful BST transactions with: SilverEagles92; Ahrensdad; Smitty; GregHansen; Lablade; Mercury10c; copperflopper; whatsup; KISHU1; scrapman1077, crispy, canadanz, smallchange, robkool, Mission16, ranshdow, ibzman350, Fallguy, Collectorcoins, SurfinxHI, jwitten, Walkerguy21D, dsessom.

@lkenefic said:
    I see two approaches emerging... Type vs Denomination... I was more leaning towards the Type approach since those are the coins that mainly circulated in day to day commerce. In that sense, a Fugio Cent would fit. I can also appreciate the strict Denomination approach. I'd be more inclined to drop the 3 cent duplicate and add in a $25 and $50... even though the bullion pieces don't really circulate...

Interesting thought...

Then there is the $100 platinum coin too.

Even though it wouldn't be a strict denomination set, I like what you had and would add a colonial personally. It is more intriguing than moderns or bullion to me.

• coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,721 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2022 5:17PM

A few ideas that one might consider:

Consider adding a Trade Dollar separately because of it's intended purpose which was overseas trade. I have a vague recollection that Trade Dollars were demonetized for a period which does really does place their need and use in a separate category that could be recognized within the scope of what you are doing here.

Another option is to include an 8Reales coin. I suspect several may object to this choice but 8Reales were accepted in the US until around 1856.So if the goal is really to capture coinage that widely circulated in the US and it's territories, this could be an option.

I suppose another option would be to include a coin from the Philippines - denomination of your choice. Theoretically a Peso coin could work given the exchange rate between the Dollar and the Peso.

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• ZwiggyZwiggy Posts: 37 ✭✭✭

Great idea!

I would second the 20th coin being a Trade Dollar.

If you added the $25 and $50 bullions, you would have to consider the $100 platinum and the $5 and $10 gold bullion (totally different from an eagle) too.

Hello Everyone... just an update on the direction this personal "Box of Twenty" has taken me. After thinking about it, the "Denominations" Box has a lot of overlap with my current Dansco 7070 Type set. I suppose if one wanted to do a Denominations Box instead of plunging into a 7070 (big commitment) it could be a viable alternative, but having duplicates of 2-cent; 3-cent; 20 cent, etc... just wasn't doing it for me and I still wanted the Gold Type without having to resort to the Gold Page of the 7070 (if you can find one).

So, using the suggestions from this thread and the poll I conducted, I've started on this journey:

Coin # Denom. Type Date Range
    1. 1/2 C (other than 7070) Hard-Times Token HT-73 "One Half Cent of Pure Copper" 1837
    2. 1P Colonial, New Jersey 1787 Sprig Above Plow 1787

3. 1C Fugio Cent: First Federal Contract Coinage 1787
    4. 1C (1st Issue Large Cent) Liberty Cap: 1794 Head of '94 1794
    5. 1C (Large Cent) Hard-Times Token HT- Millions for Defence 1837

6. 1C (Large Cent) Hard-Times Token HT- Fuechtwanger Composition 1837
    7. 1C (Small Cent) Indian Head Cent MS63/4, CAC or EE 1880-90's
    8. 50C Flowing Hair Type, Sm. Eagle 1795
    9. 50C Draped Bust, Type II, Large Eagle 1801-1807
    10. 8R 8-Reales (Chopped) 1790's
    11. $1 Trade Dollar (Chopped) 1873-1885
    12. $1 Silver- Morgan Dollar DMPL 1878-1921
    13. 1/4 Dollar California Fractional 1871
    14. 1/2 Dollar California Fractional 1849-1880
    15. $1 1$ Gold Princess T-1 1853
    16. $2.50 Indian Head: PCGS AU58 1925-D
    17. $3 Princess 1854-1889
    18. $5 Liberty Head: PCGS AU58 1881
    19. $10 Indian Head 1907-33
    20. $20 St. Gaudens 1907-32

I believe these are more reflective of the history of coinage (Post-1776) in this country. There's still a little bit of overlap with the 7070 but the Indian Head Cent and Morgan Dollar are the two pieces that really got me interested in Numismatics in the first place. The pieces in Bold are already in my collection. I'll image them over the summer... Here are a couple with Trueviews:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file